???? Switching from Vetsulin --> Lantus; Need Advice On Dose! :)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kitten68, May 17, 2024.

1. kitten68

kitten68 Member

hello!! :)

well, wanting badly to switch from Vetsulin to Lantus so could use some advice on dosage.. understand that you're not to start from scratch, but base off where they at on the previous insulin (currently Vetsulin, 2 U AM, 1.5 U PM).

a bit overwhelmed with getting meds but excited mostly ~ told there's ways to do it without having a hard time. and its very affordable rn.. :) need syringes too.. :woot:

OOH can anyone explain the markings on them? I understand the .25 measurements on the right..but see on the left side 5 measurements.. it appears? so increments of .2?.. HM. :) on these for example.. not sure if understanding correctly.. will be asking pharmacists as well for advice.
    https://www.amazon.com/UltiCare-31-Gauge-Veterinary-Insulin-Syringes/dp/B009LTE0DO

also hear different things on refrigeration, but plan on keeping refrigerated cuz hear that's best. my fridge runs tho a bit cold (don't want to touch temp.. a lovely older unit..) not sure if its a problem.. :/ did hear as long as its not frozen, should be ok... but idk. would keeping on door be ok in this instance? was advised :cat: in the middle is better? (will need to check temp in middle too.. but either way runs coldish.. been doing door storage for the Vetsulin cuz it cold..)

what will be nice too is that Lantus does NOT and should not be shaken right? Vetsulin needs to be shaken and lately finding (or just now noticing) it separates if not given pretty quickly.. ugh.

if anyone has any advice, tips, very welcome and appreciated.. will be taking the weekend to go over protocols and info on here.. trying to get a script done today as well. (I am so tired tbh.. but will try my best to get at least get a script done today, and buy things today/weekend.. thinking of using Costco/Walmart..)

:D @Diane Tyler's Mom @Suzanne & Darcy @Shell @Don Degludec @Noah & me (GA) @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Marje and Gracie @Bandit's Mom --- (life of me not sure if missing anyone id like to include :cat::cat::cat:.. combing my threads.. lol ALSO is there a way to find all your threads together?.. feel like im all over the place looking for them.....:woot:)

Last edited: May 17, 2024
  2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry, I haven't had a sugar cat in 3+ years and have never used Lantus. Thanks for thinking of me though. o_O

kitten68 likes this.
  3. kitten68

kitten68 Member

np!! :) thanks for lmk will keep in mind lol :cat::cat:

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  4. Shell

Shell Member

Hello! My syringes do not have any other marks than the 1, 2, 3 unit etc. Anything in between, I just eye the dose. And, I just picked up a box yesterday. Otherwise I would have gotten this deal on Amazon. They look nice. Certainly, speak with the pharmacist to clarify those marks. :)

The only thing I know is that freezing will ruin it. Lantus is not shaken. My Vet says I should "agitate" it. My mom is a nurse and she taught me to roll the bottle gently between my hands rather than shake it. Shaking it could ruin it. I don't know how, but I am not going to try to find out.

:cat:

kitten68 likes this.
  5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes, when switching insulins you take into account the dose of the previous insulin. When will you be switching to Lantus?

You could also check out the Glargine generic available now (Semglee) which is cheaper than Lantus.
    Here's some info on Sourcing Insulin More Economically

This sticky has pics and info as well as videos:
    Insulin Care & Syringe Info: Proper Handling, Drawing, Fine Dosing

We normally suggest not to keep insulin in the fridge door because of the movement as well as great exposure to the higher outside temperature.

No shaking or rolling the vial/pen. You also don't inject air in the pen before drawing insulin in the syringe. You want to get pens rather than a vial.

You can buy syringes at Walmart. Their ReliOn brand of U-100 syringes of 30 unit (0.3 ml) capacity come with half unit markings and only cost $12.58 for a box of hundred. Will tag @Diane Tyler's Mom to share a pic of the box.

Here you go! :)
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/search/71402486/

kitten68 and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Bhooma I did give her a pic of the relion syringes both boxes :cat:
    @Bandit's Mom

kitten68 and Bandit's Mom like this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

To find all your posts tap on your name then tap on Profile Page then tap posts and you will see all of your posts
    @kitten68

kitten68 likes this.
  9. Don Degludec

Don Degludec Member

I'm not sure I'm the right person to answer to this, but since I was tagged I will share my thoughts and experiences.
    Lantus is an U100, while Caninsulin is an U40 insulin. Meaning strength wise, Lantus has 100 units in 1ml, while Caninsulin has 40 units in 1ml of liquid.
    Thus, logically [and mathematically] speaking, Lantus is 2,5x stronger than Caninsulin. The conversion therefore would be 1 IU Lantus = 2,5 IU Caninsulin. Strength wise, anyway.
    But it's important to remember that the two insulins work very differently.

When we switched, my boy was on 3,5 IU Caninsulin BID, and we dropped do 1 IU Lantus BID, to be safe. In all honesty, he could've done with 1,25 IU as a starting dose, but definitely not more - he had proven me very early on that 1,5 IU was too high for him, so I'm glad I played it safe.

