Angel - BG Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Heather Hazel, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Heather Hazel

Heather Hazel Member

2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Its not working either of the links.
    @Bandit's Mom offered to help you set it up, it might be worth accepting the help? :bighug:

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I can’t open the link and get an error with the one in your signature. Tagging belp. @Bandit's Mom

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Sue and Luci, tiffmaxee and SashaV like this.
  5. tiffmaxee

Hi Heather. Is it to late for you to shoot? A reduction was earned yesterday. We need you to find a dose you can shoot each cycle. It needs to be the same as Lantus likes consistency. I’m going to read your previous post.

6. tiffmaxee

7. Bandit's Mom

@tiffmaxee, Elise, she has already skipped the AM shot and had to take her mom to an appointment. Looks like Angel was seeing greens and limes on 1U itself? Only PS tests though!

Heather, when you are back home, could you fill up what dose you gave Angel between Dec 26th and Feb 10th?

Basaglar dosing is based on how low it takes the cat. Not based on pre-shot tests. To ascertain how low the dose takes the cat, you need more tests. In addition to the PS tests, a test at +2, will tell you if the cycle will be "active" - meaning whether the BG numbers could drop a good amount. When the +2 is lower than PS, we take another test usually between +4 and +6 to see how low the BG is going. The other thing is, you need these tests in both cycles. A lot of cats go low at night and are higher in the day. If you could get at least a +2 every night, that would be a big help.

Lastly, the higher numbers you are seeing do not necessarily mean that the dose is too low. Angel could be bouncing from low numbers.
    Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". Usually, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).​

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    tiffmaxee likes this.
  8. Heather Hazel

Heather Hazel Member

Thank you everyone! Between 12/26 and 12/10 Angel had one unit in am and pm. She began the 2 unit dosing on 2/11. At 11:00 today her gb was 113 (had one ounce of fancy feast pate) and then at 1:00 290.

9. tiffmaxee

I think she will be quite high by PMPS, a combo of the lows yesterday which has led to a bounce and the skipped shot. How many hours until PMPS? What time zone are you in?

10. tiffmaxee

Are you using syringes with your pen to draw up the insulin or just the pen? If you have syringes we have more options with the dose. Otherwise you will need to drop to 1.0 until you get them. If you are using* syringes do they have half unit markings?

11. Heather Hazel

Heather Hazel Member

I'm EST, she would typically start eating in 2 hours, so about 2 hours and 20 minutes.

12. Heather Hazel

Heather Hazel Member

I'm using the pen but will purchases syringes tomorrow!

13. tiffmaxee

In that case I would shoot 1.0. I had a feeling that’s why the full 1.0 increase.

14. Heather Hazel

Heather Hazel Member

Thanks again, I will purchase the syringe tomorrow and if I can ensure her numbers are safe I will start with 1.25 units on Sunday or Monday. If measuring with a micrometer I'm thinking it's millimeters?

15. tiffmaxee

I bought the digital calipers in the video. Easy to use. They lock in place. We will see his 1.0 works until you get the syringes. Walmart has them but you may need to tell them that. I used to buy syringe on line. One place to look is ADW. But buying locally will get them faster.

16. Heather Hazel

Heather Hazel Member

Perfect thanks again!

17. Bandit's Mom

These are the ones in Walmart. You want 0.30 cc/ml (30 units) syringes with half unit markings. Not the 0.5 cc/ml or 1 cc/ml ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Heather Hazel

Heather Hazel Member

I will pick them up today! Her GB was 348 this morning snd she had one unit. So thankful

19. Bandit's Mom

Get some mid-cycles tests whenever you can. Some in the night as well. Let's see how she fares on 1U to decide on dosing.
    And remember, just because she starts a cycle high does not mean she won't go low. Bandit has gone from 300s to 50s!

Could you also correct your Signature please? Just clear your existing Signature and copy-paste the below text into the Signature block:

Heather Hazel - Angel's Mom, DX: Oct 2020, Basaglar, LC Wet only, Alpha trak2
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K5_89vpBKH4LxYucW8B9mVx9m08_f51PKCi6VLNreaE/edit?usp=sharing

Btw, we start a new thread every day so that the thread don't become too long to read.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/posting-guidelines-please-read.231511/