TYLER'S JOURNEY #4

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Jul 1, 2019.

1. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes you should test him again at 9pm. They can throw us surprises and we don't want to be making decisions on info 2 hours old. BG can change in an hour.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom ok just tested him at 9:00 pm as usual
    SUNDAY 7-7-19
    PMPS - 147 what do you think, what did you think of his numbers this morning? I'm still going to check in with you at 9:00 am tomorrow since I have the doctor's appointment, to let you know what his AMPS is, I know you said we can be conservative since I won't be here to test him @+2 or maybe even +3 this gyno I go to takes forever, usually I get a first appointment so I don't have to wait, but not this time @MrWorfMen's Mom

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  3. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'd try a skinny 0.5u tonight (0.25 didn't do much of anything yesterday). Today's numbers are pretty good. Tyler is staying under renal threshold (spilling sugar in urine) so that's really good. I'll check in around 9am.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

@MrWorfMen's Mom ok thanks ,will talk to you in the am

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  5. MrWorfMen's Mom

One thing you could do is to freeze a serving of food for Tyler for tomorrow. You can leave it out before you leave and he can eat it when it melts unless you have an auto feeder.

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

That's not the problem, I test him at 9:00 am, then feed him, by the time he finishes it's close to 9:30 am, then I give him his Insulin at around 10.00 am. It's only the +2 to re test him I wouldn't be here for or even the +3 maybe to feed him a little FF in case he drops really low or fast. That's why I just want you to see what his AMPS is so I can be conservative @MrWorfMen's Mom besides that he's a real pain in the butt, he would never eat it like that, I have tried just taking it out of the can, mush it up and he just walks away, I have to add water and mush it up with my finger to get it to where he likes it, he's a weirdo lol but thanks for the suggestion @MrWorfMen's Mom

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

@MrWorfMen's Mom Tested Tyler
    SUNDAY 7-7-19
    PMPS - 147. Shot skinny 0.5 u
    +2 - 117 fed him FF
    +5- 114 fed him
    +7+ 140
    Tomorrow night right after I test Tyler's PMPS at 9:00 pm I will start a new thread , this one is getting long, of course it will be TYLER'S JOURNEY #5, be on the look out @MrWorfMen's Mom

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok so mix up a little extra food to leave down before you leave so he gets that little extra he's used to even if he does eat it early and for today's cycle, give him 0.25u to stay on the conservative side since you don't know for sure when you will be back home. Dr.'s offices can be so unpredictable. :)

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Morning Linda, will do that with the food, and the shot. I will start a new thread for tonight, this one is getting long, of course it will be TYLER'S JOURNEY #5, so be on the look out. One more thing what does it mean in #103 @MrWorfMen's Mom

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

Diabetics get rid of excess glucose through their urine and that is hard on the kidneys. Tyler's BG is running low enough he is NOT spilling sugar into his urine and that excellent.

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ok thanks for explaining, I will start the new thread tonight right after I test Tyler, I am so darn tired, really went to sleep late, or I should say went to sleep early am. Lol

13. MrWorfMen's Mom

I take it you stayed up later to test after that 114. When that happens, give him some medium carb food if you are worried and get some rest. Tyler seems to always drop early and then surf. The 117 and 114 last night are essentially the same reading so he wasn't dropping such that he needed serious monitoring.

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

How did you guess lol, Surfing , I'll make him surf right out the door lol, I have a good sense of humor, lol I would never trade Tyler in lol. Question, may be dumb but, what BG are we looking for @+2? I guess it depends on his AMPS or PMPS and how much insulin is given. So across the board we eventually want to see low blues and dark greens. @MrWorfMen's Mom

15. MrWorfMen's Mom

His +2 readings are fine BUT ideally he would maintain those lower readings a bit longer. It's tough with Vetsulin because it does tend to act quickly which is why I suggested trying backing up the food a bit to slow down the drop and perhaps extend the lower BG a bit longer. Tyler doesn't drop huge amounts and then surfs which is great but there is a little room for improvement. You're doing super and Tyler is in good shape BG wise.

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ok I understand, I'm going to feed him at +1 tonight and see what happens and then test at +3 like you suggested.The only thing I think I had mentioned once is that before he got diabetes he weighed 23 lbs, only fed dry food then. Then took him to the vet when I saw something was wrong expecting him to weigh in at 23 lbs, to my surprise he was 18 lbs, I thought he looked thinner. The vet wanted to shoot for 16 lbs for a start, he is a big cat. So started the FF , he only eats about a can a day, maybe a can and a half, one can is 99 calories . He's back up to 23 lbs, I weigh him at home. Told my vet, his thyroid is good, he's just a lazy blob. Even when his back legs were good he was still lazy lol. I'm trying to play with him more to move around, vet says he's probably just not burning any calories. I wish I can get him to lose some weight @MrWorfMen's Mom

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    MONDAY 7-8-19
    AMPS -142 0.25 u. fed him a little FF at 11.00 am before I left because had a doctor's appointment and wouldn't be here to check him @+2
    +3 -108
    +6 - 152 most likely it's this high is because I fed him FF at 3:15 pm and the +6 was done at 4:00 pm will test next at his PMPS @MrWorfMen's Mom