? Constipation?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by chuckstables, Jan 25, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

Hey folks,

So I woke up this morning to a catbox literally full of poop. Like Sam must've lost like 1/20th of his body weight after that. It was truly absurd.

Then I thought back to the last 3 days; he barely pooped at all. He had like two poops, and they were darker and almost pellet like.

So I'm thinking he's just constipated. I know some people use miralax, but given that a lot of the poop was on the mushier side I'm hesitant. It was really something else; I didn't know a cat could have that much poop.

2. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried slippery elm with bark I give it & Mirilax to Panzer & his poops have improved so much since I added it in. Yeah them being constipated is not easy especially to see them try & nothing comes out. Are you still feeding Sam the same fancy feast flavors or did you add more? Trying to figure out why he was constipated then dumped it all out at once. How is he acting & feeling?

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  3. Chrispooky12

I see Sam earned a reduction but I'm not an expert hopefully a more experienced member will look at your spreadsheet & let you know for sure.That's great news:D @tiffmaxee @Wendy&Neko @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Suzanne & Darcy @Bron and Sheba (GA)

4. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Yep. Sam certainly did earn a reduction today to .75. Congratulations!

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

How about trying some fiber - a small amount. A lot of times if there is constipation you will first have hard stool followed by soft stool and/or diarrhea. Just make sure he’s having regular stool and, if not, start with a very tiny dose of maybe 1/8 tsp. of miralax. It’s the easiest and is easy to mix into food but slippery elm bark can help as well. Freeze dried pumpkin is a good fiber source as is psyllium husk. Many of my cats don’t like psyllium and some do like pumpkin and some don’t.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

And I wonder if the clearing of constipation today was the reason for the 47. I’ve seen it before. No matter what, he is doing so great and you deserve so much credit!

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Canned pure 100% pumpkin can help with both constipation and diarrhea. Give a teaspoon once or twice a day. I mixed it in my cat’s food. Congrats on the reduction.

Suzanne & Darcy and Chrispooky12 like this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

9. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh my gosh this is the second time this has happened to me today. I get a tag and I respond. I later find out that the whole thing has been discussed on a different thread on a different forum or a different post. I am trying to be responsive.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  10. Chrispooky12

I didn't see the other post either...we are human. I only saw this post & I always look at spreadsheets it's the way I learn:bighug:

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It may be helpful to post only on one forum. Moderators can merge the threads but as a rule, I'd suggest posing in one place so you don't drive yourself crazy.

Chrispooky12 and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Feline Health is a great place to talk about topics like constipation, so it was good to start a post about that here. Talking about dosing on two forums can get confusing.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  13. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

Hey sorry about that! I know the feeling lol. Here's a link to today's thread for anyone reading, I should've added it to start with.

And I really appreciate your support. Thanks :) https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/12-26-sam-amps-101-2-56.273485/

He had another big poop last night; he dropped lower again this morning pretty quickly after his (reduced) dose. Down to 56 within 2 hours! But I've picked up the baby squash, gonna give him a bit this evening, hope that it helps a bit.

Chrispooky12 and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.