2/19 George PMPS 127 - .25 U, +2 110, +5 68, +10.5 83, PMPS 97 PLEASE ADVISE

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hammy, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Hammy

Hammy Member

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

There isn't anything smaller than 30 unit syringes. Do you use magnifiers?

Make sure to get a +2. If in the mid greens like yesterday, feed some MC or HC before you go to work and get another test later in the cycle when you can.

Will watch out for your +2 :)

Hammy likes this.
  3. Bandit's Mom

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The digital calipers make dosing more consistent as the lines on the syringes aren’t always good as dosing based on them can vary by as much as .25 as the dosing goes up. It’s the easiest way to get the tiny doses.

Hammy likes this.
  5. Bandit's Mom

OK. 110 @+2. Not so bad. Feed some LC and get another test whenever you can. +6?

tiffmaxee and Hammy like this.
  6. Hammy

Hammy Member

Yes. My day is a little different today. I'm waiting for my husband to get home before I leave to go to work, so I MIGHT be able to get a +3, otherwise I can get a +5 to +7 whichever is best that you think.

When I did double tests before with not enough blood perhaps or it smeared on my hands, one time the smeared on my hands was higher than the second test that I took right after, by like 10 points.
    The same thing happened when I thought I didn't get enough blood and did 2 strips. Is it common for it to misread with a smear on a hand or low blood?

It is making me want to double test sometimes but of course there is always not enough blood and I also don't want to waste the strips. I think I may have nicked his vein in one of his ears because there is a little scab on the outer edge. =(

I am putting Neosporin on it and using the other ear mostly for now. I just feel so bad as I have been poking so frequently.

7. tiffmaxee

I’m glad you skipped last night. Looks like this dose will work for today really well. :D

Bandit's Mom and Hammy like this.
  8. tiffmaxee

There’s a warning about using Neosporin for cats. I will find the link and post it for you. I did use it with Max but after reading it no longer would.
    Tge meter needs to draw up the blood whether from your finger tip or the ear.

9. Bandit's Mom

tiffmaxee likes this.
  10. tiffmaxee

11. Hammy

Hammy Member

Thank you for the links. I'll stop using the Neosporin and see about the script.

?? I read the insulin care and syringe, I HAVE pushed out extra back into the vile before. Not frequently but more than once. Please tell me my insulin should still be ok, and that I don't need to get a new one?
    ?? Also, do your needles need to have air pushed out of them before you inject them with the insulin? Mine do, and that's what I have been doing but now I am wondering if I have been doing that wrong?

Will be reading about the testing strips next.
    Thank you.

12. Bandit's Mom

Your insulin seems to be okay. Better not to inject insulin back into the pen/vial.

(a) I push the plunger up and down in the empty syringe a few times to spread the lubricant around - make it easier to move the plunger minutely to measure the dose.
    (b) Push the plunger down fully to remove air from the empty syringe
    (c) Insert into pen/vial and draw around 1/2 a unit extra
    (d) Hold the syringe with needle facing up and tap the syringe so that the air bubbles go to the top and squeeze them out. This can be a pain sometimes.

Have I answered your question? :)

Hammy likes this.
  13. tiffmaxee

I often didn’t manage to get rid of all the air bubbles. So I learned to judge when to give up and just shoot.

Hammy and Bandit's Mom like this.
  14. Hammy

Hammy Member

yes! Totally answered my question! Fantastic explanation! That might have been in the video. I read, but did not watch that part yet. I did watch testing ears.

I feed him a little bit of LC right after his +2 and I was going to feed him a bit more at a +3, but wasn't able too, I had to leave.
    Should I have daughter feed him some now at +4 or wait until +5 when I run home?

15. Bandit's Mom

Either should be fine today. What is your normal feeding schedule for him?

Hammy likes this.
  16. Hammy

Hammy Member

I WAS feeding him ONE 5.5 oz can at 8am and 8pm (total TWO CANS A DAY)
    He needed to gain weight.
    Now he is good on weight and I am trying to figure out how much to lower too.

Also, since Tuesday I started breaking down the two cans. At first I did half a can, then couple hour later the other half...so that he was eating 4x a day, but on Wednesday night until now, I have broken it up even more...like 1/4 a can every two hours, but total amount was still like 2 cans or almost 2 cans.

I'm going to leave now to get a +5 (You think that is better today than a +6?)

17. Bandit's Mom

This is even better. I presume you are withholding food 2 hours before the shot?

+5 is fine :) You can test at different times on different days. +4 one day, +6 another etc.

Hammy and tiffmaxee like this.
  18. Hammy

Hammy Member

Yes. I had given him a bit at +2, I was going to have my daughter give him food at +4 but didn't. I started typing it in on the spreadsheet so it was there, but he will not have eaten for about 3 hours. Will post #s soon!

