? 22/12 Hercules AMPS 173. +11 47 Should I skip dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hercule's mum, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Lantus takes 5-7 days (at the same dose) for the initial depot to build. Changes in dose or skips will disrupt the depot. Maybe try sticking with 0.5 units a while and seeing if you can keep the same dose for longer.

You will find that with Lantus you will eventually have to get used to shooting lower numbers. Lantus is great at keeping lower numbers flat and low. Once you have a better idea how Hercule works with Lantus, it'll be easier to try shooting those lower numbers.

3. Hercule's mum

That is where I am hoping to get! :)

He seem to have had a pretty big food bump? +2: 14.6

Just to make sure I am understanding this comment correctly.... so you think that if we hit blues at AMPS before the depot is built that 0.5f is perhaps too much to keep? Is that the idea of trying to keep 0.5?

Thanks!

4. Hercule's mum

+7 is 124
    Every day his PMPS had been the lowest reading of the morning cycle. Concerned I will have a low PMPS. I assume I skip if it is lower than 90, but worried if it lower than AMPS. I think because I am still bilding a dept, I am likely to go lower this Pm than this morning... is that right?

5. Hercule's mum

and here we are... +11 at 77....PMPS in an hour... I guess I am skipping it again... Should I reduce the dose?

6. Hercule's mum

shoot time in 15 minutes. His BG went up by a little bit....to 85. Stall for another 20 minutes?

7. Hercule's mum

I am still stalling, don't really want to skip again... it is going up very slowly, perhaps a small dose?

8. Hercule's mum

I ended up giving him a low dose (0.2?), and will be monitoring him overnight.

No idea what do tomorrow would be very thankful for some guidance. Dosing consitently below 0.5 will be quite hard, but I think needs to be done?
    Any suggestions?

@Wendy&Neko
    @tiffmaxee
    @Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

A reduction has been earned. New dose will be .25 starting tomorrow if high enough to shoot. I suspect he will bounce.

Hercule's mum likes this.
  10. Hercule's mum

Thank you for the help!

11. Wendy&Neko

As Elise said, the new dose is 0.25 units. I see you shot a larger dose this morning. Try not to "shoot down" the higher preshots. Lantus dosen't work that way. Consistent dosing is what we find works best with our dosing methods.

12. Hercule's mum

Hi @Wendy&Neko , don't worry, I wasn't trying to "shoot down". I did try to go for 0.25. This might be what I gave....but I am not sure. That is why I wrote 0.5s because I don't feel I am sure what I gave in numerical value, but I know the position in the syringe, and that I can repeat it.....

I am having an impossible time with the small dose. I have purchased a digital caliper, but still not feeling really sure with it. I wish there was I a way I could dilute the insulin....
    I have access to micropipettes, is there another method that I can try?

13. Wendy&Neko

In this Sticky Note, Insulin Care & Syringe Info: Proper Handling, Drawing, Fine Dosing there is some information near the top saying that the manufacturer does not recommend dilution or mixing and if you do, it should be done in the syringe. No one here has done that - it'd be something best attempted with input from your vet.

What part about using digital calipers is hard for you? Maybe we can help with that.

14. Hercule's mum

The whole thing...:oops:
    0.25U is 0.25mm... that is a tiny space. It is hard to see. I could invest on a magnifying glass, but it feels like i'll need an extra pair of hands to hold syringe, caliper and magnifying glass.
    I also have trouble on controlling the plunger. I do us the "twisting" method, but still 1 out of five times the plunger will just go around without advancing, and I have to try and push it, which is just not sufficiently precise to measure such a tiny amount. Sorry, feeling very discourgade at the moment...

15. Wendy&Neko

I used a magnifying glass, but some people use head lamp/craft magnifier combos. This one gives you an idea. Before you load the dose, do you move the plunger up and down a few times to spread the lubricant around? Might help with the plunger twisting.