10/27 Olive's AM BG 91+14, 94+16, 141+17 without insulin

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by OlivesMom, Oct 27, 2020.

1. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...2-163-3-240-6-5-holistic-actions-info.237532/

Here's a predicament I didn't think I'd find myself in again, not with Olive's numbers consistently on the higher side. I tried something different last night when I found her numbers so high, so I fed my normal half and half raw/FF mix at PMPS and then I waited until +4.5 to feed her again when I would normally feed +3. I'm trying to span out her night time meals a bit to see if she'll eat more when she IS fed and to also see what her BG levels would do. So at +4.5 I fed her 4 tsp of plain raw. By the +9.75 test she was at 137 and so I figured she'd be rising now and so I didn't want to get her too high, so I fed her 3 tsp at this meal and incorporated 25% FF knowing how just one tsp spiked her yesterday while I was out. I was hoping to be able to shoot at a lower number this AM. I've only shot 130 as her lowest. So imagine my surprise when I got up just now to find she'd continued to drop since +10 and is now at 87. I wasn't expecting that in the least. Because she started the last cycle off at 400, I'm deathly afraid to shoot at 87. Any advice?

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

With SLGS you don't shoot anything below 90. You can either skip or stall without feeding and see if her numbers come up and then shoot. If you shoot, you'll need to be available to monitor all day and you'll want to get a +1 and a +2. I am at work and cannot stay with you.

Also, she earned a reduction with the 87.

3. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I just tried stalling and rechecked and she's dropped to 76 now, so I had to feed her. Ugh. I won't be home at the middle of the cycle as I'll be at the vet's office with Cindy. Wow...a reduction in insulin.

4. carfurby (GA)

I'd skip and leave some food out for her while you're at the vet if you need to. I hope Cindy's visit goes well.

5. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Thanks! This has really upset the apple cart now. She's going to climb and go into the black for a cycle or two without the insulin.

6. carfurby (GA)

But she'll come back down.

7. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I do have a question. What if I treat the +12 number as I would any other stage of the cycle and 2 hours after feeding her if her BG is high enough to shoot, could you just consider the +14 as her NEW +12 number, especially with the upcoming time change? I've wondered this before.

8. carfurby (GA)

You can do that as long as you shoot your PM shot 12 hours after the AM shot. It would just be like shooting 2 hours late with the depot though. That may need to adjust and your numbers may be a little wonky.

OlivesMom likes this.
  9. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Ok, think I'll try that. I feel that's better than letting her go too high. I just rechecked and she's up to 90 after eating a half hour ago. She should be a fair number to shoot +14. Thanks for the help!

10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You got 2 posts going today.

Hope she surfs nicely. Good luck at vet.

OlivesMom likes this.
  11. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Thank you! I'm not surprised there's two posts as my computer froze when I wrote the first post of the day and it said it didn't go through, but looks like it duplicated. I don't know how to delete one of them, but thanks for letting me know.

I just found that one...I asked the moderator to delete it via the thread title.

12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Good job Robyn! Congrats I the reduction.

OlivesMom likes this.
  13. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Interesting thing...I just tested her as I planned on giving her the insulin at +14 and just increasing her shot time by two hours for the PM shot, but Olive is 91 after having already eaten breakfast 2 hours ago. Wow! I have no idea what's going on. But it looks like I'm going to have to totally skip the shot now. I will be most anxious to see what her numbers do today. I can't explain it. All I did differently last night was delay her one meal by 5 hours instead of 3 and she got raw food instead of the mix at the midway point only. I wonder what this means...if it means anything. I'm not used to this end of the spectrum.