? 10/19 Yuki AMPS 173 +2 101 +4 112 +7 121 +10 142 PMPS 176 - Dosing?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JC&Yuki, Oct 19, 2020.

1. JC&Yuki

JC&Yuki Member

Hi Everyone! I posted on the main forum as well, but since Yuki is on Lantus I thought maybe I should start posting on this Lantus specific forum. We recently did a BG curve after dropping her dose from 1.5 to 1 and then to 0.5 (Additional information provided on my previous post: Successful Curve Day! Dosing Advice Needed!)

Any feedback on her dose going forward would be greatly appreciated! Also, feel free to let me know if I messed up on the etiquette or format for posting on this forum, so that I can make changes for my next post. Thank you in advance!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

3. tiffmaxee

I just looked at your spreadsheet and with missing PMPS numbers and no night tests, I don’t feel comfortable advising you. As Diane mentioned many cats drop lower at night. With Lantus dosing based upon how low a dose takes the cat we only have half the information needed. We advise a test before every shot to make sure the bg is high enough to shoot. Then you feed to make sure they will eat if the bg was safe for shooting. We also strongly suggest a +2 or before bed test. Once in a while it’s good to set an alarm and grab a test between +5-7, especially if the +2 is lower than the PMPS.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. JC&Yuki

JC&Yuki Member

I’m still a little iffy on the terminology, but SLGS seems like the method that most closely fits what my vet and I have decided on. Yuki started at 1.5 units and once I started home testing I decided on my own (before my vet could provide advice) to drop her down to 1 unit because her numbers seemed low. After speaking to my vet she advised I stay at 1 unit and do another BG curve in a couple of weeks, but after receiving advice from my previous posts I decided to try 0.5 units since her numbers were still looking low on 1 unit.

5. JC&Yuki

JC&Yuki Member

Perfect! Thank you for the additional insight on nighttime testing. I will try to grab a few post dinner numbers this week.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to the LBL forum.

I think sticking to 0.5 units for now and seeing what your night time tests say is a good plan. It doesn't have to be middle of the night, maybe just before you go to bed, it it's as late as +2 or +3 it will be helpful in figuring out what is happening at night. However, if you drink a large glass of water before going to bed, you can always grab a test when you are up in the middle of the night.

Is there anything we can help you with to make those preshot tests more successful? You really do want to make sure it's safe to give insulin before injecting.

If you think you want to follow SLGS for dosing, do you might adding "SLGS" to your signature? It'll stop us from keeping on asking. ;) It's one of the first things we look for when helping someone out with dosing.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  7. JC&Yuki

JC&Yuki Member

Hi Wendy! I’ve updated my signature, thank you for the advice. I’ll start getting more nighttime numbers just to see where we’re at. I’d like to test before every shot, but that just seems unrealistic right now because my boyfriend isn’t always home at the time of their meals to help me. I’ve managed to get a few tests on my own, but it takes me much longer so Yuki gets really aggressive/frustrated. Right now we’re having to burrito wrap her in a towel and while my boyfriend holds her I prick her ear and get the number. I haven’t found a way to keep her wrapped up and secure enough so that she doesn’t break out and attack me or move her head and destroy the blood drop. She definitely won’t let me test her without burrito wrapping her and even then she fights pretty hard to get out. Any tips for testing an especially fidgety/aggressive cat?

8. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

I'm new at this too, and the better my cat feels, the more she squirms. My boyfriend has offered to help but I feel that his participation would only stress her more. Today she's been really energetic and I have to chase her around the bedroom because I never get her to bleed on the first prick and she runs away. I have cat blood stains all over my sheets because she will flick her ear when the droplet is forming. Eventually I wear her down and she sits still enough for me to prick and test. I totally feel your frustration!

JC&Yuki likes this.
  9. tiffmaxee

Are you giving a treat after each poke, whether successful or not? Soon most associate the treat with testing. If the they flick their head and you manage to get blood on your finger you can let the meter draw up the blood from your finger. Max was easy to test but not so much with fluids so a special treat did the trick. If I forgot he waited for it. Freeze dried 100% protein works well as did a piece of shrimp for him.

