01/05 Boomer AMBG 104, a bit more info from Dr Larry

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning!
    AMBG 104

Boomer spent the night with us again on the cushy duvet on the end of our bed. He got up several times to use the litter. Before we went to bed I told him to call me if he needed help eating. And he did...twice. But he eats if I hold the plate for him so I don't mind.

In an effort to keep him in our bedroom at night so that I could check on him easily, I had also made him up a cushy bed on the bench he used to sleep on each night....a pillow with one of my hoodies on it....and he actually did try it out this morning for a while but as soon as DH opened the spare bedroom door he jumped down and headed for that bed.

I've emailed Dr Larry to see if there's anything we can do about the fluid that is accumulating...he's very "wide" and it's affecting his walk, how he lays, and his ability to clean himself.

On the agenda today.....well I'm waiting to see if the predicted sun is going to come out because last time it was predicted it didn't:rolleyes:

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I hope the sun comes out for you this morning - and that you get to go out and connect with nature and get some good photos.

Praying for little Boomer - I hope Dr. Larry has some recommendation for the ascites. Poor thing...

Hugs for you for being such a kind and loving mama bean. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  3. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

I hope that the ascites can be drained without causing Boomer any pain.

4. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

I hope Dr. L. gets back to you soon with a good solution for the fluids in Boomer's tummy. :(
    Sending you sunshine and tons of these :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers to DH, u and Boomer, come on dr Larry call back
    Keep us updated today Judy

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Maybe Lasix for the fliuid?

Boomer feel better little guy. Enjoy your soft cushy bed

7. Judy and Boomer

Is Lasix a diuretic? I know he looked into diuretics already and they won't work.

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Lasix is a diuretic. :bighug:

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Fingers toes and paws crossed that Dr. Larry has some ideas to help Boomer with the fluid. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: for you and mini-graphics-cats-915307.gif for Boomer.

10. Judy and Boomer

Ok this is the info I just received from Dr Larry:

The likeliest reason Boomer's belly is hard is because the abdomen is full of fluid.

There are really two options. One is to try furosemide, a medication we use to draw water out of places it's not supposed to be (like the abdomen) and into the blood stream. The problem with furosemide in Boomer's case is that it's not considered effective for ascites (fluid buildup in the abdomen) that's due to neoplasia. We can try it but there's no guarantee of success.

The other option is abdominocentesis (sucking out fluid from the abdominal space with a needle). I'm willing to try this on Boomer to see if it gives him relief.

I've responded to his email with some questions.

Krystina & Nelli and Sonia & Leo like this.
  11. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I wonder if you had the fluid drained (abdominocentesis) and started the Lasix, if it might help keep slow the build up of fluid. I certainly think it's worth a try to keep Boomer as comfortable as possible.

12. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Hiya Judy! Congratulations on Boomer's 4th OTJ!! Although that joy is tempered by hearing that Boomer isn't feeling so hot lately. I hope Dr. Larry can help get that fluid cleared to make Boomer more comfortable. Sending vines. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Furosemide is Lasix.

I'm mentioning the following with the caveat that this information is mostly relevant to heart failure where fluid buildup is also an issue. Furosemide tablets are not the greatest at getting rid of abdominal fluid build up in humans. You might talk to Dr. Larry about the possibility of an injection. The injections do better with abdominal fullness. There is also a stronger calcium channel blocker, torsemide that has also been used for heart failure in humans and cats.

Please keep in mind that using diuretics is also a balancing act in that diuretics can be hard on the kidneys.

14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug: And more prayers ... I know how much the Lord loves kitties ❤️

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I hope you find some solution for the fluids. I had civvie Theo drained, 150 ml!, and it was all back a couple days later. @Doodles & Karen used injectable Lasix for a while.

Vines for Boomer for this to be one of his good days. :bighug::bighug:

17. Judy and Boomer

Dr Larry already looked into a diuretic and it won't work for this type of fluid

18. Judy and Boomer

Yes, that's what I'm afraid is going to happen

19. Judy and Boomer

Thanks everyone! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    To summarize.....
    Lasix = Furosemide = diuretic
    Diuretics are not known to help this kind of fluid however Dr Larry has said we could try it.
    Diuretics can be hard on the kidneys.

I did have some questions for Dr Larry and am waiting for response.

Sonia & Leo and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I think it’s worth trying the draining of the fluid. Vines to Boomer.

21. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

22. Judy and Boomer

A bit more info from Dr Larry:
    If the furosemide were to work we should notice it within a few hours.
    The abdominocentesis costs about $80 (I was expecting quite a bit more) and no sedation is required.

So it looks like we have a couple of options; I've asked Dr Larry for his recommendation and DH and I will talk about it.

I really appreciate all the advice/information/suggestions!!!!!!

23. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I wish that the fluid could be sucked out with belly kisses. We would all make the trip just kiss that beautiful belly. :kiss::kiss::kiss:

24. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Vines, hugs, and prayers from us!!!

Just a thought....you might be able to test the fluid to see what kind of cancer it is. I know it's another one of those longshot things, but it may be something that is treatable, even if it's widespread, and if it is treatable and responds to treatment, the fluids could resolve.

I hope Boomer has otherwise had a great day!

25. Judy and Boomer

That was my thought and was going to be my next question to Dr Larry!

26. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Judy, Forrest had that cyst around his one kidney. Every 3 months we would have to have the fluid out of it drained with the help of a US. It gave him a lot of relief until it filled again. It was about 300 bucks each time! I know that Forrest’s issue was different than what Boomer is going through but just wanted to say that Forrest showed no pain during the procedure at all.

Hugs! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Judy and Boomer and Sonia & Leo like this.
  27. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

If Boomer were my kitty and going to the vet wasn't too stressful, I'd be leaning towards draining the fluid too, even if it were temporary it would provide some sort of relief.

I know this is tough, Judy. I only wish for everyday to be a good day for you, Boomer, and family.

28. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member