6/24 Cinna | AMPS 95 | PMPS 81 | +3 63 | Rip Libre

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by alio, Jun 24, 2022.

1. alio

alio Member

6/25: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-23-cinna-amps-79-pmps-77.264965/

Last night, PM+3 was 115 on Libre, 73 on Lite; I suspect the poor Libre is on its last legs and it's accuracy this last day is even more suspect than usual. Between +7 and +7.5 it had him dropping like 60 points, lol.

AMPS 95

So far every Lite test I've done has always been lower than the Libre, except when the Libre says he's below 60, then it's higher, so, no reason to think he's hitting the blues this morning.

He was drinking a lot this morning, and his poop was a bit mushy. I suspect (hope) the budesonide to be the main cause of him drinking, and the poop is hopefully either a one off or a temporary effect of the clavacillin.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Yup. It wreaks havoc on the GI tract - can cause diarrhea, vomiting, appetite loss. Are you giving a probiotic? You want to give something like S. Boulardii. The probiotic should be given 2 hours apart from the antibiotic.

Bron and Sheba (GA) and alio like this.
  3. alio

alio Member

I just ordered some; should arrive today; thanks for the suggestion! I read up about dosage etc in the article IBDKitties has; seems like starting slow with the dosage is recommended; hopefully we can head off any poop drama!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. alio

alio Member

Well, the Libre died a half-hour before PMPS. Its last scan was 103 at +11.

We are now back to ear testing with the Freestyle Lite.

PMPS 81
    +3 63

PM shot might have not fully been delivered, he jerked away from me unexpectedly while depressing the plunger. I'm about 80% sure it all got into him though.

He had a small dose of pro-biotic this afternoon.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. Bandit's Mom

Good riddance! ;)

How long does he have to be on the antibiotic? A week? 15 days?

alio likes this.
  6. alio

alio Member

LOL, I'm going to miss scanning, even if that thing did do weird stuff sometimes.

His antibiotic is for 7 days; the vet said it was a "mild" infection. He never really had any symptoms aside from drinking a lot (which is nothing really new, I just expected that to stop once he was off the dry food, so I started getting worried his kidneys were bad or something, but now I'm wondering if the budesonide is what is causing that thirst).

In any case, I want to make sure the UTI is taken care of since we're going out of town July 10th, so I might run another urine sample down for testing once he finishes the antibiotic.

7. Bandit's Mom

Yeah, I'm sure I would be the same with a Libre!

Was a urine culture done to detect the UTI?

8. alio

alio Member

No, I did ask about that but they said they only do a culture if this treatment doesn't work. Not ideal I suspect, I really wasn't expecting a UTI so didn't do enough research beforehand to really have that conversation properly. Next time I'll just tell them to do a culture immediately if they suspect UTI.

9. Bandit's Mom

Did he show any symptoms of a UTI like straining to pee, going multiple times and small amounts, vocalizing when peeing etc? Or only the excessive drinojng? Did they do bloodwork and did it indicate any infection? Sorry if you've already posted about this before. Don't tell me they started him on antibiotics without any tests! :eek:

10. alio

alio Member

They did a urinalysis, which I asked for because of the drinking

There are 3 other cats in the house, and he's the only one I see drinking. He had also started chirping before using the litter tray a couple of days prior to the urinalysis. He doesn't really like me watching him pee, but from the small amount of observation I have had, it did look like he was straining a little bit, or at least, taking a bit longer than normal. The amount of pee is hard to tell, he's always done really big pees and I would say the amount has probably decreased a little. Hard to say on frequency, I'm not there enough to watch that.

His blood work and urinalysis in early May was fine (apart from diabetes).

Bandit's Mom likes this.