Others' opinion may vary, I'm just sharing what worked for us. [Then again, Lantus didn't really end up working for us on the long run, so I probably should've just kept my mouth shut :rolleyes:]

kitten68 likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

@kitten68
    I have no idea what you mean
    For lantus here are the markings, you want the ones on the left
    • Full and half-unit syringe scales:
    [​IMG]

kitten68 likes this.
  11. Diane Tyler's Mom

I would just get the Relion Premier Classic human meter and only use that
    Tell your vet you can't afford the price anymore for the Alpha Trak
    My vet was fine when I told her that
    @kitten68

kitten68 and Mazi's Mom like this.
  12. Don Degludec

Don Degludec Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom can we have a petition to officially refer to it as Aloha Trak from now on? :D /insert Hula booty wiggle here

kitten68 likes this.
  13. kitten68

kitten68 Member

hii! thanks for getting back ~ well im thinking sometime next week but not sure.. just wanted to jump on the deal going on rn and save in the meantime.. apparently is $35 atm, was gonna see if could pull that through.. also need to source syringes. :) will look into Semglee! tyy yes lol the insulin care page is on my reading list.. ugh. *cries will try to keep insulin more inside then. just talked w the vet, and they're against the pen.. doesn't know how that would work. suggested vial.. but the pens are what everyone seems to use here and is on sale.. not sure how much the vial is. o_O.. what to do? was gonna try going in and getting scripts.. will ask for both maybe (says vial OR pen on script..) will definitely be looking in at Walmart! :) yay.. just was surprised to see there isn't a webpage for them.. (??).. was gonna see if in stock. and your link didn't work for me sorry *cries. :cat::blackeye:

14. kitten68

kitten68 Member

oh no.. im sorry to hear. I also have heard it didn't help in certain instances.. :( did something eventually hopefully do so? what are your thoughts? and right, yes, will start conservatively definitely..

15. kitten68

kitten68 Member

tysm for the photo!! explains things a lot.. I had it twisted another way woof :) tyy and im sorry about the confusion; not using Alpha, only ReliOn and was just saying need to buy more haha, strips.. ugh. just bought some too but we testing a lot lately.. :/ will look at the syringes when I do. :cat:

PS. just talked w the vet, and they're against the pen.. doesn't know how that would work. suggested vial.. but the pens are what everyone seems to use here and is on sale.. not sure how much the vial is.. what to do? was gonna try going in and getting scripts.. will ask for both maybe (says vial OR pen on script..)

16. kitten68

kitten68 Member

im just trying to pick up the meds while there's a coupon.. just see how it goes if it works lol *cries

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

I got you confused with someone else that uses the Alpha Trak sorry about that.
    Tell your vet you want the 5 pens!
    Why should the vet care ,you're the one paying for them
    Here is a pic ,you can show the vet and educate them !
    You can show the vet how it will work
    Lol Bron just beat me to it with the pic
    @kitten68

kitten68 likes this.
  18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Don’t get the vial. Get the pen. It is very easy to use. You withdraw the insulin with a syringe. The syringes you need is U100 3/10, 30 or 31 gauge, 6 or 8 mm insulin syringes with 1/2 unit markings.

upload_2024-5-18_10-9-10.jpeg

kitten68 likes this.
  19. Diane Tyler's Mom

kitten68 likes this.
  20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Didn’t know you were posting Diane! I posted just as you did lol

21. Diane Tyler's Mom

No problem Bron :cat:

kitten68 likes this.
  22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Again got you mixed up with another member, I know you have the Relion
    @kitten68

kitten68 likes this.
  23. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Bandit's Mom
    Hi Bhooma just in case you didn't see that @kitten68 can I ask you your name
    Bhooma lives in India and it's probably around 6 AM there now, she usually comes on later tonight
    answered your questions in your post #5

kitten68 likes this.
  24. Don Degludec

Don Degludec Member

Changing to an unconventional insulin did, thankfully. Turns out my cat is hypersensitive to literally everything that works very well for the vast majority, so there's that :rolleyes: I guess he decided he'll take one for the team, and be the exception that makes the rule... in every damn thing. The outlier, if you will.

@Diane Tyler's Mom @Bron and Sheba (GA) - You guys are keep mentioning the pens. Don't you have just the boxed, 5x 3ml cartridges for sale in the US and Oz?

kitten68 likes this.
  25. Bron and Sheba (GA)

They are the refills for the pens and are called pens to identify them. You don’t have to buy the pen itself. Just the box of 5x3 ml

26. kitten68

kitten68 Member

oh lol! that's all right! yeah nooo using ReliOn Classic :D and this is what I said! lol like.. but they came around! when I went to pick up the scripts, they had done some research before I came and were onboard w the pens. gonna see about getting Lantus tmw morning/this weekend :) we'll probably be a bit slow changing (they want to be slow..) but hoping the coupons good for a while so I can get in there and just have it on hand.. a little worried about my cold fridge but ill follow your advice and store em on middle close to the door.. GoodRx coupons expire? there's no date (if you might know).

tysm for putting up/asking for a photo on steps using the pen w syringe! also.. the syringes.. I feel a bit lost w them.. the ones from Walmart come with 1/2 unit markings?? :) the vet also prefers a gauge of 29 cuz they're sturdier needles.. but idk. and 1/2 inch long as well.. need to find and research these too. was thinking a smaller gauge would definitely be more comfortable.. but they use 29 to make sure they go in well.. :/ IDK. TY!! :cat::cat::cat:

