10/14-Dolly-AMPS 234 - 200@2.5 -184@4.25 -170@6 -PMPS 147 -148@2 -140@3 -109@4.25

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Our Dolly Girl (GA), Oct 14, 2021.

1. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-5-206-4-25-200-6-25-pmps-269-231-2-5.254210/

Sending healing prayers to all the kitty cats and their caretakers that are not feeling their best
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Dolly is eating well on her new fishier food. She is more alert today. As soon as it comes, we will start her on the Azithromycin. Will let her IM doctor know in a week or two if there is any improvement. We need to take this a step at a time and decided not go with the original treatment plan suggested. Our next treatment may be nasal steroids that can last up to 4 months but not for every kitty. There are a few different options to consider that of course I can't remember because my brain shuts down when I am scared and I can't read my writing. Because she feels that using prednisolone may unmask underlying heart disease and cause difficulty regulating BG this would be a last resort. I am hoping her insulin increase plus the antibiotics will start bringing her numbers down. She also mentioned the possibility of Dolly being immune compromised (thanks Katherine for reminding me :bighug:). There are a few possibilities for treatment. The original plan would take months to complete due to the diagnostics needed to to ensure Dolly could safely move forward with the ctScan and scope.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  2. Jessica A

Jessica A Member

I am really glad to see that Dolly is eating well and is more alert today but am so sorry that you are going through such a scary and difficult time with her health, Adrienne. It is overwhelming and awful when our kitties aren't feeling well and there are so many unknowns. I think your plan to take it all one step at a time is a good one.

Sending so many hugs to you and to beautiful Dolly. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Our Dolly Girl (GA) likes this.
  3. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Healing hugs and prayers:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts Jessica. Sorry I haven’t visited you and Callie in awhile, Dolly’s health just put me in such a scary place. When she wouldn’t eat I just couldn’t do anything but focus on that. Also, Dolly is on 2 units, a dose she hasn’t seen in almost a year. I haven’t seen numbers like she has now since she started TR a year ago.

Callie is having a great day, so nice to see after her numbers from yesterday. I hope 4.25u is the magic dose for Callie.You are doing such a great job. Happy to see you are getting in a lot of tests. I remember when you and Callie first got here. Again, thank you so much for your kindness and support. I hope you snd Callie have a wonderful day. :bighug::bighug:

Jessica A likes this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Dolly is eating and more alert. I hope she continues to eat for you. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Dolly ate well all day till around 4:00. Had her insulin 2 hours ago and won’t eat. I gave her a few treats and she ate those so I don’t think it’s nausea. She runs away from me when I try to give her, her food. Her antibiotics just got here but it says best on an empty stomach, when is that?? Do I give her Mirtazapine again this soon, not eating for about 4 hours.
    @tiffmaxee @Bandit's Mom @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @PerfumedCatMom

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

When did she get the mirt? You can only give it every 24 hours.

8. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Saturday night. She just ate a few bites but that’s it. The antibiotic is Azithromycin, helped her for a year and then off and on since. Next step will probably be nasal steroids injected into her nose. I call her to let her know if she’s improving or not. Other than not eating tonight and being terribly congested again she seems fine. I know she is a sick kitty but I am trying to reduce her stress. Should I start the antibiotics? Should I wait till tomorrow with the Mirtazapine? I think it only took several hours for it to start working. Sorry for all the questions.

9. tiffmaxee

You can give her mirt now. I don’t know what to say about the antibiotic but an empty stomach means no food 2 hours before I think . I guess it works best on an empty stomach but I’m sure it will still work if she eats a little.

10. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thanks so much Elise. Have a good night. :bighug::bighug:

11. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Adrienne,

Sorry Dolly isn't eating. :( Often kitties who are nauseous will eat treats and kibble but it doesn't mean they are not nauseous. Giving her mirtaz and making her eat might cause food aversion. Is there any way to get some sort of anti-nausea med like Cerenia or ondansetron compounded into liquid form to give her? I don't know if it exists but maybe you can ask her vet?

12. tiffmaxee

I do t think either cerenia or ondansetron can be compounded. They can be injected but sting. I couldn’t give the shots for fear it would make testing and insulin difficult.

ondansetron can be made into a transdermal but I don’t know if it’s effective that way. Few are. I know cyproheptadine isn’t.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  13. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

It’s the not being able to smell. I got her to eat a few bites each of different flavors. She was doing so much better with the congestion the last few days and it’s windy here and the congestion came back with a vengeance. I decided not to do the Mirtazapine but started her on her antibiotics. I am leaving out wet food and her ZiwiPeak. I heard her nibbling on it during the night. Maybe if she gets hungry, actually she is terribly hungry, I could tell by the way she ate the little bit she did eat. Maybe if she knows I won’t be up to offer her more food she will eat what I left out for her. I’ve seen the antibiotic help after the first dose in the past. Thanks so much for your help. I definitely don’t think she is nauseous. I have one 4mg tablet of zophran and a ton of 4mg sublingual (?). What dose do they get just in case?

14. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thanks Elise. I have one 4 mg tablet of zophran and tons of 4 mg sublingual zophran. I don’t believe she nauseous because she finally ate a few bites. I apologize for my panic call, I’ve dealt with Dolly not eating many times but long ago. It scares me more than most other things. What is the dosage of zophran to give her?

15. tiffmaxee

How much does she weigh? Probably 1-2 mg. It can be dosed every 8 hours. Don’t apologize for being worried. We all get worried when they won’t eat.:bighug:

16. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

We are off to do another torture for Dolly snd take a steam shower. She has never been fond of it but now she hates it. If the antibiotic fail we will try possibly steroids injected into her nose, sounds very painful. If I go for the doctors original plan, it takes a few months due to the echo and different cultures she wants to run to determine what my be growing such as fungus, bacteria etc. in her nose.
    13#

17. tiffmaxee

18. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Perfect. I could give her half a tab in a pill pocket if needed and if she will eat the pill pocket. Thanks for everything :):bighug:I