? 11.30.22 Chispa, new insulin question, 128 AMPS, 125 +3, 113 +5, 120 PMPS, 70 +3

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Karen and Chispa, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...l-question-108-amps-92-3-98-pmps-68-3.271301/

Hello everyone! Starting today back in the blues.

Here's my question for the day: I'm getting towards the end of my first vial of insulin, and I'm wondering what the protocol is for switching over to the new supply. Do I reduce the dose at the beginning? By how much, and for how long? (I think this question was answered recently in someone else's condo, so I apologize for not writing it down when I had the opportunity.)

Depending on when the current supply runs out, the situation may be complicated by my leaving town for two weeks on 12/19, leaving DBF in charge (with an automatic .25 reduction for safety).
    Many thanks, as always, for your knowledge :bookworm: :cat: :bighug:

@tiffmaxee
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Suzanne & Darcy
    @Bandit's Mom

Amy & Herman likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I would switch to pens (not a vial), that way it lasts longer. A pen lasts to the very end. How long have you been using this vial? Unless you think it's gone off, I would just switch when you can monitor for a couple cycles. Her numbers don't look like anything has gone off.

3. Karen and Chispa

Thanks, @Wendy&Neko . My new supply is a box of five cartridges @ 3ml each from Mark's Marine Pharmacy. It's 50% more insulin than my original 10 ml vial and it cost $100 less, even with the shipping from Canada, so I'm thankful for that. They sent me a "AllStar Pro" pen to go with it (free), but I looked at the directions and it wasn't immediately clear how to use it. Don't most people draw the insulin into the syringe from the cartridges? Do I really need the pen?

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You are correct, probably all the people draw the insulin into the syringe from the cartridges. Usually the cartridges themselves are not available in the US, and the US members buy pens. Since I'm in Canada (25 minute drive from Marks, not that I go there), I used to buy cartridges. And I believe they had something on the package like "not for export".

5. Karen and Chispa

You're right -- I just looked, and the package is marked "Not for export" on the side. Interesting ...