27. kitten68

kitten68 Member

TYSM!! very cool.. ok so just remove cap, and use the pen like you'd use a vial, replace cap? :) the manufacturer website said to put air in then withdraw.. but NO NO for pens right? just withdraw amount and replace cap? :)
    and thanks for syringes.. was telling Diane that I feel a bit lost w them.. the ones from Walmart come with 1/2 unit markings (if you might know about these, they're the ReliOn ones)?? and the vet also prefers a gauge of 29 cuz they're sturdier needles.. but idk. and 1/2 inch long as well.. 8-6 mm.. not sure what that is in inches, if im understanding these two things are the same.. need to find and research these too. was thinking a smaller gauge would definitely be more comfortable.. but they use 29 to make sure they go in well.. :/

28. kitten68

kitten68 Member

I did see her post! answered each one she sent me!! its farther up; sent her a reply w everything :cat::cat: (ty!) of course I need to re-read all my threads again.. everyones wisdom. ty!!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  29. kitten68

kitten68 Member

oooh!! :D:D lol.. well. whatever works! Tresiba is it?? :woot:

30. Diane Tyler's Mom

I have always used these and never has a problem with them not being sturdy
    These were the ones from Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/UltiCare-31-Gauge-Veterinary-Insulin-Syringes/dp/B009LTE0DO

kitten68 likes this.
  31. Diane Tyler's Mom

Yes just take the cap off or whatever you want to call it and insert the syringe and draw out the insulin. Don't put air in it
    @kitten68

32. Diane Tyler's Mom

Yes a lot of members use them
    @kitten68

33. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm glad your vet came around
    The Goodrx does not expire

34. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

@kitten68 If you drop a vial it's going to break and you have nothing. A vial holds 1000 units and not many cats can use that much before it starts to lose efficacy and you end up throwing a lot of it away. A 5 pack of pens is a total of 1500 units, but each pen only holds 300 units, so you can use each one down to the last drop while the other pens stay safely in the fridge. They are good until the expiration date on the box (usually at least 2 years). If you drop a pen, you're much less likely to break it, but even if you did, you'd have extras!

We use pens just like a vial - you pull the cap off and there's a rubber stopper just like on a vial. You use regular insulin syringes and pull the insulin out of the pen. The only difference is that you inject air in the vial before drawing insulin but you don't do that with pens.

A 31G needle would be thinner than a 29G one. ReliOn syringes cannot be be bought online. You need to go to Walmart to buy them. These are the ones you want:
    [​IMG]

35. Diane Tyler's Mom

@kitten68
    Either of these 2 boxes are the ones you want (with a purple stripe) from Walmart if you switch to Lantus just like Bhooma posted
    To tell you the truth I have never come across 29 gauge U-100 syringes with half unit markings
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    kitten68 likes this.
  36. Diane Tyler's Mom

The syringes Bhooma and myself will be fine ,they will go in ,like I said never heard any member here say they had a problem with 31 gauge
    @kitten68

kitten68 likes this.
  37. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes use the 31 gauge. They are plenty big enough.
    And get the ones with 1/2 unit markings.

38. Don Degludec

Don Degludec Member

Gotcha. So just semantics.

Are your cartridges made from vibranium? o_O Cause damn sure mine always at least crack, warranting me having to dispose them.

kitten68 likes this.
  39. kitten68

kitten68 Member

everyone.. all I can say is thank you SO SO much for all the guidance.. truly. :bighug:

it's been very challenging over here seeing him feel sick and it just sucks.. I try not to blame myself but I do.. last night was tough again.. his sugars weren't controlled too good.. were in 300s this morning (his dose is a little less at night..). he was restless and hungry. night was long. and sad. lol *cries.

but thanks for taking the edge off a little. I will be reading more on Lantus pages this weekend again and going to pick some up ideally tmw. so happy that the coupons don't expire.. tysm for all the tips. now I reply.. :smuggrin:

40. kitten68

kitten68 Member

so great to hear! :woot: frankly I prefer a smaller gauge, they hurt less!!!!!.. glad there's never been problems cuz the shots hurt him sometimes and looking forward to a smaller gauge to see. :( (also, for anyone using 26-28 gauge for ear testing, I have found the the 30-31 work just fine... (only ones I use and am so GLAD were the only ones available.. cause testing bothers him to, though we have to do it.. and these hurt less) I try to move around his skin but it's hard.. doc shaved a part of his hairs for reference and I try to make sure its in the skin and not the muscle.. and the bevel upward.. just ugh. sometimes he doesn't even flinch, other times he's yelling at me.. tysm!! will be using these. they're really affordable too. :) glad to hear.. was feeling lost on them. :/ (thanks for the Amazon ones again too for reference as another alternative, ty ty!) SOO happy to hear no one has had a problem.. lets see. :)

and tyy!! will just draw out the insulin.. use like a vial; place needle in stopper.. and pull a little teensy more in case of bubbles (there ARE always bubbles..) and will squirt out in sink.. sound good? :) what ive been doing.. ugh.

and I am glad they came around too! I was surprised lol.. you know, they're a NEW vet.. happened just to go cause of good reviews and very close by. wasn't sure how they'd be.. is it ideal, no.. but it's getting better. they do care I think a lot.. bedside manner tho could use some fixing up. lol.... smh. what we got rn. and do think competent. and available to call 24/7.. will say when I went to get scripts.. it was interesting and think they're learning some things from us, too. so that's good I guess. so glad again these coups don't expire!! :) :)

I will be grabbing those syringes when I get more strips.. thinking just to get everything at Walmart then.. plus the script. cause its all there. haha. :cat::cat:

41. kitten68

kitten68 Member

ohh I didn't want a vial, just the vet was giving crap about vials so I was asking in case.. lol they came around tho. pens are just fine. :) this is all great tips and advice to keep in mind! and for the value, the pens are really it.. and exactly! they also keep longer and fresher because they're in smaller packs. so good to know. tyy will be picking these up. :) (and I was only looking online for syringe to see local stock.. see which Walmarts have them. will just be going in and hopefully finding. tbh am surprised they don't have a webpage for them..)

right! thinner, and I look forward to this (31 gauge..) because I am really hoping they bother him less. :( :(

42. kitten68

kitten68 Member

will do! good to know, the damned 29 seem to hurt him.. :( :( !!!!

43. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I have fiyugured out most of your acronyms, but tried googling tyy and don't know what that means.

kitten68 likes this.
  44. kitten68

kitten68 Member

oh no im sorry! lol ty is thank you, tysm is thank you so much, mm.. lol tyy is like thank youuu haha.. any others I missed? :)

45. kitten68

kitten68 Member

ty all so much for the guidance in transitioning to Lantus.. so great. *cries :woot::cat: thanks for everything.

by chance any suggestions on the dose? vet was thinking starting at 1 U..

46. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Suzanne & Darcy
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)
    @Bandit's Mom
    @kitten68
    Can you tell these members when you will be starting lantus?
    By the way that rainbow you have there means a kitty has passed on to the Rainbow Bridge, so don't use it :cat:

kitten68 likes this.
  47. kitten68

kitten68 Member

:woot:
    so sorry; removed. quite embarassed.. and thinking of starting (Lantus) this week sometime; will inform day or few days before definitely (would like me to as well?).. going to try picking up meds today/tmw.. checking out my fridge temps atm.. :bookworm:

48. Diane Tyler's Mom

No problem about the rainbow emoji ,just thought I'd let you know :cat:
    @kitten68

kitten68 likes this.
  49. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My Neko started on Caninsulin and the 29 g syringes. Both she and I were so much happier with the 31g syringes I used for Lantus. No problem with "sturdiness". My cat's skin wasn't leather. Just make sure to rotate the injection site around.

Regarding Pudge's dose. First of all Lantus isn't 2.5 times stronger, it's 2.5 times more concentrated. Which is why you have to use the U-100 syringes. If you use the U-40 syringes, you are shooting 2.5 times the volume and hence 2.5 times the dose.

With Lantus, you will be shooting the same does in the AM and the PM. I think you could start with either 1.5 units, or 1.75 units. Pick a day/night when you will be around to monitor fairly closely. Every once in a while we see a cat that reacts strongly to the change in insulin in the first couple cycles. But since Pudge hasn't been below 150 yet, the doses above should be OK. Depends whether you want to start eyeballing those 0.25 unit differences right away on new syringes.

One other thing about syringes, some have fatter barrels, some are thinner and longer. The thinner longer ones have more space between the 0.5 unit marks, making it a little easier to get those in between doses. Or just use a magnifier like many of us have done.

kitten68 likes this.
  50. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

A few other notes about Lantus...
    • Please read the sticky notes at the top of the Lantus board.
    • Like Wendy said, you need U100 syringes with half unit markings.
    • You test, feed, and shoot all within a few minutes. Unlike Vetsulin, you do not need to wait 20-30 min before giving insulin. Lantus onset (when it begins to work) takes about 2 hours for most cats.
    • You may not see a huge response the first 5 - 7 days. Lantus is a "depot" insulin. What that means is that when Lantus injected it forms crystals that are deposited in the fat tissue. Over the course of the cycle, most of the insulin slowly dissolves. However not all of the insulin dissolves. It takes about a week for the "storage tank" (i.e., depot) to form and stabilize. The depot is what gives Lantus its long duration and gentle action.
    • Lantus likes consistency. That means you need to give the same dose at AMPS and PMPS with the only exception being if a dose change is warranted or the numbers are too low to shoot. (I would strongly urge you to post and ask for help, preferably on the Lantus board if you think the numbers are too low to shoot.)
    • Lantus also likes consistency with shot time. You have a limited window to give a shot. If, for whatever reason your shot time is off, your next shot is due 12-hours later. You can adjust shot times either by 15 min at each shot time or by 30 min once a day.

kitten68 likes this.
  51. kitten68

kitten68 Member

:cat::cat: oh man ok boy do i look forward to that then.. i asked the vet and he insisted on 29.. to make sure it gets in. but i am HAPPY to try the 31.. right! also.. vet shaved a little area in the begining to make it easier for me to give doses.. how to avoud fur shots? will probably keep his hair trimmed tbh for time being.. but yeah. :)

right concentrated.. omg terrible. U 100.. U 100.. ok. well. vet was saying 1 U.. but u think as high as 1.5, 1.75? hmm. :woot: i did hear something you don't start from "scratch" even tho its new insulin but im not sure.. part of me wants to be very slow cause its a new insulin, longer acting.. etc. cause im deathly nervous of the trouble of a bad episode. so.. think 1.25 would be ok? might just do 1 U cuz im nervous.. haha. but plz lmk.

good to know on the syringes!.. hmm ReliOn and a brand on Amazon were given to me :D:cat::cat: so will be going w one of those..

