9/10 Baker AMPS 79 / +1 81 / +4 85 / no shot today

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kate MacCorkle, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Kate MacCorkle

Kate MacCorkle Member

Hello,

Baker was scheduled to have his first curve done at the vet today, but I couldn't shoot so I didn't bring him in.

I don't have a question other than what the heck is going on, which is not something that I guess anyone can tell me.

Thanks,

Kate

2. Kate MacCorkle

Kate MacCorkle Member

I just realized the title of my post could be confusing -- I did not give Baker insulin this morning, but I am testing his BG as if I did in order to see what is happening. So, +1 means at 11 am, which is an hour from his AMPS (not +1 hour from a shot).

3. Kate MacCorkle

Kate MacCorkle Member

The vet called after reviewing Baker's spreadsheet. He said that pancreatic function can be like a light that flickers before it goes out, and hypothesizes that the insulin is helping rest Baker's pancreas, which gives the organ time to build up some insulin of its own. He suggests dropping the dose to between .5 and .75 of a unit to see how Baker does, which is consistent with advice given here on this forum. Thank you so much, everyone.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What could be happening is that the 1 unit depot is still active and keeping him in better numbers today.
    What really happens is the damaged beta cell get some rest and can recover and start producing insulin again. Here is a good read to understand what is really happening. What is Feline Diabetes?

In your last post here, I suggested lowering the dose to 0.75 units, as SLGS says to do when Baker goes below 90, which has happened several times on 1 unit. Glad to see your vet agrees the dose should be reduced.

5. Kate MacCorkle

Kate MacCorkle Member

Thank you, Wendy. Yes, he only had one more dose after your advice and I made it a skinny shot, which I thought approximated .75, but I noted it as 1 unit with a note to myself that it was skinny. I have to check out the fine tune dosing sticky again to see how to get .75 a dose. Thank you!