Info Dr. Pierson - new Food Chart

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa dvm, Mar 3, 2017.

1. MoeMoe

MoeMoe Member

Thank you.

eva eva likes this.
  2. Charles Smith

Charles Smith New Member

lisa much thanks for sharing.

christye57 and eva eva like this.
  3. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Hello Dr Lisa! long time no talk to! Just wondering, did you get any more info on the foods and update the list since 2017? That is the date on the new list I found.
    Thanks for all you do! Ceil99

4. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Thank you so much Dr. Pierson!! As a new FDM mama this helps tremendously. :bighug:

christye57 likes this.
  5. trudy66

trudy66 Member

Thank you so much. I am new here. Just diagnosed this week. This was very helpful when I was at the store trying to get some higher carb foods
    for my hypo box.

christye57 likes this.
  6. JeanM

JeanM New Member

the link you provided only takes me to the old chart, 2017. I am very interested in the currenty info. How can I get the new chart?

7. trudy66

trudy66 Member

I got it off of Dr Lisa's website.
    Go to Feeding your cat: Know the basics of feline nutrition
    In the menu to the right Protein/Fat/Carb/Phosphorus Chart

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

christye57 and Lee cuzz like this.
  8. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

the new chart is labeled 2017 still. but it is the updated info

christye57 likes this.
  9. Vicpug

Vicpug Member

Choosing catfood in Australia is a tricky minefield. Many in the chart are no longer available. Websites often say the foods are made in Australia, but the packets say Thailand. And Royal Canin can be made in the EU somewhere and the back labels are in English and Russian. Russian??

christye57 likes this.
  10. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

11. sharon nelson

sharon nelson New Member

This is so incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!! My baby thanks you too!

12. Dosmit

Dosmit New Member

Hi there, I'm currently standing in a Petco and I can't find half the food on the list. Either some of the flavors are discontinued or unavailable in my area. I'm also not sure if I'm reading this correctly? Am I doing something wrong?

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Do you live in the US

14. Dosmit

Dosmit New Member

I do, I live in western Massachusetts. I picked up an assortment of what I could find based on the list, which amounted to ten cans of various brands, but I'm hoping I read the labels correctly. I'm not sure what I am supposed to see on the actual label. I don't understand the numbers at all, because the numbers on the chart aren't what's on the can.

I am autistic, and have comprehension issues, so could someone please explain to me how to read this chart and compare it to an actual can label? I need this spelled out for me very simply. If I can't find anything on the list, I need to know what I should be looking for on my own.
    I'm not sure I'm looking at the updated list, either? It still says 2017.

Please help me feed my poor cat? :(

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi they don't list carbs in the cans I see on your signature your cat is in remission
    Yes the list is old , that's the only one we have.
    you want to continue to feed low carb wet food
    Most of us feed Fancy Feast Classic Pates , just saw on your other post Fancy Feast makes him vomit. You vpcan try Friskies . If you look at that food chart you will see the carb%. You should have no problem finding these in the supermarkets

Some are 2, 3 or 6% carbs. Try to stay away from the fish flavors
    Were you ever home testing your kitty?
    You can find Friskies in your supermarkets .
    I see on your other post members have given you some suggestions

Feel free to ask any more questions
    @Dosmit

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  16. Dosmit

Dosmit New Member

Thank you all for your advice. He's been hospitalized with acute pancreatitis and triaditis. :(

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm so sorry to hear this ,please let us know how he's doing :bighug:
    If you want to you can start your own post and let us know how he's doing
    Go to Feline Health page and to the right it will say post new thread
    If you need help with anything just ask. Poor baby
    You can put Date New Member , your kitty's name then whatever you want to ask

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  18. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

Dr. Lisa, this chart is a godsend. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to glean and cross-reference this information from many sources -- and now here it is, all in one place, and with sliding filters!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.:bighug::cat::bighug:

19. eva eva

eva eva Member

THANKYOU!!!!

20. Tobycat

Tobycat New Member

eva eva likes this.
  21. Tobycat

Tobycat New Member

Thank-you for this food chart Dr. Lisa. Would you or someone on the forum, mind clarifying a few things regarding carb percentage? I read on PetMD to calculate carbs by adding up the moisture content along with protein, fat and fibre and subtracting the total from 100. The remainder would be the carb percentage. For example the Wellness Core - Chicken,Turkey and Chicken Liver Smooth has listed 12% protein, 7% fat, 1% fiber and 78% moisture which comes to a total of 98% so carb total would be 2%. (wouldn't fiber be a carb?) On your chart you indicate carbs at 8%, protein is 32% and 60% fat fo this food. Do you include the moisture content with each category? The ratio of fat to protein is higher in your count than on the tin, which says protein is higher. Im sure you've explained this somewhere on your post but if you dont mind clarifying this for me, I'd appreciate it. I bought this food because I thought it had the lowest carb with a higher protein.
    Thanks