52. kitten68

kitten68 Member

ty for this!!! yes.. reading them rn/today.. ty for these!! oh my.. just sounding 100 times better already.. least the regimen. no shaking (i HATE the Vetsulin has to be shaken.. find it sometimes starts to separate if it's out just a smidge too long..:rolleyes: and im always double triple checking..) and not having to wait 20-30 minutes..... omg. :blackeye: yayy.. so, would it be all right to... feed and shoot while almost done eating (after having eaten a fair amount?).. or to finish eating then shoot? (hopefully can shoot while on the end of eating cause its a nice distraction..) good to know could take up to 5-7 days....

i see about Depot insulin (i imagine my reading will tell me all about this too :cat:) and just happened to peruse some of the Lantus website, they did freak me out about causing toughened skin and other stuff w the injections.. will do best to move around o_O.... also any tips on avoiding fur shots? (do have a little part of his fur shaved to help w doses.. been good..) injections of course still subcutaneous, like been doing?

another thing is, the vet wants to do the curve/change in the office... drop him in morning and pickup in evening.. but idk. :\ i asked about doing it at home (which makes me nervous too in case it goes sideways for some reason but that would stress him way less..) but theyre worried too and want to have it done there at vet office.. things is if he needs to eat, then get the shot soon after, he aint gonna eat there.. id have to feed and take him, so wouldn't be getting his shot immediately.. not sure what to do w this.

and i have tbh and say.. the schedule here has been and become very regimented. to hear Lantus is the same time everyday, we do this now already :cat:.. 12 hrs apart. i was curious about this~ if Lantus needed to be the same time everyday, with a very small window of flexibility, etc. i was thinking probably so and excellent to know.. so the next one should be 12 hrs later depending on the time.. and same time everyday? ok :cat: ty for specifying window!.. phew.

53. Wendy&Neko

Many people shoot Lantus while kitty's head is in the bowl. My girl wolfed her food and didn't want any distractions so I waited until after - which was about 30 seconds.

Couple tips in this post on shooting. The roll method helped me reduce the number of fur shots. Testing and Shooting Tips

I would insist on doing the curve/change at home. Vets get busy, have emergencies. The one time I agreed to a curve with Neko, back in the early days, they only got two tests in. :rolleyes: She got a little spicy with them testing too, which probably didn't help the results. I've had a non diabetic cat test over 220 at the vet, and 53 at home the next day. Vet stress is real and those stress BG numbers you should not use to decide how to change the dose. Plus it is way cheaper to do at home. Just tell them you'd like to try the curve at home first. If it doesn't work out you can do the following one at the vet. Besides which, if it's the first shot of Lantus at the vet, it's most often a non event and paying to see higher numbers, due to having to wait for the depot to build. Just make sure you have some high carb wet food/karo/honey on hand to be prepared.

You can give Lantus shots with a bit of wiggle room. Switch them up 15 minutes per cycle (shot), or 1/2 hour once per day.

kitten68 likes this.
  54. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Gabby was very food motivated. There were very few things that would bother her if she was eating. She got her shot when her head was in the bowl. FWIW, I shot in the same area for 6.5 years. There wasn't any scar tissue build up. In all likelihood, it's an 'every cat is different' sort of thing. Other than that, giving insulin is alway subcutaneous. What you've been doing is what you will want to be doing with Lantus.

I don't think I ever did a curve at the vet's office. I agree with Wendy. Cats get too stressed and in any number of cases, the numbers at the vet's office are much higher than what you would see at home. If the vet bases the dose recommendation on the numbers in the office, you run the risk of over dosing your cat. Tell the vet you'll send the results of the home curve. (Keep in mind, they charge you every time they test. It gets expensive!)

kitten68 likes this.
  55. kitten68

kitten68 Member

yayy! great to know been doing that w Vetsulin.. cause you have to wait some time, he gets leftover food and is eating a bit again when its shot time plus treats.. will now just move it to the first meal, waiting til almost done, or bring him more to eat if need. :cat:.. phew this is a time saver and gets things over with for the day/night.. used to waiting now, but think it'll be nice not to have to......

ALSO, the ReliOns at Walmart have half unit markings if you might know??...

@Wendy&Neko :cat::cat::cat:

i was thinking this too.. when diagnosed, he was 326 there.. god knows what it actually was, probably lower in mid/low 200s..... but we started small anyway.. i asked the vet and he really wants him there, but this is also the truth. IF i do do it at home, i will be starting at just 1 U.. :/ do have some sugar paste from the vet.. and saved some Greenies, plus have FF Gravy Lovers.. ugh. o_O i will think on doing it at home.. how exactly to do this if you could maybe briefly lmk? have a bit of an idea but yeah.

ALSO tho, which is is also important if i do curve at home.. im finding.. that my ReliOn Classic meter.. is doing what feels like extreme readings, but im not sure if they are. two or three times now.. had a reading of like 284.. did another.. 238 (!).. then had to do 2 more to verify. o_O
    and today..... was like 255.. did another, was like 228....... these numbers can't possibly be close can they if you might know? (understand there's a margin of error..) im burning through strips!!! or, is could it be the strips?.... terrible..... i tested my ReliOn and felt like it was giving good readings but now im like.. trash, buy/request another???....... :/

56. Wendy&Neko

Yes, there is a margin of error in test strips. I believe it's 20% in the US. It becomes a much smaller number below 100 where it's critical. Above 200, all we care is that it's between 200 and 299. 20% of 200 is 40 points. 20% of 284 is 56 points or 228, so 238 is in that range. You can keep using the current one. Were the values different from the same blood drop, or different drops?