JC&Yuki likes this.
  10. JC&Yuki

JC&Yuki Member

I’m hoping I’ll get better at it soon! It always is such a stressful process but singing while doing it has actually helped a lot, even though she still grumbles the whole time.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  11. JC&Yuki

JC&Yuki Member

Yes! We probably go a little overboard with the treats, but she’s really food motivated so it’s almost a necessity. She definitely gets a treat or two after each attempt, but maybe I’ll try out different treats. Right now she gets freeze dried shrimps and she seems to like them. She’s started waiting for her treat once we let her out of her burrito, but always fights back during testing. Hopefully she gets better about it as time goes on.

12. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hello there! Welcome to the LB&L group. I just have to share that we too had a very difficult time getting started with the testing.

Luci was diagnosed by our vet who said she was so difficult that it would be best to euthanize her - that she wouldn't come to us for shots and most certainly would not allow any testing. What a dire guy he was!

So I started searching the web and found this wonderful group of people who encouraged me to try several things. At first DH had to hold on to Luci to keep her from escaping and fighting with us but after a while she sorta got used to the idea. I found it especially helpful to call to her and put her on the testing towel in the same place every day - several times a day - without doing any poking at all. I'd just pick her up, set her on the towel, pet her a bit and talk to her and then she got a treat! No poking involved...we did that over and over and over...and every now and then - well she did get a poke...but soon she started to come more willingly and the next thing I knew she was SITTING on the towel WAITING FOR ME! I was stunned! I thought it was so funny I took a picture of her laying there like a queen - waiting for her servant to come and provide the necessary routine in order for her to get that treat.

I use a warm rice filled sock to stroke her head, neck and shoulders a bit - she seems to love that warm massage - and then I place it under her ear, and do the poke while I support her ear with it.

It does take time, but she doesn't object at all now...in fact some times she purrs through the whole process..

So, be patient with your Yuki...try some of these tricks...and please get those pre-shot tests - they are so critical. You'd never want to give insulin should that number be too low.

Please post again tomorrow! We'll be looking for you to see how you and Yuki are doing. Nice job with setting up your first post in the LB&L forum! :)

JC&Yuki likes this.
  13. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

I remember that @Cheryl & Jazzy had success with singing too! Cosmo was squirmy until we realized he wanted to be ‘part of the process’ including smelling, rubbing his face on the meter and strip container for a bit, then he wanted to see the dull side of the poker. After each test, he gets annoyed if we don’t let him see the reading :joyful: and wants to nibble on the tissue we use to clean off any left over drops on his ear.

14. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

I started singing "You are My Sunshine" to Ruby today as I try to prick her. I don't know if it calms her but it makes me feel better while I'm doing it, which I think is more than half the battle.

15. JC&Yuki

JC&Yuki Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that! I will definitely try your tips out, so that she hopefully slowly gets used to the process. For now I’ll still have to burrito wrap her with a towel during testing, but I’m sure associating the towel with a treat will eventually get her used to it.

16. Cheryl & Jazzy

Cheryl & Jazzy Well-Known Member

We were in the same situation with Jazzy. It took two of us to test him. I wrapped him in his towel and my husband did the pick. He wasn't home at the right times all the time either. I tried myself a couple times, but gave up. I finally decided that I was in charge and it was gonna get done. I still have to burrito him (which he absolutely hates) and I sit cross legged of the floor with him trapped in my legs facing outward and do his test. I surprised myself when it actually worked for me. I do sing to him, but I did from the beginning. I don't think he cares about that at all, I don't know. I keep singing tho. He gets some chin scritches and a treat after. And then slaps me as I walk away. Lol. He's a bit of a grump sometimes. But once you get the hang of it, it's easy enough to do. Good luck with your sugar kitty :bighug:

JC&Yuki likes this.