Question about first week on Lantus? What to expect?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by TankNRK, Feb 21, 2023.

1. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

We did it! Lantus was acquired, Lando has officially had his first dose! Did 1.5u like suggested and had no issues pulling from the pen to syringe and followed instructions perfectly :)

I know it takes like 7 days for the depo to fill, but will his numbers still come down from the first shot today? He's just been rising lately and was at 460 preshot today, vs 2 weeks ago in 200-300s. I know we won't see the full effects for about a week but I was curious if his numbers will still come down, how fast they come down, and what to expect for the next couple days as he adjusts to Lantus vs the Vetsulin previously.

Thank you!

2. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

I don’t know the answer to this, but Lando is adorable!! Good luck with the Lantus :):cat:

TankNRK likes this.
  3. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Thank you! Just took a lil +2 check and he's still HIGH HIGH HIGH we're usually dropping by now on Vetsulin, just trying to be patient haha!

4. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

yay you posted it here! You can start adding in your BG numbers in the title too, it will help everyone see what Lando is doing. There is also a drop down menu when you are making the title so you can select the type of post it is.

TankNRK likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Lando could also still be bouncing from the blues last night. Unfortunately Lantus isn't a cure for bounces. :( To answer the question on how long you'll see action, there is no set answer for every cat. I've seen people see action on the first cycle through to the 10th. I don't think it will take you that long.

As Margaret mentioned, we have some posting conventions on this forum, just cause it's so busy here and we don't want to miss you when you need us:
    POSTING GUIDELINES PLEASE READ

TankNRK likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

TankNRK likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It’s suggested that you test every 3 hours tge first few cycles if possible just in case there’s a big response to lantus. I suggest you read the stickies a little at a time as there’s a lot of really good info. As to how he will respond it’s impossible to say as every cat is different. Do you have any idea how carb sensitive he is?

TankNRK likes this.
  8. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Unfortunately I actually won't be able to get tests like that in until next Saturday I'm working every day until then. But I am getting PM cycle checks until about +5 But I can come home at his +5 and get a check, then a +8 1/2 on my work days.
    So far so good, he was 321 this morning after days of preshots in the mid to high 400s, so I can tell the Lantus is still working :) I got a +2 on him last night and he was still really high.

I'm not really sure how carb sensitive he is. I do know that when we've had a couple low number scares we never needed high carb food. We've just kept him strictly FF and Friskies since diagnosis.

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

With Lantus if the +2 is a lot lower than the preshot you might have an active cycle where he could go lower. I see where he was green in the past but never really low. We usually reserve hc for under 50 unless dropping into lower than used to early and you need to leave. So he should be fine while you are at work. A auto feeder would be good to get for when you are at work or asleep.