A curve is just a test every couple hours for 12 hours, or every 3 hours for 18 hours. You want to get an idea when the insulin onsets (starts to take effect) and when the nadir (lowest point) might be. Also what the nadir value is, as we decide how to change the dose based on how low the dose takes the cat. If the cat takes a dive low, you would test more frequently.

kitten68 likes this.
  57. kitten68

kitten68 Member

:cat::cat: great to hear! same.. lol. and nice about the shot areas.. will try to move around anyway in case tender, but great no problems w that for you.. they make it sound like its gonna be like elephant skin, all gnarled.. anyway... geez. will continue shot method w Lantus.. ok. :cat: trying hard to also be bevel down and just grabbing skin, not muscle.. and think the smaller gauge needles will be more comfortable too!

and sure does! sure does!..... o_O would probably run +$50.. on top of new meds and supplies. they've been kinda good w price, but is still something. and yeah.. especially with Lantus.. idk. :/ am fearful tho of dealing w a low sugar.. but it'll be fine. vet is also very close by.. but its true. he's way stressed at the vet. that is so true. and also it takes 5-7 days to build up in his system? sounds like no choice than starting doing it at home.. ill try and see.

ALSO tho, which is is also important if i do curve at home.. im finding.. that my ReliOn Classic meter.. is doing what feels like extreme readings, but im not sure if they are. two or three times now.. had a reading of like 284.. did another.. 238 (!).. then had to do 2 more to verify. o_O
    and today..... was like 255.. did another, was like 228....... these numbers can't possibly be close can they if you might know? (understand there's a margin of error..) im burning through strips!!! or, is could it be the strips?.... terrible..... i tested my ReliOn and felt like it was giving good readings but now im like.. trash, buy/request another???....... :/

58. kitten68

kitten68 Member

TYSM for this.. im like.. !!!!!!!.... will be noting it. :cat::confused: GREAT to know. geez! glad its seemingly ok then.. thanks for that.. i wasn't sure how to apply things. (if it was 20% or 20 points..o_O) i see.. ahh ok. 200-299.. ok. yesss... under 100, more important.. i was about to smash this meter. and i always do a new poke for each strip.. usually cause he doesn't sit still long enough for me to get two from the same drop.. :/ or he shakes his ear.. so different drops. which also accounts for the difference in readings i guess? sometimes tho the readings are the same despite different sites. :cat:

ok, so for curve.. would get his first shot.. then testing every 2-3 hrs, for 12 hrs? :) right.. onset.. nadir.. duration is mostly 11-12 hrs right on Lantus, tho it could maybe vary? (i still need to read stuff (the sticky pages).. so much going on rn tho trying to juggle it all lol.. trying trying doing :woot:o_O) also, he eats small meals frequently, every 2-3 hours sometimes depending on his sugars.. cause hes going hungry right. is this ok w Lantus?.. it's been ok w the Vetsulin.. vet says is ok. and told here its ok too. :cat:.. what can u do. (of course should get better when medicine is helping more..)

59. Diane Tyler's Mom

@kitten68
    When you read all the yellow stickys about Lantus you want to especially read about the 2 dosing methods and which one you want to follow.
    Each one will tell you when an increase or decrease is needed
    One is called TR and the other SLGS
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/
    Please read about them
    About doing a curve
    I don't know what your shooting times are to test and give insulin
    Let's say you give insulin at 8 AM
    So
    8 AM you gave insulin
    10 AM you test again
    12 noon you test again
    2 PM you test again
    4 PM test again
    6 PM test again
    8 PM which will be PMPS test
    This is for a 12 hour curve

If you do an 18 hour curve you would then test every 3 hours until you get to the PMPS test
    @kitten68

I suggest until you are ready to start lantus just read all the yellow stickys about Lantus :cat:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-levemir-biosimilars.9/

kitten68 likes this.
  60. kitten68

kitten68 Member

tysm diane!!! :cat::cat: ok. (will follow this when do.. he gets things between 7-8 am atm. trying to do all my reading. picking up the Lantus tmw morning.. so its here. :cat:.. so will see from there (some things going on right now too time sensitive so having to balance that too, but :D:D:D) )

ooh! btw my fridge is looking on the middle shelf, by the door, near the eggs, haha, to be averaging 30/32-34/36.. wut u think? :woot:
    gonna go check it now.. it was around 32/34 checked last..

61. Don Degludec

Don Degludec Member

My bad. I associated concentration with strength due to the direct correlation. Doesn't help that certain studies use the terms interchangeably, too?! o_O
    Since insulin isn't mixed in an external/added solution - apart from the suspension they come in [I know some of them can be mixed further, I'm not talking about those], then isn't concentration = strength?
    I'm genuinely curious, because I feel really confused about this now, especially since the more studies I look up, the more I see how majority of them refer to the unit/ml as strength.
    [Sorry kitten for hijacking your thread with my questions.]

