9/2 Alice AMPS 335 +4.3 301 +9.5 98 PMPS 173 +2 184 +5.3 203

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Sep 2, 2020.

1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...2-124-5-4-37-5-9-84-8-75-139-pmps-355.234468/

She has now had 90% of a can in about 36 hours.Now that she is eating a little more I worry that the 0.25u is a little low for her. Can I shoot something between that and 0.5 if she keeps running a little higher now? Hmm.
    I also keep trying to inch her dose time up but meds and the time I get to sleep don’t seem to be helping me wake up right away and I’m 10-15 min late in the morning on her shot, lately.

I need to get the aluminum hydroxide powder but for now I’m just giving her heated ziwi, let her eat as much as she feels about that, then shoot a little Maalox into her mouth, then feed as much more food as I can get into her by enticing her with Imuquin.

Going to try to do fluids in about an hour except this time I don’t have any help and I have to figure out what to hang the bag on (not a lot of choices in the bedroom where we are doing it... I’m looking for a cheap used IV stand).

I need to make a list of questions for my vet and call today.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

A curtain hook on the rod or rig a clothes hanger and hang it over a door frame or door knob (which allows you to do it on the floor see that bag better).
    Drawer knob, same principle.
    No need for an IV stand.

A shower hook on the rod in the bathroom works very well.

AmandaE likes this.
  3. Red & Rover (GA)

Give it a day or so at 0.25.
    See what effect the fluids have. (DO NOT GIVE THE 200ml AS CALLED FOR BY THE VET). I'd start with no more than 50ml twice a day. 75ml if Alice is a large cat.

1 can of food over 36 hours is not enough, in my opinion, to increase the insulin. Right now, kidneys trump diabetes.

There is time before the next shot. Let's see what other people have to say.

There is an excellent facebook forum called Cats With Chronis Renal Failure. I suggest you join. And keep delving into Tanya's website. It is the bible for feline kidney disease.

AmandaE likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd hold the dose and give her a couple of days to adjust to everything and clear the bounce before changing the dose. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

AmandaE and AliceMeowliss (GA) like this.
  5. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

I use a thumb tack on the wall, or I've also removed a picture from the wall and used the nail to hang the bag - depending on where Cosmo is. The suggestions above work well too!

6. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Notes/update:
    Got about 100mL subq LRS in.
    Tried to give Cerenia and it kept getting soggy and sticking instead of going to the back of her throat, and finally was dissolving almost so I tried to stick some in food and some in the potassium gel to get it in her. May or may not have failed.
    Has had maybe 20% of a can of ziwi since last night. She has another 5% ish to finish. Have had to dump lots of Imuquin on her food to encourage feeding. Any potential problem with getting a lot of probiotics right now? She’s on an antibiotic, so....
    No bowel movement since early 9/1 or night of 8/31. And it was small. I wish I could give her the miralax but I’m scared to mess anything else up.
    Maalox (phos binder) given after each meal. I need to get the aluminum hydroxide when I have the funds. Also discovered I’ve been paying twice as much as I need to for Cerenia from the vet office versus somewhere online (same place that has the phosphorous binder). Oops.

I don’t like how high her sugar is when she’s having all these other problems.

She is chirpy and active enough to walk around a little and she is grooming herself now.

7. AliceMeowliss (GA)

none of these items are close enough to the bed for the length of the line, and I also like to have help clamping and unclamping and watching the level while I make sure the needle stays in place. I found an available friend who is retired military and familiar with IVs and such things. :)

8. AliceMeowliss (GA)

312C0E4F-10EF-40A7-BC81-7706AF14E644.jpeg
    D10C90A5-73F1-4CA7-9AF0-60BDF6E6939E.jpeg

Lump of fluids fell down her side

9. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Rebecca & Max (GA) Member

I’m no pro at sub qs - we are not yet there with my CKD kitty, but I have started reading up on things in case we have to go that route. From what I read, it’s quite common for the fluid bubble to move due to gravity. It will absorb slowly over the day and disappear. Sorry, wasn’t sure if you were just showing or worried that it moved. Such a sweet little girl! I hope she feels better soon!!

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  10. AliceMeowliss (GA)

just showing, but thank you! :)

Rebecca & Max (GA) likes this.
  11. Red & Rover (GA)

Do not give fluids until Alice's body has absorbed the first lot.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  12. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thank you, yes I will not! She is still working on absorbing the last batch of fluids now. I know my vet said 100mL x2 per day but I agree it’s too much so for now I will stick to 100/day :)

13. AliceMeowliss (GA)

General notes/update:

gave a little potassium gel
    Got her Veraflox (AB) in her
    Applied Mirataz ribbon
    She finally finished the ziwi 6.5 oz can we have been working on for 46 hours.
    Continuing to give small portions of Maalox dose each time she eats
    She had a small bowel movement this evening and it wasn’t too large diameter or too hard, glad to see she is still passing stool

14. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I looked at Alice’s teeth and guns earlier and just now compared them to my 3 year old CH cat (who has had a dental at the beginning of the year with the rescue).....

her gums and teeth look like crud. Like straight up awful poo. I wonder if that is part of why she is eating less, licking more than chewing lately, and the infection that keeps coming up in her bloodwork this year.

She has so many problems I don’t know how she would do with anesthesia this year. Vet is off tomorrow. I have to remember to call Friday.

15. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I am forever certain Lantus doesn’t kick in for Alice until at least +2.5... her +2 tests never tell me anything :p

16. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Update: more physical exertion made to get up on bed, walk around room (and rest of house a little), happy to lay on me and happy to have chin scritches, requesting food (standing by empty bowl looking at it pointedly, not as demanding as when she hits me in the face), so... basically overall she is acting much improved! <3
    Oh, also drinking periodically. She may be near renal threshold roughly now though. I realized tonight keeping her as close to under 200ish as I can might be a good idea. My vet once told me renal threshold is 250 (not human meter numbers of course), on here I’ve been told there isn’t a specific number so much as ECID, but I figure under 200 on a human meter is likely to help protect her kidneys a little more right? As her appetite improves I may consider... what’s between 0.25 and 0.5????? Hmmm....

Since start of PM cycle she has had maybe a quarter can of ziwi, which is really hopeful amount right now, plus Maalox for phos binder, and I have had to use a lot of Imuquin or fortiflora to encourage some feeds. I hope it’s not a thing she can get too much of, especially not while she is on antibiotics?