? 11/11 - Gideon Blue - AMPS=43,+30 mins=86,+1=171,+2=158,+4=133,+6=168,+8=182,+10=190,PMPS=126,+1=216

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm at work and may not be able to stay on. How is he acting? Is he showing hypo symptoms? Some cats can be in low numbers and not have hypo symptoms. You still want to get his numbers to come up. Feed and test in 20 to 30 minutes and see where he is. Breathe. You've got everything under control.

3. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

He is acting fine and purring. Retested at 30 mins and he is now 86. So thankful. Will continue to retest hourly and feed as needed. He ate a TBSP if 27% also.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  4. carfurby (GA)

I'm glad he's not showing any symptoms and came up some. Don't feed too much at a time. You want him to still be hungry if you need to feed him more. He could dip back down, but will most likely end up going up with no insulin this morning.

Shiloh567 likes this.
  5. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Since he appears to be bouncing, do I need to continue to test?

6. carfurby (GA)

I'd test again in an hour to make sure he's still going up after the food wears off.

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

It's not necessarily bouncing. It's a spike because of syrup and food. He could drop again. You need to keep testing until he stays up without food or syrup.

8. Colio

Colio Member

I am pretty new to this but I would continue to test. I see Cole sometime come up because of the HC food or the syrup, but how long it lasts is quite variable. No harm in testing to see. Good job on getting him up

9. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Yes, I will test at +2, and then go to bed for a few hours. He will sleep with me, so I will keep an eye on him. Actually, all 3 fur babies will sleep with me today.

What about insulin tonight? I am very concerned this will happen again tonight.

10. carfurby (GA)

With that 43 he earned a reduction to 1.75 units. Unless he is really low at PMPS, I'd shoot the new dose. It's to hard to say what his number will be tonight.

Shiloh567 likes this.
  11. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

It seems like every couple days, we have been doing a reduction over the past week. I guess this is a good thing.

Hoping he doesn't continue to bounce after that frightening LOW GREEN. I feel bad for all the kitties that don't get tested, but keep getting insulin. So dangerous!

12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

When the amps is low it can be a double dip and they usually come up quickly. He likely didn’t need the hc. This just happened with Joji last night. I’ll find her condo and post the link and Wendy’s response. Congrats on the reduction. Gideon sure is flying down the dosing scale!:D

13. tiffmaxee

14. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

I can't ask my husband to stall if I am not home. He knew to feed a bit of high carb food for BG below 68, so I am glad for that. I really don't want to run the risk that Gideon will go lower when he is especially in the 40's. Perhaps, I can have him start with a lower carb food if this happens again. We will reduce to 1.75 units tonight.
    Thank you everyone for helping my precious Gideon Blue!

15. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Truthfully with a 43 on AT2, I don't think you had much choice but to skip. I also feel that if you have been using such high carbs 20-25% consistently keep his numbers up, that says to me the dose is too high.

I only had a few Lantus double dips, but normally you'll see numbers go down during the cycle, they hit nadir, then come back up, with a little dip down at the end of the cycle, just not as low as the nadir. To me this is the HC wearing off in a pretty dramatic fashion.

Just my two Canadian cents, for what they are worth these days ;). Good luck with the reducie.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  16. tiffmaxee

A reduction was definitely needed. I just questioned the need for hc. Gideon is racing down the dosing scale.

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  17. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

So, did Gideon have what you would consider to be a double dip today? He was at 133 @4, and then came up to 190@+10, and then down to 126 @PMPS. When he was 43, husband shouldn't have given him HC? We switched to LC at +2. He is now down to 1.75 units BID. If he hits LOW GREEN again, he will get another decrease. Could he still bounce due to going so low this morning?

Again, I appreciate everyone's input!

18. tiffmaxee

Yes, he did double dip. Something has definitely clicked for him. When he was at 43, I would have first tried lc or mc as you knew you could not shoot that cycle. I’d test about 20 minutes later to make sure he was over 68 and then feed lc. No big deal. It’s just usually at that point he will rise with any food. You had to feed at that point. The hc is probably partly why he was up to 171 at +1.

He might bounce, but he might not. Even if he does he’s clearing them quickly now.

19. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Those are the sort of numbers you’d see on a double dip - only thing is you hadn’t shot. Looks like Gideon’s pancreas might be starting to do some of the work :cool:

tiffmaxee and Shiloh567 like this.