Last edited: May 19, 2024
  62. kitten68

kitten68 Member

well, Pudge seems to have some constipation idk...... stools are hard and a bit crumbly, also seeing a little blood and like idk what looks like mucus or a big worm (?????).. :( :( :( possibly from strain, of course could be other things, hopefully not .. does Vetsulin possibly cause this? or just the diabetes in general? just what we need...... aside from seeing/talking to vet.. any suggestions?.. appreciate it a lot. (recalled a previous vet say 1/8 tsp Miralax unflavored to food 1-2 times/day would help..) he is regular, tho. everyday/by next.. and doesn't protest or cry or anything when going.. smh. :blackeye::blackeye::confused:

63. Wendy&Neko

Try adding a little water to his food, if not doing that already. Miralax pulls water into the stool, meaning he needs more fluid input. Miralax is dose to effect. You can also try a prebiotic like pure pumpkin or psyllium husk fibre. More info here:https://www.felineconstipation.org/

kitten68 likes this.
  64. kitten68

kitten68 Member

will add more water; he's also drinking a lot obv.. :) :( have not used Miralax yet.. was just suggested by previous vet years ago. will see.. ty :) :(

65. kitten68

kitten68 Member

its like one thing and another and another.. and now... his testing ear seems to be bothering him!!!! I tested him just now, and he scratched his ear w his foot and whined and looks a little waxy and dirty.. omgggg. have I given him an ear infection, or did he pick up something? now I gotta go to the vet.. the other side got clipped pretty big (horrid.. what they do here to identify neutered..) I tried getting blood there, no luck.. I feel like this is my fault. I always clean my hands, but do tug a little on the ear.. its also been getting poked a lot. maybe too poke happy. always use a cotton pad but not sure if that did it.. maybe too far in the ear.. he did go outside for a short time and stayed close to home, but not sure if that it.. (won't be letting him out for a while..) I am assuming the high sugars are not doing great for his immune system.. I was a little late w his flea/mite treatment but he did get it, and I waited a day before letting him have some air.. this whole things sucks! I don't understand. :banghead::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:

he needs to be tested for treatment. what.a.mess!!!

..... im going to go get the Lantus now.. just idk what. is this all worth it?.. he'll be 16 next month.. of course to me it is, but im not one to entertain suffering either.. (and its just him and me.. love him sm, and know vice versa... he's truly kept me going thru tough times) guys idk.. its really challenging here. and so many issues.. im trying to deal w the cost, whatever he needs, but oh boy... and he's being fussed w sm already.. I really don't know. :( terrible.

SIGH.

66. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Take a look at Gabby's spreadsheet. I tested a lot. Gabby never got an ear infection. If humans got an ear infection every time we handled our ear (let alone had an itch) we'd all be inhaling antibiotics due to an ear infection. I suspect that if Pudge had an ear infection it's a chance occurrence.

Also, there is a 20% (not 20 point) margin for error with any test. If you do the math, even though it may seem like there's a big difference between two tests, they are really pretty much the same based on what you posted.

kitten68 likes this.
  67. kitten68

kitten68 Member

well guys.. at Walmart pharmacy trying to fill for 5 pens but theyre saying the coupon is only good for month supply and 5 pens is over that for a cat so coupon won’t work, they tried calling and said same.. because they have to put a dose.. and cat won’t use 5 pens in a month.. so can only get 1 pen at $21 bucks each time.. do have lots of refills.. and can use coupon anytime.. guess stuck w this atm. If anyone has any ideas….

68. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Try a different pharmacy.

There aren't a lot of adults who go through 5 pens in a month unless they are on a very large dose. Just say it's for your child and your insurance doesn't cover your child.

To be honest, roughly $100 isn't an awful price to pay for insulin that could last more than a year if you're buying one pen at a time.

69. kitten68

kitten68 Member

i dont think so either considering.. $20 bucks aint bad. and will last longer than a month right.. could try another pharmacy.. but want to pick up SOMETHING today.. think could do this? have some at least for now.. what do you think??

and is what theyre saying.. could continue using coupon each time. will see when i refill.. but think should be cool.

and well its written on a veterinary script, has his name.. they know its for a pet. :/

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

70. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

A pen would last 2 - 3 months for me.

71. Wendy&Neko

One of our members, whose cat became diabetic at age 16, went into remission, and passed away recently at age 24. :( We have numerous stories of kitties in their 20's and diabetic. Once you get over the admittedly steep learning curve, it will become a lot easier for you.

72. kitten68

kitten68 Member

tysm for this.. appreciate that. :) makes a ton of sense. that's why I was so confused on it! y'know, doing my best.. and just was like omg no no more rn.. EVER.. lol *cries and i can say rn his ear seems actually fine! YAY did a test in afternoon and he wasn't too bothered; might be the fact that he's getting poked too much.. will be reducing the pokes during testing. and now I know more about the values and ranges, definitely will try not to.. also using up all my strips. woof! had to buy more while I was there..

so, got the meds, and got the syringes.. supplies ready! :cat: checked the syringes.. very cool. see the little markings.. part of me needs to re-read tho on how to dose.. feel I have it.. but still. will be looking through the threads again.. :cat:

and yes, maybe will but for now.. I just bought it :/ and it'll last quite a bit, right? need to finish my reading on it.. but got some in the fridge. YAY..

also, w Lantus there isn't much wiggle room in terms of time right? (15 minutes before, 15 after, if moving the time? like, got shot at 8:15, earliest is 8:00.. latest suggested is 8:30?..) on time, and consistent.. (a little nervous about talking w the vet about curve, but its also gonna be money for something that won't necessarily be accurate.. oh well. and will do curve when he's in office.. just in case. think its better tho, too. :))

