7/21 Cassie AMPS 436 +3 379 +8 384 PMPS 337

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Abby and Cassie, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Abby and Cassie

Abby and Cassie Member

Previous post

Morning everyone! Today I'm debating on what dose to give Cassie. I think I want to go back to 1.75. Today I think I gave a "fat" 1.5, where it was just a tad bit under the 1.5 line, so maybe 1.65? Is that what the proper term is called? Maybe I'll see how the "fat" dose works. for a week before deciding to do TR/1.75.

2. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Good afternoon Abby. Have you considered using calipers for dosing? It takes the guesswork out of dosing properly. It also helps with fine doses(.10u etc). When I was giving Moey insulin, I depended on those darn calipers. It takes a little getting use to but, definitely worth it. No more questioning the dose you gave. Here's a link to how it works. https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dosing-with-calipers-updated-w-videos.79851/
    I was also using a light board/box to illuminate the syringe. Oh, how I loved that cheap $15 Walmart light board/box. It made it much easier to see the lines on the syringes for lining the calipers up. This is the one I used if you've never heard of a light board/box. https://www.walmart.com/ip/TSV-A4-A...ng-Artists-Drawing-Sketching-Animat/502935665
    I hope that opens up some options for ensuring proper doses. It eliminates the, "I think I gave him......
    A fat 1.5, the plunger would line up with the bottom of the .5u mark, not the normal top position. Hope that made sense. I'm sure you've seen this sticky about insulin care and syringe info.https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...info-proper-handling-drawing-fine-dosing.151/ Towards the bottom of the page there's fine dosing information.

Once you figure the dosing method you're going to follow, that will outline how to proceed. After a fur shot or partial fur shot, dose increases need to wait for at least 3 days/6 cycles depending on the dosing method. 3 days is for TR. I hope this didn't confuse you. Maybe some other members will stop by to offer their thoughts/advice.

Cassie be good for mom! She loves you a whole bunch!:cat:
    Have a great day Abby:)

Abby and Cassie likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Most cats do better with full 0.25 units increases. As Briere suggested, consistency is also important.

Abby and Cassie likes this.
  4. Abby and Cassie

Abby and Cassie Member

Thank you so much for all of this! I'll look into calipers, a member suggested them to me a few weeks ago but I was on 1.5 at the time so it was much easier to measure. I had no idea about the dose increases needing to wait, oops! I'll stick to 1.5 for a week (SLGS), and see what her curve is on the 7th day. I'm thinking she'll want to go back up to 1.75 again and I'll probably keep her on that (TR), and just monitor closely to see how she does. I think it would help if I make the first dose on 1.75 on an AMPS too, that way I will be able to test ALL day and not be sleepy like last time LOL. That might have been my mistake too..note to self, start doses in the morning!!

I think I'll stick to .25 increases too. I guess I was just scared of going to 1.75 and seeing the greens, LOL. But I'll keep a close eye on her.

Thank you both for all your help! <3 hope you both have a lovely night.

Briere Fur Mom likes this.