10/22 - Dolly - AMPS237 - 209+3.25 - 196+4.5 - 225+7 PMPS 230 - 0.5 on ketone meter

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Our Dolly Girl (GA), Oct 22, 2020.

1. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...mited-eating-very-little.237154/#post-2662429
    I put most of the information in my last post. My husband is having surgery tomorrow morning. We have to leave at 6:15am, normal shot time 7:00am, 1.25 units Lantus. I have been moving shot times back each day. My concern is whether I give her insulin at all. She is a grazer and total social eater. I can't leave her after insulin unless I know she has had enough to eat. We will be gone 4-5 hours. Wendy suggested I wait to give her insulin till when I get home and then again the next morning (about 18 hours). I liked that idea but then realized I would have to pull food when I leave so she has fasted pre shot. I don't like that idea. I know her numbers have been pretty flat lately. I just need to know the best way to go. Also there will be housekeepers here making it less likely she will eat much. I know I should just use my common sense based on her AMPS # and whether she eats preshot. I apologize for wasting anyone's time but I am conflicted about not giving insulin should she not eat enough. Sorry and thank you.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I would do the 18 hour and not worry about picking up the food. Then based upon her bg decide on what to do. I think not pulling food will not be an issue unless she’s under 100.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  3. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you. I feel silly making this such a big deal but I am always home with her post shot. It’s been a year already with7 months of remission. You’d think I would know by now how she will react in most situations but I’ve learned that she doesn’t always do the expected. This time feels very different from her initial diagnosis to remission. Thank you again, :) I feel so much better

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I've had the exact same issue - but the person having the surgery was me!

I had an auto feeder set up - which really helped me have peace of mind and not worry all day (well I was under anesthesia for 4 hours of that day)...but you know what I mean....

Sometimes when I have obligations that take me away from home for a longer period of time than usual, I reduce the dose AND leave food in the auto-feeder.

We all have lives that sometimes conflict with our kitties.

There's also that 18 hour idea.

You'll have to see what her BG reading is in the morning to make the final decision on whether to shoot or wait until you get home. It's not the end of the world if the shot is missed altogether - it's like a furshot - FS - only in this case it's intentional. It happens...and Dolly will get back to the usual routine at the very next shot time.

5. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much. If I was having surgery and anesthesia I’d be a wreck. Unfortunately, I don’t trust others to care for Dolly. My husband is wonderful and gives Dolly her shots but I prefer to do everything else. He’s a man, obviously, and just not as particular as I am. Maybe it’s my age. Anyway, it’s so comforting to hear others experiences. Thanks again!!!

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I hope the surgery goes well. :bighug:

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

It was a long day..by the time I got home late in the day I was ready to go to bed - funny, huh, wake up from anesthesia while the nurses are yelling at you - breathe deep, breathe deep...blah, blah, blah...and then they pop you up and out the door you go...

Luci's numbers were fine and DH took over the afternoon shift that day - I must have gotten up to give her the PM shot - he doesn't give shots at all...

Best of luck with the surgery tomorrow...I know that's a lot of stress for both of you - and the last thing you need is to worry all day about Dolly!

8. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much :bighug::bighug:

9. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Dolly is 0.5 on her Ketone meter, do I need to worry? She is drinking more than usual. Her urine has that smell like in the very beginning at diagnosis I am scared.How often do I check for ketones?

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

No, the worry zone for blood ketone meters is 2.4 to 2.6. Keep an eye on it, check daily to see if its increasing, make sure she gets extra water in her food.

Paws crossed for good outcomes tomorrow. :bighug:

11. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much, I can breathe. So worried. She’s been drinking a lot more than usual. Peeing a lot more. I will add the water to her food and keep close watch. You have no idea how much your response means to me. Thank you. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Wendy&Neko

You've got enough to worry about tomorrow. :bighug:

13. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Reading more about ketones and that there is only one meter that is acceptable, not what I have. Dolly is drinking a lot of water , peeing a lot. Her glucose numbers are not horrible. I would probably say there is glucose in her urine. It’s happened before and with concerns about husbands surgery, can’t think straight. Have to believe she shouldn’t miss a shot. I need to get some sleep but won’t if worried. Is insulin not working possibly? But BG is not up or down. Why the increased drinking? I am a wreck. I’m sorry for all the drama. Going to try to sleep, have to be up at 4:30am. I apologize if I don’t read a post until then. Husbands surgery is the priority. :( Just starting to breathe from Dolly’s pancreatitis scare.

14. Wendy&Neko

This post lists two blood ketones meters. What brand do you have?

Dolly's numbers are mostly yellows, probably above renal threshold. That's one reasons she's drinking and peeing a lot.

15. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Ketodoc