8/02 Milo update AMPS 266 dose increase

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...s-220-2-162-4-97-6-151-9-427-pmps-340.232920/

Good morning; I have some happy news today. Milo was able to spend the night upstairs with us (I had to restrict his space for the past month until he was using the litter boxes again). He didn't have any accidents and he was able to enjoy snuggling on the couch and in bed for a while. Things are starting to feel more normal and he's definitely feeling a bit more like his old self.

Milo is not eating ravenously (thanks for reassuring me that this is normal Wendy!) anymore. To answer your question, it was recommended by 4 or 5 different sources (outside of the forum) that I should be using a probiotic and herring oil when feeding a raw diet and to switch the proteins regularly so he gets all the nutrients he needs. I *think* he doesn't enjoy the Thrive but this addition to his food may have just coincided with his appetite reducing. I notice that even without it, he's not eating like he did.

I read about the benefits of testing more frequently (+1, +2) after a shot to see how fast the Lantus is working so I tried it last night. PMPS 346, +1 319, +2 263, +3 245, +4 225 and then I had to go to bed. He was 266 AMPS and I increased to 3.25 (it sure is hard to read such small needles; I tried to be as accurate as possible). Today I am around all day so I'm hoping to do +3, +6, +9 unless you think I should do it more frequently. The poor kitty is getting pricked all the time. I'm open to any suggestions. This group has been a real godsend. I am so grateful.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I used to use the +3, some people use the +2, and used that and how far the drop is from preshot, to see when to test next. I was all about saving test strips. At the time, I was cross border shopping for them so it was a pain to get them, though it saved a lot.

I fed a rotation of 4 different raw proteins too. Some (like Red Dog/Blue Kat) have probiotics already in the mix. They didn't back in the day, but do now. Maybe just try a different probiotic? The Thrive looks like it only has a few different types of strains - more is better. Here is a page on probiotics for kitties.

3. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

Thank you for this resource!