New Member 2/10/2021

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole - Toe's mom, Feb 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

hi, just wanted to send you a hug after reading this thread. Honestly you've done the best thing possible finding this forum, everyone is so supportive and kind. I joined a few years ago, terrified and overwhelmed, and thanks to this I found out about a trial of prozinc here in UK and my baby went into remission. There are carb free freeze dried treats that would be fine to give Toes (what a cutie from his pic).
    I am the world's worst ear tester. I do the sock method and also sandwich Angel's ear in between the sock and a finger, caress it gently, then get a sample (or more likely being me, attempt to get one).
    Angel is still in remission but sadly diagnosed with stage 3 ckd so I've had a whole new condition to learn about. I'm hoping he has a few years left, he is the sweetest natured cat I've ever had.
    Just editing after seeing your pics, I honestly can't advise as it doesn't have quantities, I think it would depend on the amount of grain x

2. Nicole - Toe's mom

Nicole - Toe's mom Member

Thank you so much, it makes me happy to have found such AMAZING people who are so willing to help guide me through all of this. Toes is my baby, 14 years... It definitely is alot of information and can be super stressful. I'm so sorry to hear about your fur baby. It is so hard with a diagnosis like that.. I'm not sure the treatment options they offer, but hopefully something to keep you 2 together longer <3 Sending lots of love and hugs your way!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

By way of general info, should you or any cat parents you know were to ever need it (hopefully not), there is an absolute goldmine of information on how to help cats with renal insufficiency here:

Tanya's Site

(Going for two decades, extremely well researched, highly reputable.)

Mogs

4. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Plain boiled chicken would be 0% carbs - good for poke treats.

Pics didn't show up for me.

5. Nicole - Toe's mom

[​IMG]

6. Nicole - Toe's mom

not sure if you can see the pic?.. So his BG was 144 at +3.75, he did eat a little more of the pate/seafood grilled mixture afterwards.

Critter Mom and Shelley & Jess like this.
  7. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Nope, still not working :( What's the name of them?
    You've got a nice cycle going so far. When are you planning on testing next?
    By feeding a small amount of LC early in this cycle I wanted to ease him down slowly so we didn't get a fast drop or have him go too low and trigger a bounce. Hopefully this will help him not bounce. We've got a limited number of cycles where you are around to closely monitor while transitioning the food and I'm hoping we don't lose one (or more) of those cycles to a bounce when you try the reduction to 0.5u the next cycle. Make sense?

8. Nicole - Toe's mom

https://getyourcbd.store/cbd/sunmed-pet-cbd-cat-snacks-150mg-nd-thc/ <--- Here is the website for those treats.

I will grab one in 15mins. That will be at the +5.5. His poor little ears :( He is tolerating it well though. I did buy the neosporin +pain relief for his ears so hopefully that helps. And yes, that does make sense. Now when I get his PMPS, should I give the 0.5u regardless of what that number is? Last night he did drop down with the 1u and MC I gave. He is so unexpected with his numbers.

9. Critter Mom

Hi Nicole,

FYI, while historically neosporin with pain relief has been used by members here, recently one of the mods posted a warning that it's not recommended for cats. Here's the thread:

Warning About Neosporin

Mogs

Nicole - Toe's mom likes this.
  10. Nicole - Toe's mom

Oh no! ok, I will stop using it. I didn't realize. I saw a few people post that they used it. I do want to keep him safe though!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

I'm no carb expert, but the second ingredient is ground corn and then some brewers rice, sounds the same as Temptations treats - high carb. Might have messed with this cycle a bit :(

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Nicole - Toe's mom

Do u think the 4 would have messed it up? Meaning, he would have probably dropped lower today? ugh... I don't want to mess things up.. I'm glad he didn't spike either.

13. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

....yeah

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Critter Mom

Lots of members have been using it all the time since I joined FDMB and, I would assume, for a long time before that. The warning is very recent, so I'm trying to do my bit to spread the word. :)

Mogs

Nicole - Toe's mom likes this.
  15. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yes, please drop the dose to 0.5U and keep it there for at least 3-6 cycles, likely longer. Unless Toes drops low and another reduction is needed.

Would you start a new thread please? This one has gone to 2 pages, and I almost missed seeing the second page worth of posts. We like to keep threads under 50 replies. Makes the database behind the scenes work better too.

Be sure to link this thread into the top of the new thread.

16. Nicole - Toe's mom

@Deb & Wink how do I link it at the top? I'm not the best with computer stuff, sorry :(

Deb & Wink likes this.
  17. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.