8/10 - GIDEON BLUE - AMPS = 379 "Extremely Bouncy"

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...to-1-5-units-at-6-bg-537.233381/#post-2608487

Thank you all for getting me through yesterday. Gideon dipped very low, and we had to use a bit of Karo. He then jumped up into the black. We have decreased the Lantus dose from 1.75 units BID to 1.5 units BID. There is some thought that he has dropped low during the night before based on his numbers yesterday morning, where we had both DARK GREEN, and LIGHT GREEN readings, and then he "surfed" in the blue quite a bit, while I was testing every hour, and a few times tested at the half-hour. I may have over reacted, but I do not want to experience the low readings again, if at all possible. I know none of us do, but I literally felt like I couldn't breath. I don't know what I would have done without this group. I guess I would have taken him to the ER, which was unnecessary. We managed with the help of this group! Thank you again.

Now today is a new day. Hoping his bounce clears in the next few cycles. I must figure out what his dose should be while I am away, starting this Saturday, for a week.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I know it’s frightening when they drop so low. You see why you have to lower the dose every time he drops under 68. He dropped a few times when you didn’t do that. The good news is he has earned a reduction. You learned you can bring him back up with food and karo when you have to but need to test frequently when this happens. The bounce will clear within the next three days so there’s plenty of time to decide on the vacation dose. I’m glad your husband will test because with Gideon dropping at night some night tests are going to be needed to catch him dropping so you don’t get the really low numbers as a surprise. Looks.a +3 s too early to give you an idea of his plans. God job yesterday.

3. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Thank you again. While we are away, the latest test I can ask the pet sitter to get is a +3, which is 10PM. I think she usually goes to bed much earlier than this, so asking for a +3 is the most I can expect of her. If I am home, I can get a +5 or +6. I usually sleep, but can set my alarm. Unfortunately, the alarm will probably wake my husband too, so I have to think of the other people this is affecting.
    If Gideon is in the yellow at PMPS, I would be inclined to try to test at +5 or +6.

Any suggestions for testing during the day today....do I just do the normal +6?

4. tiffmaxee

I didn’t mean for your pet sitter to get those extra tests. I was thinking ahead. Sorry for any confusion. We will find a safe dose that won’t require extra tests.

I think a +4 or 5 today. It might be a bounce day or clearing. It’s hard to predict.

5. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

OK. Just tested at +5 = 343.
    Yes, I will do extra tests if I have to. I can't do them Wed or Fri of this week, but I think my husband will do one late test. Fortunately, tests don't take that long, and I can get right back to bed. I can also offer him food after I test. He has food up until 2 hours before his AM and PM tests and shots.

Gideon is being a little difficult flipping his ears around when we try to test him. His body is still, but he is pulling his head away. I am hoping we don't rip an ear, when he does this.

I also tried 30 gauge lancets, but they don't fit the lancet device really well. They are a bit too small. I will stick with the 28 gauge. Guess that should be another post....sorry.

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Have you tried just doing it free hand? I gave up on that device early on. Luci didn't like the clicking sound and I couldn't see what I was doing...I've been freehanding it practically since day one. I use a baby sock filled with rice, that I warm in the microwave for 20 seconds to hold her ear steady...she seems to like that sock routine, she gets her head rubbed with it before I put it under her ear...then I hold her ear flap on the sock with my finger while I do that little pokie poke with the lancet...

Hope this is helpful...

Have a good evening!

7. tiffmaxee

I poked free hand as well. I used terumo 25 g needles. They are still available.

8. tiffmaxee

Looks like he might be breaking the bounce. Don’t forget to post the pmps in the subject.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  9. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

For the lows, I've started using this gel rather than Karo. It works almost immediately and is made just for this purpose.
    20200710_123325.jpg