? MIMIS ketones are 1.1 and she hasn't eaten all day- just got home from trip HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mimis mom, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Im updating her SS right now but what happened??!?!? what do I do? could she have pancreatitis again?? dammit I don't really have a regular vet right now either... trying to recover from all of the bills from when she was DKA last october..

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I have never dealt with ketones but I know enough that she needs to eat. If not on her own then syringe. She needs more insulin too. I’m responding to bump you up.

3. tiffmaxee

Mimis mom likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

Mimis mom likes this.
  5. Mimis mom

Pancreatitis? :(

6. tiffmaxee

7. Mimis mom

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  8. Mimis mom

9. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

First, that level of ketone is not something to get frantic about. Make sure Mimi is eating, get as much liquid as you can into her, and keep testing for ketones so you know what's going on.

Second, no medical or veterinary professional will hand you a prescription without an office visit unless it's a prescription renewal and even then, they are supposed to see you annually versus just writing the Rx. It's their license. And while a vet visit may seem like it's an unnecessary expense, what happens if you ask for a medication you think will be fine and it harms your cat? You may not blame and/or sue the vet but many other people would because the "vet should have known." Frankly, I tend to not be a big fan of people advising that you give your cat a prescription medication unless it is abundantly clear what the problem is and you've given your cat that medication in the past.

Marje and Gracie and Tomlin like this.
  11. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

It looks like Mimi did not eat a lot while you were away. Did you ask the petsitter?

Push fluids to help Mimi flush out the ketones. Add water to her food to make it soupy.
    If she does not want to eat, feed her whatever she wants. We can work the insulin around it.

@Olive & Paula has experience with blood ketone meters, I believe.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

13. Mimis mom

So she ate her PS meal which was turkey with water over it - and then I just put out some sardines - she ate some of that. Her appetite isn’t as good as it usually is but she’s eating- she’s always hungry so it’s weird when she doesn’t want it. Come to think of it her appetite has been slightly less than for a while now- maybe a month?
    Ketones are 1.0 - and I gave her the shot of 1.25 where she should be back to. I’ll check her nadir in the middle of the night and keep everyone posted

14. tiffmaxee

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) I didn’t suggest she give a drug Mimi never had. I asked if she had any. If pancreatitis which she mentioned nausea medication would help. I’ve also seen cats that were DKA have been given nausea medication. If she had some it would have been prescribed.

15. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sorry, didn't get tag. I can't offer any new advice, everyone already said it all.

I would test at least once per cycle until ketones are under 1. The insulin depot needs to re-establish again. Push fluids and food if you can. Ketones that reach 2, a call should be placed to vets. Over 2 probably should see vet. 2.44 is the number where hospitalization is usually required.

Since you were giving vacation doses, it's probably why the ketones and not an infection somewhere. In an odd way, it lets you know Mimi, isn't ready for less insulin yet. Something to keep in mind.

Sue and Luci and Mimis mom like this.
  16. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

17. Mimis mom

She doesn’t have her same appetite which is making me think she could have some pancreatitis? I forgot vets still aren’t allowing us to come into the room with them and I need to explain to them why she hasn’t seen a vet in almost a year. (I’ve been using this website for care because most vets don’t understand this - how do I tell them that you know?)
    I also don’t want them to hospitalize her when I could just administer fluids myself- isn’t there a protocol for home care?
    I simply can’t afford another huge bill and I know I can probably take care of her better (there were so many reasons for this from my experience- too many to list but they really don’t know about the disease and she could have prevented her long stay...)
    I just hiked 16 miles to a high peak in the Adirondacks (which is why I was gone over night- I’m super tired and delirious right now- sleeping it off, so sorry for the rambling)

18. Mimis mom

I haven’t read all of this in its entirety because I’m a little under the weather myself but my big question is- DKA has to be because of pancreatitis as well as not just not eating and lack of insulin right? My worry is she could have pancreatitis and I need to get her to a vet so she can have an antibiotic- how do they test for that and does pancreatitis have to be a factor in DKA (or even what is causing her to not feel as hungry)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  19. Mimis mom

Also - I know I’ll need a new condo - but I just have the mental energy to keep this one atm-
    How do I tell the vet about this website, and how I really listen to your advice first without sounding like one of those weird don’t bring their kid to the doctor moms because we have an “herb” for that (even though I know that’s not what this is that’s what I fear I’ll sound like)

her ketones checked at AMPS today are .9

JanetNJ likes this.
  20. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We aren't vets - we can't even "see" Mimi from here. I think it's time for that long overdue vet visit.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  21. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I’m glad the ketones went down. Keep adding lots of extra water to the foods to continue to flush them.

22. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

If you have to give her any food she will eat. You don't have to tell vet about FDMB, just say you research and read ?????? do you think it's this or will such and such work? Smile and nod. Sometimes you just have to plant the idea in their head.

Pamela & Amethyst likes this.