19. Hammy

Hammy Member

Tomorrow I can probably do a full curve or on Sunday

20. Hammy

Hammy Member

He is 68. I'm giving him some HC MIXED with LC

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  21. Bandit's Mom

Ok. 68 is a safe number. Don't carb him up too much. Can you get another test at +6?

22. Hammy

Hammy Member

Um. I don't think I can. I didn't give him a lot. A qtr can LC with a spoonful of hc . I panicked

23. Bandit's Mom

No worries. Better to be safe. I cannot believe he survived on 1.5U or 2U twice a day! :confused:

Hammy likes this.
  24. Hammy

Hammy Member

Right! Every time that I did check him during that time I never had low numbers but I wasn't consistent. I was having a very hard time and just pushed through it when he was so low. Now he has a bruised ear and a small scab on the other.

I had a hard time getting blood today. I don't know if I was in a rush, or if he's depleted lol

He looked a little drooly to me, but I think he's got some bad teeth that might need to come out. He had some that had to get pulled out over a year ago.

How would you suggest I spread out his meals? I'm going to order an automatic feeder today.

If I don't give him food 2 hours before shot, can I give him food with his shot?

25. Bandit's Mom

I'm half asleep so only going to answer this one since it's very important. Going to tag @tiffmaxee for the rest! :)

We don't feed 2 hours before the meal because we don't want a PS number that has been bumped up by food. Once the food wears off the number might actually end up being a much lower and potentially dangerous one.
    So no food after +9.5 or so. At PS, test, feed and then shoot - all within 15 mins or so.

Hammy likes this.
  26. tiffmaxee

Just one addition to what Bhooma wrote. If the preshot is lower than used to, stall without food and post for dosing advice. You can then get another bg test in 20 minutes or so to see if higher. That’s why a +11.5 is helpful as you will be able to see if on the way up at +12. It’s not needed if running high.

He looked a little drooly to me, but I think he's got some bad teeth that might need to come out. He had some that had to get pulled out over a year ago.

Bad teeth can definitely cause higher bg. Many cats go OTJ after a dental.
    How would you suggest I spread out his meals? I'm going to order an automatic feeder today.

We usually feed several small meals each cycle. Often food at insulin time and then +2 and +4. In between food needs to be fed if dropping at +3 and after +4. The auto feeder helps when you leave and at night unless falling under 70 where you may need more tests.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Hammy and Bandit's Mom like this.
  27. Hammy

Hammy Member

I can get a +9 to +10.

Do you think I should have daughter feed him at +7? I fed him right after +5 (reminder:some low carb with a bit of hc mixed in.)

What is OTJ? I see OT is Off Topic...
    Do you think he could just have some bad teeth and need to get them pulled, then his BG could be normal? Like insulin could be treating a symptom instead of the cause?

28. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Off The Juice, when they no longer need insulin and go into remission:)

Hammy likes this.
  29. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

If she isn't/not able to test then yes get her to give him some LC a couple of teaspoons perhaps.

If she can test if he is about the same or higher then she doesn't need to feed.

Hammy likes this.
  30. Hammy

Hammy Member

Off the juice.
    Today it's my youngest daughter.
    Small amount it is

tiffmaxee likes this.
  31. Hammy

Hammy Member

+10.5 he is 83

Didn't feed him as I might shoot less than 2 hours

tiffmaxee likes this.
  32. Hammy

Hammy Member

97 PMPS ADVISE?

33. tiffmaxee

I’m here. Be right back.

Hammy likes this.
  34. tiffmaxee

Skip. That’s a normal bg. Feed on,y lc and get a test at +2-4. This is great.

Your other option would be to wait 20-30 minutes , don’t feed, and see if the bg comes up.

Hammy likes this.
  35. Hammy

Hammy Member

Thank you so much!

36. tiffmaxee

If the pancreas is coming to life tge bg will come down 2-4 hours after eating.

Hammy likes this.
  37. Hammy

Hammy Member

I missed the other option. I scrolled down and read the first part and got all excited. Lol

38. tiffmaxee

No worries. It was my fault as I hit send too soon. Be excited about the green PMBG. You could have been up very late if you shot tonight. If she’s close to 100 you can shoot in the morning and you will be able to do it in the day and monitor. It’s always easier during the day. You can monitor more over the weekend, right?

Hammy likes this.
  39. Hammy

Hammy Member

Yes. I can. I had a long night tonight. My brother in law was suicidal at my house tonight. We had to take him to the hospital.
    Thank you.
    See you in the morning

40. Bandit's Mom

Oh my God! That must have been really traumatic. Hope he is okay. And your sister is holding up!

41. Hammy

Hammy Member

It's my husband's younger brother.
    He does have a girl friend, she has been with him at the hospital all night. I'm so tired.

Bandit's Mom likes this.