TYLER'S JOURNEY #7

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom morning Linda this was a surprise he was 231
    MONDAY 8-5-19
    AMPS - 231 going with 0.75 skinny

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm guessing your little monkey went lower last night than you are aware of causing a bit of a bounce this AM. He's popped the odd yellow into the mix before and then come back down so no worries. Take it one day at a time.

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hey Linda, I was so tired last night that I only did the one test, the 110 @+2 I fed him some FF Pate and that was it. So you think he might have gone lower after +2? @MrWorfMen's Mom

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'm just guessing given the higher pre-shot this morning. I could be totally wrong. It's one of those mysteries that will remain a mystery. All you can do is see what happens going forward. You need your sleep and can't stay up all night every night nor can you test every hour on the hour 24 hours a day. There will always be some unknowns that cause a lot of head scratching.

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ok got it, I think too much lol, enjoy your day if you sit by the pond with Myster @MrWorfMen's Mom

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'm moving the conversation about the Vetsulin over here. Well at $47.00 for the vial, you are better off buying the vial. They are charging about $20.00 per pen so the cost is considerably more than your vial cost. Not so here. Vial is $34.00 and 10 pen cartridges are $90 but that is 2.5 times as much insulin so a bit more expensive but still less waste which would more than make up for the price difference here. Not so on your side of the border! Gees, they really are taking you guys to the cleaners on drugs!

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

@MrWorfMen's Mom Ok thanks for moving it here, Maybe I should buy a new bottle when I take Perry to the vet this Thursday for his blood work. I looked at the vial and I don't see any white things floating around in it. So If I buy a new one but don't use it and just keep it in the refrigerator it will be considered not opened yet until I first draw from it, is this correct? And yes the price of any drugs is ski high here. Wouldn't I see Tyler's BG starting to get high and stay high through the cycles if it was loosing it's effectiveness @MrWorfMen's Mom I never even heard of pens to be honest with you, was just curious, I just went online and was wondering how these work, something about turning the dial, do you need different syringes for the pens, or can the ones I use be used. Not that I'm going to buy them, but was just curious how they work @MrWorfMen's Mom

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

10. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes if you buy a new vial but don't pierce it, it will stay just fine in the fridge until the expiry on the box/vial.
    I really think you would see more of a change in numbers than you have. BG is not static and all sorts of things can have an effect on BG. Tyler's numbers haven't suddenly gone through the roof or even close. He's doing wonderfully. I don't think there is anything wrong with your insulin but having a back up available is not a bad idea.
    The pens can be used without syringes (pen needles) but the pen only allows dose changes of 0.5u. The dial is used to select the dose you want to give. You can also take the cap off the pen and use it basically as you do the vial with a syringe but without injecting air into it. Obviously not a good option in the US. BUMMER!

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ok thanks Linda, I think I will definitely buy one this Thursday to have on hand. When I think back to the beginning when the vet had Tyler up to 6 units and I was following those instructions they gave me I was going through vials quickly. Now when I look at it I say to myself wow do I have so much left. Ok ready to give Tyler his shot. Did you go outside today with Myster at all @MrWorfMen's Mom

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

@MrWorfMen's Mom morning Linda had to test early because I have to leave the house with Ashley because they will be mowing the lawn around 8:30 so have to leave because of the noise for Ashley , this is such a pain in the neck with this disease.
    So I will shoot at 8:30. He finished eating at 7:40 am
    He did pretty good last night we had a green and one low blue
    AMPS - 193 going with skinny 0.75 @MrWorfMen's Mom
    Should be ok shooting at 8:30? I usually shoot around 9:15 am

13. MrWorfMen's Mom

You're fine to shoot early. He did have a nice cycle last night. :D

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  14. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ok thanks, I'm hoping those pre shots will come down again, yes a nice cycle, well he better start peddling today on his cycle lol peddling on his bicycle lol , I'm so nerdy lol @MrWorfMen's Mom

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

@MrWorfMen's Mom I will start another thread tonight for Tyler
    TYLER'S JOURNEY #8 be on the look out