02/13 Kabosu 455 AMPS Refuses to eat for 10 hours. PM shot?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dasha and Kabosu, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

Hi all,

Kabosu spent the whole day today lying on the bathroom floor, only waking up three times to drink and pee. He ate A LOT last night (woke us up at least five times), and was active in the morning and ate chicken breast before his 4.5U injection this AM.
    Since then he's been lying on the bathroom floor, looking very weak. It's been almost ten hours since he last ate, and he just vomited a lot of food.
    His BG was very high the whole day.

Should I take him to the emergency vet now? I'm really worried, it is very unlike him to not eat for the whole day. He is refusing even his favourite foods.

Previous post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...adirs-dose-increase-pancreatic-enzymes.243019

2. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

3. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

Sorry, if I am misusing the 911 tag!

4. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

No I just tagged the MODS to help you:) @carfurby @tiffmaxee

5. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

6. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

What kinds of food have you tried to entice him with? Is he a tuna lover?

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I would go the ER. Sounds like in pain from pancreatitis. Maybe nauseous too.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

9. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

I haven't yet. Just got the strips but did not manage to get a sample when he last peed. Will try when he pees again!

Tried everything: chicken broth, boiled chicken breast, his favourite wet foods, even one in gravy, salmon - he's not interested. I did not have any cat tuna, but just tried to give him some canned tuna (for human consumption) and he refused.

He's been treated for pancreatitis already a couple of weeks ago, that time he did not even have any inappetence. I'm really hoping he'll eat soon!

Do you think this is something that can wait until morning or should we take him right now? There is just one emergency vet open at the moment.

10. Wendy&Neko

Do you have ketones test strips? Anything above trace means a vet now.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  11. tiffmaxee

Pancreatitis cones and goes if chronic. It’s treated according to symptoms that can return. This could very well be due to ketones but if negative it could still be pancreatitis.

12. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

If he's suffering from ketoacidosis, it's important to get him treated as soon as possible with IV fluids, anti-nauseal and appetite stimulants to get him to eat to prevent hepatic lipidosis. Since you haven't been able to test for his ketones, I would bring him to the ER to be extra cautious.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  13. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

Just tested for ketones, and it was negative (I hope the strips are fine, the first time I am using them).
    He just vomited again, and then went back to the bathroom. Still refusing tuna. I gave him 12ml subcutaneous fluids now.

14. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

Should I give him insulin now? It's time for his evening shot. He has not eaten since morning, but his BG is very high.

15. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

If you can't get him to the vet today, do you have any meds to give him for pain and nausea? inappetence meds?
    Butters had a severe episode of pancreatitis a few months ago and her first sign that time was inappetence. I hope you can get Kabosu to the vet soon.

Sorry I can't advise on whether to give insulin or not. I see the numbers have been high, but I'm worried about the not eating. That's concerning for other reasons too, like hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver). Cats need to eat. If he were my cat I'd take him to the ER.

Pamela & Amethyst and tiffmaxee like this.
  16. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

I only have gapapentin for pain, but I don't know how to give it to him, as he's not eating.. Usually, I'd mix it with food.

17. tiffmaxee

I agree with Lyla. Tge first sign of pancreatitis for Max was inappetence. Always. Other signs not as consistent were loose stool and vomiting.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  18. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

Could I maybe give him a smaller dose of insulin today? Not sure what to do. He is 400+ right now despite not having eaten for 12 hours. On the other hand, I will fall sleep and won't be able to monitor him very well

19. Wendy&Neko

I would definitely give insulin. At least half should be fine.

20. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

Thank you! I gave him 3.5U (instead of 4.5U).

21. tiffmaxee

Would you please remove the 911? Of course put it back if needed. Thanks.

22. Hercule's mum

Any news? Sending positive thoughts for Kabosu!

23. Dasha and Kabosu

Dasha and Kabosu Member

Thank you! He started eating again! Looks like that was a pancreatitis flare.

24. Hercule's mum

Thanks for the update. I am glad he is feeling better!