? 21-2 - Djoko amps 49 (no shot) ; pmps 358

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marj & Djoko, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It’s hard to say because there was a nice depot. Looking at the line greens it might help him sooner.

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

He's bouncing now from the low number.

He was giving you a head up with that low on 2/18 in the evening. Did you forget to reduce the next morning?

just a reminder - although I'm sure you've probably read this many times,

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/

Reducing the dose:

The TR Protocol is an aggressive method in itself. The modified version of the protocol is slightly more aggressive. Let's keep all our kitties in the Lantus, Basaglar, & Levemir ISG safe by taking reductions when appropriate.
    • If kitty drops below 40 (long term diabetic) or 50 (newly diagnosed diabetic) reduce the dose by 0.25 unit. If kitty has a history of not holding reductions well or if reductions are close together... sneak the dose down by shaving the dose rather than reducing by a full quarter unit.

4. tiffmaxee

Good catch Sue. Even a long term diabetic gets a reduction when under 40. I assume you thought it was from the depot though Marj? I don’t think so.

5. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

No. I am aware that you reduce below 40 but I did not reduce his dose because it was on the day he had stopped eating. Yesterday, he ate enough calories ( put him on cans for 2 days to ensure he eats enough) and did not expect that. I think he broke the bounce during the night. So from 1.50f, to 1.25 and then 1.50 with normal appetite. So I will continue with 1.25U from now on.

6. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I am not going under 1.25U. He went into hypo on 1.25 but there was a depot from the 1.50f and he was not eating enough at that time.

7. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

not hypo but low numbers. Djoko has never held a reduction but 1.25U is necessary in this case for safety purposes. I should have given him 1.25U yesterday night because he will pay the price for couple of days.

8. tiffmaxee

He hasn’t had a symptomatic hypo ever has he?

9. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I will see how he does on 1.25U. This week has been so off in terms of eating. If he eats well and goes down too much, we will reduce to 1U.

10. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Well when he got to 2.1, I think he was very interested in food when I fed him. He was meowing in between portions which he normally does not do. I was at the grocery store and he was asleep. He did not ask food to my bf (who was upstairs). When he is very hungry, he asks me first and then goes to him upstairs. Could we consider that a symptom? Last night, he was very hungry at 3am so I tested him and he was at 6.5. I did not expect him being so low at ps.

At +4, he was at 8.8 Should I test him during the night (soon going to bed).

11. tiffmaxee

. Cats do often get hungry when the bg is very high or very low. In ordination, seizures, restlessness, accompanied by excessive hunger would worry

That’s a big drop. I would get at least one more test.

12. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

we gave him his vitamins and I guess that stressed him out. he is at 9. Too bad, he runs for the can but not for his diet anymore...I do not know what they put in these cans..I cannot feed him only the cans because of ibd so trying to alternate.
    No restlessness, seizure, etc. He has been at 2.2 on AT2 once ( 36-37 ) and did not show any signs - did not even ask for food.

I will monitor him in the next days.
    Thanks!

13. tiffmaxee

Good night.