How much insulin??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Poopers and Catia, May 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Hi everyone! i just need someone help to let me know how much insulin i should give Poopers this morning.
    Last night his levels were at 11.3mmol/L (203md/dl) and i was suggested to give him 1 unit so i did.
    This morning for some reason i'm not able to get any blood out, well blood comes out but the monitor says its not enough and i think his paw is getting sore(i do it on his paw because i cant get anything from the ear).
    Would you suggest i just give him 1unit for now and monitor him closely? And i could check his results in a couple of hours to see how they are. Thank you!
    This is the conversation from yesterday https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-much-insulin-to-give.246910/#post-2785383.

2. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Responded on yesterday's thread. Thanks for starting a new one!

Give it a break and try after a little while?

4. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Hey thats exactly what i did! his level is at 9.4mmol/L (169md/dl). What is your suggest on the units of insulin:)

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I like the 1 u shot. I think you should stick with 1 u and see if it’s good. 2 u may have been a little too much.

6. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Yeah! i agree with you 100%.

7. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Poopers vet called me and told me that i can switch if it will make me more comfortable but to keep in mind that Lantus is a human insulin so it is stronger and that we should start at 1 unit and that it is long acting. He said that he gave me Caninsulin because it was made for cats... i didnt want to correct him because i didnt want him to give me attitude or anything like that. At least he agreed with me and just told me to keep him updated. I really want to thank you all so much i really dont know how Poopers would be without everyones help :bighug:

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

That's great news about switching to Lantus, you will love it.
    I see you live in Canada so from what I have read you don't need a script to get it from Marks Marine In Canada
    You will need U-100 syringes with half unit markings
    Get the 5 pack of pens, they will most likely last you for over a year
    Just stick the syringe in the gray rubber stopper and draw your insulin
    The expiration dates will probably be 2022 or 2023 keep them in the fridge middle shelf
    We increase or decrease by 0.25 units, if you use the pens without using a syringe you can inky adjust by 1 units

Lantus Solostar PEN CAN (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) *single pen open box* Brand 100iu/ml one pen 3 ml $49.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus Cartridges 5x3ml per box (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 15 ml $159.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus Solostar PENS 5x3ml per box (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 15 ml $164.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus VIAL Insulin (10ml per vial) (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 10 ml $110.99 USD
    https://rxcanada4less.com

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  9. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

OMG you are amazing!!! thank you so much! I will definitely start at 1unit but i will still update everyone until im fully confident on increasing or decreasing by myself. Thank you so much for these links

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

When you do get the Lantus, I would ask to see what dose you should start Poppers on.
    You are very welcome :cat:

11. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Yes i agree with you!:bighug:

12. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Would you recommend i give him 1 unit tonight as well?

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

I just looked back at your first post when you joined and Lyla suggested whete she buys lantus, wow much cheaper than Marks take a look

The best price on Lantus that I've found personally has been from https://diabetesexpress.ca/ They also have the best prices on insulin syringes and all other supplies you need. A few members besides me get their supplies here. Unless Poopers is a high dose kitty, most of us find that buying the cartridges ends up being better value, because you will use up the insulin to the last drop.

Just a word of caution about switching insulin: Lantus is a u-100 insulin, which means it measures 100 units of insulin/mL. Caninsulin is a u-40 insulin, so it measures 40 units of insulin/mL. It is critically important when switching your insulin to Lantus that you purchase u-100 syringes to use with it. These syringes will have an orange cap. Do not use your u-40 Caninsulin syringes (red cap) with Lantus insulin, or you will end up giving Poopers too much insulin.

Get a syringe that has half unit markings. These are the ones that I like:
    https://diabetesexpress.ca/collections/syringes/products/bd-uf-ii-syringe-3-10cc-31g-8mm

If you haven't seen it yet, here is a great thread on storage of insulin and what syringes are recommended, etc:
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...info-proper-handling-drawing-fine-dosing.151/

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

LANTUS INSULIN CARTRIDGE
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    $112.99
    SKU: INLT-002
    Select Your Product 5 x 3ml Cartridges
    5 x 3ml Cartridges - $112.99 CAD

Qty 1

15. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

I will do that! Thank you! i have been doing some research on how to measure using the u-100. For tonight he is still going to be on Caninsulin, a lot of people are suggesting giving him 1 units of course depending on his levels. Would you agree i give him 1 unit tonight as well

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

I have never given dosing advice I'm sorry, but if that is what they suggested I would go with the 1 unit and monitor him closely
    I would definitely try and get more tests in during both cycles especially at night so you have more data .

The only difference with the cartridges is that they don't come enclosed in a plastic outer thing for protection just in case you drop it, but you should be fine with the cartridges

17. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Ok thank you for your honesty! and again thank you for your help its really appreciated by both Poopers and i!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  18. Diane Tyler's Mom

19. Diane Tyler's Mom

[​IMG]

Just to show you the difference between the cartridges and the pens
    Let us know when you switch so you can change it on your spreadsheet and signature
    We will help you

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  21. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Poopers seems to be doing just fine on 1u, glad you got another test in this cycle. Looking forward to your PMPS.

22. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Hey I just checked Poopers levels for PMPS and it’s at 13.5mmol/L (243md/dl). How much insulin do you guys suggest I give him? His levels have been pretty good today (in my opinion) last night and this morning I gave him 1U should I stay at that?

23. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I would stick with 1u for tonight's dose.

24. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Ok I will definitely do that! Thank you so much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.