? 10/11 - Djoko - amps 482 pmps 598 - dosing question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marj & Djoko, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-358-pmps-281-2-5-58-at2.239704/#post-2695241

Hello, it is no surprise to me that Djoko is not doing so great on this dose. He may have bounced at the beginning but normally, after 3-4 cycles, he is back to normal.

When would be a good time to get back to 1.5U? I think the solution may be to test him systematically at +2 every shot to prevent future quick drops and therefore hypos.

Any thoughts?

Merci!
    Marj

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

I don't give dosing advice but do think the +2/+3 to be a very helpful test. What's Djoko's feeding schedule? That's the other thing that can help with the drops.

3. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Djoko is fed obviously before his shot and then at +1, +2, +3 - I normally test him around +3 (sometimes 3.5) and based on the result of his test, I feed him again or wait at +4. He is used to eating throughout the day. He has chronic pancreatitis so this is to give his pancreas a break. Normally, the last meal at night is at +5 or +6 (depending on his bg last reading). I leave a bit of food during the night with an ice pack if he is hungry and normally, when I wake up at 5.20am to give him his shot, the food is gone. He can eat 90% of his food between +1 and +3 and that would not prevent him from dropping. I may start to give him maple syrup drops to slow him down when he drops too fast. He is on a home made diet which consists of quinoa, horse, a bit of veggies, and two types of oil and supplement. It was made by a vet-nutritionist and seems to help his ibd, pancreatitis and stabilize his renal disease!
    I think the +2 - If I go back to the 1.5U - would be a must considering that his biggest drops normally happen between +12 and +2.

4. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. I was going to say maybe feed higher carb earlier in the cycle but since he's on a homemade diet adding a drop of syrup to make "medium carb" would be a good idea. I'm sure others may be on soon to help with dosing.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you. Big drops cause a bounce just like going low. I’d start setting an alarm. Blue started to do better when we started testing getting a +1 and every 30 minutes for the first 3-4 hours.

Marj & Djoko and JaxBenji like this.
  6. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Yes. I test him earlier than before but it needs to be earlier than a +3 - I agree. I know most of time it will not give anything but the times he drops fast, it will certainly help. Djoko reacts a lot to testing this is why I am trying to do it when needed.
    What about dosing Elise? Should I wait another day at 1.25 or go back to 1.5 in the morning?

7. tiffmaxee

I’d go back in the morning.

Marj & Djoko likes this.
  8. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

his +2.5 is 30

9. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I will change the time of his shot at well because the 5h20 is brutal. Maybe to 6am. I hope it will get better. He was so hungry last night he was running for food because he has been so high in the last 2-3 days. Thank you both for your input.

10. tiffmaxee

I guess he read your condo and doesn’t want more juice. I know he used to onset late but it’s changed. I would get a +1, +1,5, and +2. F any are dropping he needs higher carbs. How do you adjust for that given his special diet? If he starts to drop early under normal circumstances I would give mc.

11. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

For those of our friends in the US, that's 540.

12. tiffmaxee

@Christie & Maverick Thank you. I saw 30 and nearly had a heart attack.
    Increase as we planned.

13. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

MY BAD - 30 in world normal so 530 in american value....

14. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I am very tired and forgot to convert - I am so used to reading world value :S. Sorry Elise.
    No somehow, he never does well on 1.25U. Maybe one day..!

15. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

So sorry! That would have been crazy from 598 to 30 in 2.5 hours on 1.25U!

16. tiffmaxee

I’ve seen that happen!