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) :cat:

73. kitten68

kitten68 Member

and tysm for telling me that... its really heartwarming. ok.. :cat::cat::cat:.. yeah im just tired and trying to hold things here.. thanks for mentioning.. will keep this in mind. it worried me for sure.. and Miralax was just suggested to me. may or may not use.. have also heard about psyllium husk. not sure why he constipated.. tho did hear high sugar can do that.. :(

@Wendy&Neko

74. Wendy&Neko

High sugar means they pee more, get more dehydrated. The kidneys are working harder to remove excess sugar. Poop needs water to move. Miralax is used by quite a few people.

kitten68 likes this.
  75. kitten68

kitten68 Member

I see that's the way.. yes. :( will be adding more water and keeping in mind.. okay so use it then?.. :)

76. Don Degludec

Don Degludec Member

Psyllium is fiber, it bulks the poo's volume, so they need to drink more, or things could go the other way and constipate them more.
    Miralax pulls water to the colon too.

You could always try him to lick 1-2ml [approx. ½ tsp] coconut or olive oil if you have them to hand. They tend to love both, mine looks at them as a treat. If he has cholesterol issues, go for olive oil.
    Cheaper and more natural, thus also healthier than laxatives and works super quick. Mister just gave me a huge stinker, mere 3 hrs after licking up his olive oil treat.

kitten68 likes this.
  77. kitten68

kitten68 Member

right.. tysm! :) i have actually been wanting to make him some meat/bone broth and was wondering if I could use a little olive oil in the pan.. to sear a little? haha.. not sure if needed, or should just add water and boil.. but ty!! :)

thing is, he goes, just poops seem dry.. bit hard. :( can maybe add some olive oil to his food?? :cat: will think on these things..

78. kitten68

kitten68 Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:hi everyone :cat: well.. thinking of changing this week to Lantus if can try doing so.. was thinkingg maybe tmw. BUT do have some questions if anyone can maybe give an idea.. not sure if right time but of course wanting to do so as soon as possible..:

I am trying to do so on a day where I can be home and vet is also open.. will only be home all day tmw this week (aside from weekend, which I like to avoid anyway in case its sideways..).. also doing my best to be as informed as possible too but so much is going on rn that im trying to juggle so many things.. im thinking next week might be a better time. :( WILL be increasing his dosage tho tonite.. (2/2 both AM/PM..) cuz its definitely time. moving to next week also gives me more time to prepare and read.. I want so BADLY to start tho on that, the Lantus.. but I don't know if too much is going on rn.. to do so. :( stuff is popping up this week.. its been crazy. also too, of course w life it isn't feasible to be home all the time.. is one day able to supervise when he's starting it enough? maybe then can start tmw.. lmk if anyone has an idea. :confused:

AS WELL, it ok to change/up the dose on Vetsulin tonite, and then just start Lantus tmw?.. or should wait or something? I don't know if this matters..

if start next week, will do so Monday/Tuesday. if start this week, lookin like tmw.. (if can read everything.. ugh)..

THANK.U.SO.MUCH.

@Diane Tyler's Mom @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Wendy&Neko @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Suzanne & Darcy @Bandit's Mom :cat:

:::::UPDATE: posted about starting tmw above.. but thats a no go now. just found out doc wont be in town lol (memorial weekend imagine..) last day tmw, back in Tue.. so gonna have to be next week.. that solves that i guess.. :rolleyes:o_O:::::

Last edited: May 21, 2024
  79. Don Degludec

Don Degludec Member

Mister would try, give me a single dry, hard nugget, and just continue being restless.
    Then on his post-oil produce, you can clearly see that was the thing that helped move things along. You'd see a single hard nugget, followed by a sticky-stinky log, usually lighter in colour due to it being "fatty" [oily].

Mine doesn't like it being mixed with his food. He just licks it straight up from the bowl, like there's no tomorrow.
    Aside from this, I also always mix a tsp or so water into every meals he has, but you're already doing that, so that's good.

Honestly, for us, this was the only thing that helped. No laxatives, no psyllium, no probiotics, nothing. Only the old-school, holistic oil approach.
    Nowadays I only make him have it sparingly though, as and when he needs it, but then again, with a fairly regulated BG his bowel[movement]s became regular too, so I know when to expect his daily treasure, and when to worry when there is no gold to dig for in the litter.

kitten68 likes this.
  80. kitten68

kitten68 Member

lol oh boy but thank you much.. hm. will keep this in mind. and just started adding water :/ but am doing so now. :) ill see how things go.. might you have an opinion on my boiling/making him some turkey meat, putting a little olive oil in the pan prior, or can just put meat/bones in water and boiling.. i figure some broth/bone broth might be good for him too? :) (vet was unmoved when i asked.....)

81. kitten68

kitten68 Member

:banghead: and just in case, have to start Lantus next week.. cause the damn vet is out of town until then. trying to avoid an emergency.. but part of me is hurting enough for him to the point i might just start him on the weekend.. idk. but as of rn.. nothing until next week. will try to keep reading stickies..

82. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Can you start a new thread since you're beginning to use Lantus? This thread is a bit long.

83. kitten68

kitten68 Member

84. kitten68

kitten68 Member

hello :) well.. thought the vial was going off but Vetsulin seems ok so far.. did bring things down. :) ugh. thing is not seeing numbers past low 200s.. like have been.. but changing soon anyway so idk.