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

I found this
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/calculating-calories-from-carbohydrates.205128/

23. Tobycat

Tobycat New Member

I’m so happy to have this chart. I can’t find the classic fancy feast and wondering if it’s only on the American website. In Canada I found the pate which looks the same but doesn’t say classic on the can. Is it the same thing? Does pate mean classic?

eva eva likes this.
  24. Diane Tyler's Mom

It doesn't say classic on it in Canada I pretty sure it just says Pate
    Just did a search and found this posted by one of our members from Canada
    Fancy Feast is not called Classic here. Just Pate.
    We usually like to feed 6% carbs preferably less
    I always fed 2 and 3% carbs of Fancy Feast

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    eva eva likes this.
  25. eva eva

eva eva Member

thank-you for all your hard work. we all are very grateful for you.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  26. eva eva

eva eva Member

have sw
    is there any dry food out there with low carbs? i prefer to leave dry kibble when I travel out of town to prevent hypoglycemia

27. eva eva

eva eva Member

Switched over to glargine finally. vetsulin seemed not to be working after 43 days of the same vial. changed in signature. looking for a chart of dry food to get a lower CHO content for when I leave for job. I don't want Phoebe to have hypoglycemia while I am oot. My caregiver for her doesn't do BG.

28. Diane Tyler's Mom

As far as lc dry You can try
    Dr Elsey's chicken flavor and young again zero will send you samples just call them
    Here are some low carb dry foods ,they are about 5 or 6% carbs
    None of them are cheap
    You need to order them online
    Dr Elseys you can buy on chewey site
    https://www.chewy.com/dr-elseys-cleanprotein-chicken/dp/146269?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12791446238&utm_content=Dr. Elsey's&utm_term=&show-search=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0PvU2Zj79wIVRIdbCh3JawEkEAQYASABEgIInfD_BwE

Young again on their web site
    https://www.youngagainpetfood.com
    Take a look at the young again zero or the zero mature

Dr Elsey's also at Walmart
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dr-Elsey...ViI3ICh0suwO_EAQYAiABEgJrOPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dr Elsey's Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCJHDPR/ref=twister_B09GHFJY65?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

the Dr Elsey's comes in different size bags
    None of these can be bought in stores

Dr Elsey's web site
    https://www.drelseys.com

Young again Zero Mature
    https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/products/zero-mature-health
    Young again on their web site
    https://www.youngagainpetfood.com
    Take a look at the young again zero mature

Here is their web site
    https://www.wysong.net/epigen
    Call then see if they will send a sample
    https://catfooddb.com/product/wysong/Epigen 90
    Is Wysong grain-free?
    Not satisfied with simply going grain-free, Wysong Epigen is the first dry kibble diet formulated with a patent-pending process that enables them to create a truly starch-free formula that closely mirrors the diet your pal was biologically designed to eat.
    Using the calculations provided by the AAFCO, Wysong Epigen 90 has approximately 364 calories per 100g (103 calories/ounce), which is an average amount of calories compared to the average of the other dry cat foods in the CatFoodDB.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  29. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Eva I was looking at your spreadsheet and saw you put the blank line above the date you switched to glargine can you please write on it Switched to Glargine so members will know if they look at your spread
    Also just wondering why you went to 2.25 units on 8-24 for the night cycle?
    When will you be going away for your job?
    Be sure to post before you go away and ask what dose you should give while you're away since your friend will not be testing at all , we worry :cat:

I also read on your previous post you said

eva eva said:
    When I leave, no her BG is not checked by my friend. she has a hard time giving the insulin. I draw up her insulin doses for the times she will be giving Phoebe her insulin. They are in the fridge in a cup that she grabs and gives.
    Here is your previous post
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/phoebe-and-new-iddm.267003/#post-2988412

Eva I did a search on our site about pre filling syringes and leaving them in the fridge
    This is what an experienced member said

I wouldn't fill the syringes in advance. I'd make a sample one for her to use as a guide with colored water.
    Maybe you can even put a piece a black electrical tape right o the line you want her to give so she knows to stop right there. I would start showing her how to do it before you go away.

I hope you don't mind I'm just looking out for you Phoebe :cat:

Lantus should not be pre-filling syringes. It is not recommended by the manufacturer. See page 3 of this link -- the information is on the Lantus board in the Insulin Care sticky.

Lantus insulin may become turbid or cloudy after 2 days of storage in prefilled syringes and fail to meet manufacturer specifications.

@eva eva

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  30. christye57

christye57 New Member

31. christye57

christye57 New Member

Dr thank you so much for all of your time and effort put into compiling this list for us!!! I still appreciate it♥️ There are SO MANY different kinds of food! I have a newly diagnosed sugar baby and every time I go shop I whip out the list! I’ve seen the “formula “ for figuring out the carb content and you have to be a mathematician! Thanks again and Bella thanks you too!!!

Dyana likes this.
  32. eva eva

eva eva Member

Thank you so much for all your hard work. You are an amazing person.