9/2 Maxi AMPS 165/+4:230/+6:268/+9:295/PMPS 260/+2:298/Questions about Pain and Dose Increase

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bambinaki, Sep 2, 2020.

1. bambinaki

bambinaki Well-Known Member

Last thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-108-6-89-8-113-10-110-pmps-125-2-175.234454/

Maxi's numbers stayed great yesterday, his first day on Levemir, but now some not-so-great numbers have popped up. @Wendy&Neko , how soon and how much can I increase his Levemir dose to bring the numbers back down?

*At PMPS, I gave Maxi 11.5 units of Levemir.

Also, something is up with Maxi today. He's very quiet and not purring. I gave him some Buprenorphine. I've been talking to people on the feline acromegaly Facebook page, and some are saying that acrocats should be on pain medicine daily. I'd like input from you all on that.

Thank you!

Maxi with his nephew Lolo:

upload_2020-9-2_9-56-19.png

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

How cute. I hope Maxi slides down and surfs today.

bambinaki likes this.
  3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Beautiful numbers after you switched to Lev! Congratulations!!!

Such a cute pic too!!

bambinaki likes this.
  4. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Human acros complain of headaches, growth of bones can cause pain. I didn't need to give pain meds right away, but did after a couple years when Neko's arthritis got bad. She was visibly stiff. I think most acros end up needing daily pain med, the question is the timing. This might be a good discussion with your vet. I also did a lot of other things to help Neko's arthritis pain (Carthorphen/Adequan in the US, accupuncture, joint supplements, fish oil/anti inflammation).

I wouldn't have increased just yet, he's probably bouncing. He did hit 64 last night. :D The Lantus depot could still be in play but I would have held the initial starting dose at least 6 cycles with the numbers he was seeing.

6. bambinaki

bambinaki Well-Known Member

My vet, nor any other vet in my area it seems, knows about acromegaly.

That's what I thought was happening last night, so I thought the yellow numbers were from the change much lower dose.

Thank you!

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

But they should be able to help you decide if he has arthritis or is in pain. My vet didn't know acromegaly either, but knew how to treat pain.

bambinaki likes this.