? 23 Feb - Freya’s BG aren’t reducing so we’ve increased her dose to 1.5U

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SwedishLiz, Feb 23, 2023.

1. SwedishLiz

SwedishLiz Member

I know I’ve not done enough blood tests on Freya recently, but despite my best intentions, I can’t see enough to get a decent amount of blood out of her ear, despite numerous attempts. As a result, she’s now fighting me which is making the insulin shots difficult. I therefore decided to prioritise the insulin (her BGs were consistently high on 1.25U). Husband is back home now so we can test more often & we’ve increased Freya’s insulin to 1.5U in the hope that we can start to reduce her BG.
    I hope I’ve done the correct thing but I’m always happy to be educated…!

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

With TR you can increase every 3-5 days. You don't want to hold doses longer if the numbers aren't where you want them to be. However, since TR is so aggressive - at least one mid-cycle test is strongly advised. Newly diagnosed cats can go from the 300s at preshot to the 50s (or lower) and back up to the 300s at the end of the cycle - like Freya did on 2/17. So preshots are not an indicator of how she is doing on the dose.

If you do not see any numbers below 200 on this dose in 3 days, you can go up to 1.75U.

Link to previous post:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/19-feb-high-bg-what-are-we-doing-wrong.274357/

SwedishLiz and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. SwedishLiz

SwedishLiz Member

I am beyond angry! My husband decided to increase Freya’s insulin to 1.75 units this morning without telling me & despite me sharing your wisdom! I now have no choice but to maintain this dose for a further 4.5 days, regardless of impact, thanks to the TR! I will try my best with BG tests (not least because of my idiot husband!).

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Actually TR provides for an increase by 0.5U if nadirs are over 300. But because it is so aggressive, you need to get at least one test per cycle. There were no tests on the 19th or 22nd, so we don't know if she dropped lower on those days and the higher numbers you are seeing after are her bouncing from those lows.

Stay with 1.75 for 3 days
    • if you don't see anything below 300, increase by 0.5U after 3 days.
    • if you see nadirs between 200 and 300, increase by 0.25U after 3 days
    • if you see nadirs below 200, hold the dose 4-5 days.

SwedishLiz likes this.