? 1/3 Lady AMPS 362 +2 322 +4 365 +6 409 +9 412 +10 392

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by EM96, Mar 1, 2021.

1. EM96

EM96 New Member

Hi, Lady has been on Lantus for 2 weeks now at 2 Units and this was her readings for yesterday, and the vet has said to up her to 3 units but I was wondering whether you guys thought that it would be ok to do this, when I was under the impression that only going up 0.5 max was what was supposed to be done.

AMPS 362 +2 322 +4 365 +6 409 +9 412 +10 392 +11 427 PMPS 421

Link to her readings for yesterday and some of today, we were using a pet meter but we decided to use the Freestyle Libre for the every 2 hours check the vet wanted and I didn't know how to combine them so the spreadsheet in the signature is different to what was used for this and is posted here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MPZIFE7GWosDvdXs5Ee8ZgeyH0PoHB7mvjVzJi2YQd0/edit?usp=sharing

Sorry, still really new to this all.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

EM96 likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ellie
    I posted on your first thread. I am also from Australia and I gave you some links to Australian information.
    Did you get the syringes so that you could use them instead of the solostar pen and can give smaller increases?

I see you are feeding dry royal canine biscuits. Instead of increasing the dose of insulin, you would be better to get rid of the dry food and switch fully over to a low carb wet diet.....do it over a few days and watch the BG closely as the BG can drop 5 or more points with the withdrawal of dry food. . That would be far better than increasing the dose of insulin.
    The dry food is like feeding candy. You will need less insulin with the dry food out of the picture.
    Also I would only increase in 0.25 units (if needed) after you do the swap to an all wet low carb diet.

It would be helpful if you could put in the remarks column of the SS what and when you feed Please.

Keep asking questions.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Bandit's Mom and EM96 like this.
  4. EM96

EM96 New Member

Hi,

Thanks for replying again. We have for the last couple days to keep her off the biscuits and just been giving her wet food from the 27th of Feb but this morning she did get some biscuits, whoops, it wasn't much... We did order some syringes they're still coming.

Thank You

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest the same thing as Bron. Now that you have the Libre and can monitor her continuously, I would gradually remove the HC food rather than increase the dose. The food change can take up to a week to make a difference to the numbers.

Feeding HC and then giving insulin is like running an hour on the treadmill and eating a whole cake :)

EM96 likes this.
  6. EM96

EM96 New Member

Ok thank you! I'll focus on the diet for now, and on organising the syringes so I can go up in 0.25 units if needed.

Thank you!

7. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi Ellie and Lady,
    Ooops, even a few can have a big impact, George who has been in remission for some time got into some contraband (dry food for other cats) and it saw his BG go from the usual 80's into the reds, it took him maybe 48 hours to get back to normal.
    I agree with Bron ditch them completely, if you have other cats in the house I would consider transitioning them all to a wet LC diet, that's what we have done, it's too difficult to make sure they don't get any kibble, even a few bits can impact them hugely.
    We had a member here who had her FD cat on wet food, but the other cats were on kibble, she was sure that he wasn't getting any kibble, anyways Scooter was on 5u of insulin, when they got rid of the dry from the house he went into remission in the space of 24 hours:eek:
    Scooters SS look at Feb 19
    Scooter into Remission (OTJ) in 24hrs

However,
    If you ditch all the dry and after a couple of days all you are getting is red and pink, if you decided to follow TR (method Here) then you could take him up by 0.5u, if on SLGS then 0.25u
    On the SS Ellie notes that she hasn't been feeding kibble for a three days already, but got into kibble today.
    :)

EM96 and Bandit's Mom like this.