? 6/29 Snowball PMPS 424 - need guidance of levemir dose

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sumaira Aslam, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

Hi all,

recently i have switched my cat to levemir and still struggling with the right dose. Please help me understand what I have understood so far is that levemir works more then full cycle and the effect starts after 3 hours so in morning snowball’s numbers are in range of 100s today morning was only 66 so had to skip to dose but since insulin is still working and new shot will start effecting after 3 hours so does this mean should i still go ahead and give him the shot? Because of this whenever I check him at PM cycle his numbers are already high today it was 424 because I skipped the morning dose. Please help me understand and thanks all

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here is the link to your last post here, which we ask that you include for connectivity: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/snowball-pmps-424-need-advise-on-insulin-shot.234177/

I am glad you reduced to 0.5 units tonight. Since you are following SLGS, you need to reduce when you see a below 90, and that's also too low for you to shoot.

If you had decided to shoot three hours after your regular shot time, your next shot after that would have also been three hours after the regular time. You can get back on schedule by moving shot times back 15 minutes per shot, or 1/2 hour once per day. So the three hour delay would take at least 6 days to get back to your regular schedule.

Levemir doesn't necessarily work for more than 12 hours in a cat. It's action or onset, does start 3-5 hours after the injection and can thus last to 3-5 hours after the next injection. Since I was following TR (feeding all low carb wet or raw), the protocol allowed me to shoot lower numbers. Neko's onset was not until 5 hours after her shot. I shot in the 50's many times, food would bring her up and the insulin would be wearing off, so she'd be safe by the time insulin onset 5 hours later. SLGS says not to shoot below 90.

Is it possible to get a curve sometime soon? I'd wait a couple cycles now, as the skip would have depleted the depot. I don't see enough evidence from testing data on when Snowball's onset and nadir are, so more mid cycle tests are needed. From the New to the Group Sticky Note:

Learn how YOUR kitty is responding to insulin:
    • Onset - the length of time before insulin reaches the bloodstream & begins lowering blood glucose
    • Peak/Nadir - the lowest point in the cycle
    • Duration - the length of time insulin continues to lower blood glucose
    • How to do a Curve - a simple explanation

3. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

Thanks for the information . I will do the curve on next weekend when I am home so can see snowball’s highs and lows