? 01/06 JELLY BELLY PMBG ONLY 106 NS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by RochellenJelly, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

plese help supposed to shoot .75 @ 8 am no food given please advise

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

if you have plenty of strips, and are home to monitor....

this would be a good day to shoot.

3. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

No way I had pj party last night and I am exhausted and his ears are all bruised up ..... again I need to monitor and how often ? This poor baby

4. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

okay.
    no problem.

here is yesterday

what do you want to shoot? He has good momentum going.

5. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

you could go with 0.50 u and get a +2 ....

RochellenJelly likes this.
  6. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

That I can do I I just can't have him crash and I can't do every hour he's ears and temper won't have it :(

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Congratulations on getting through that, Rochelle! I'm sorry you had a PJ party last night but those numbers are fantastic! :D Did you have to feed high carb food to keep him from going too low?

A more experienced Lantus user would give the same dose of 0.75 u this AM. If you're too frightened to do that you could try 0.5 u. When in doubt, always test at +2.

Waiting for more input.

8. Kris & Teasel

No need to do every hour unless he throws you a lime green and somehow I don't think he will.
    I'll be around for the next 2 hours or so to check in.

9. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Ok so go ahead with low carb food and test him again for AMPS ? Then give a .75 and BG at +2

10. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

He had a few temptations throughout but his normal fancy feast and a few temptations through the cycle

11. Kris & Teasel

Correction:
    • that 167 is your AMPS BG number
    • feed his usual breakfast
    • shoot 0.75 u if you feel up to it or go to 0.5 u if you cave at the last minute
    • test again at +2.
    Those Temptations are great to steer BG - carby little devils!

12. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

Yes. It's quite possible he will continue his surf. Blues are wonderful for him at this stage.....

13. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

What was the correction for my plan this am or did you mean correct ?

14. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Ok :) I can do this I am just so nervous of him getting to low what number do I want him to have ?

15. Kris & Teasel

Ignore - I accidentally hit "post" before my message was complete.

16. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

So I don't have to test right before 8 am for Amps ? The +12 was enough and then a +2?

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  17. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

any number above 50 is a safe number....

if he gets in the 70's or lower, you just give him teaspoons of his canned food. ( not necessarily hi or med carb)
    it encourages him to surf. I'd use that as first choice over the temptations.

see what the +2 is to determine next test time....

it would be good to have the amps, but if he's feeling aggravated ...

18. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi! I just have to say hello... hugs to you the past 2 days. I just read about the last 2 days and you did a wonderful job with JB! Good luck today!!

19. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

have you found any diabetic friendly treats? lots of freeze dried options out there.... even cheese would be better than the temptations.
    But if that's his favorite, we'll work with it. It's just metabolized differently and less predictable.

20. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

He's picky guy and has stopped eating all together in past and these he will take .... think he was raised on bad kibble and has addiction lol

21. Kris & Teasel

The hope is that he'll stay in blues for a bit, drop gently into a dark green or two and slowly rise back to blues by the end of the cycle - just like last night's.
    IMPORTANT! Don't forget Marje's plan of feeding a little LC snack at +1/ +2/ +3. A teaspoon or two of LC wet food should be enough, no Temptations.

Here's your list for after his AM shot today:
    1. at +1 feed about a teaspoon of LC regular food
    2. at +2 test BG first and then give another teaspoon of LC food
    3. post BG here for advice
    4. at +3 give another teaspoon of LC food
    5. at +4 test BG again - no more LC
    6. post +4 BG number here for advice.

22. Kris & Teasel

Save these for boosting him if his BG gets too close to 50.

23. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

going for a walk, will check back on you

24. Kris & Teasel

Next time you're at a drugstore get him some Polysporin ointment with pain relief to use on his ears. How often is up to you. It can be after each test or at the end of the day. The occasional kitty reacts to it with itchy, red ears but most are fine.

25. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

That's only time he gets them and he's picky about fancy feast but I researched the list by Lisa Picked all low carb flavours

26. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Already did last night and using it

27. Kris & Teasel

I actually feed Teasel Friskies pate versions more than Fancy Feast. Some people shudder at the idea of that but I'm fine with it. I also choose to buy canned prescription low carb food (Purina ProPlan DM pate) from my vet that I mix the Friskies in with. Teasel's non-diabetic brother who was a little overweight also eats that prescription food and it's been great for his weight loss.

28. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

He was on that purina om weight management, but I cannot afford that I am a student and single mom of three and I have 2 dogs and 2 other cats on top of jelly bean and that's why replaced it with fancy feast
    e was

29. Kris & Teasel

There's no need to buy prescription food, Rochelle. In fact, if you find that those little Fancy Feast cans get too pricey for you, many of us feed Friskies pates. I think you're in Canada, right? Where I am in Ottawa, you can buy Friskies at Canadian Tire for 60 cents a can. I think there are a few President's Choice types that are good to feed and economical too.

30. Mandy & Rex (GA)

I found Friskies pates come in 13 oz cans for only $1 at Dollar General/Dollar Tree or $1.08 at Walmart. I buy those instead of the 5.5 oz cans because it's cheaper per ounce and I cannot afford more expensive food because I have 4 cats.

31. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Can I find them on that food lists because yes a good food that I can afford be great

32. Kris & Teasel

33. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I will have to look into this and the carb count and see what's most cost effective I am paying just at 12$ for 24 cans of fancy feast and he eatable two and a half a day almost

34. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

35. Kris & Teasel

Friskies are on Dr. Lisa's list if you look around in it.

36. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Yes
    I only printed out the fancy feast ones but I'll go look at Friskies to

37. Kris & Teasel

38. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Yes I printed it out and have it in his files that I have to make sure that I follow the right low-carb ones from fancy feast

39. Kris & Teasel

They might be a little higher in carbs but it doesn't make any difference to Teasel. It can depend on how carb sensitive JB is.

40. Kris & Teasel

If you have a minute, could you update your SS? If that BG of 167 was at +12 it should go in the AMPS box. As you do tests this morning, post results right away because your helpers will want to see what's going on when they read your posts. It's also important to put a note in the right hand comments section of the SS about the snacks, when you gave them, what food they were and how much you gave. This is important for future reference.

41. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

updated i think ?? is it right?

42. Mandy & Rex (GA)

I see 167 in both +11 and AMPS boxes. Then in your remarks section, you said AMPS was higher so you gave .75 units. I'm a little confused.

43. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I don't know how to fix the spreadsheet I can't that's the best I can do I'll have to wait to Marje comes online. Sorry

44. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

His sugars were 167 at + 12 that was the Amps and then I was told to put it down as that and then at 8 am I did .75 insulin and his normal food and will feed curve at +1 +2 +3

45. Kris & Teasel

You said somewhere in this thread that the 167 was a +12 test. Let's just assume that's correct. If you click on the box where you first entered it on the far right hand side of your SS the box should get a blue outline around it with a tiny blue square in the lower right corner. When you see that just hit "delete" on your keyboard.

The 167 needs to stay in the AMPS box to show that was the number you made the dose decision with. Make sense?

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  46. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies, power is back on :)

Great job shooting the full dose this morning!! You Rock.:cool::D
    Lovely, if a bit tiring cycle last night, you handled it beautifully.
    I think starting with the +2 (10am test is a great plan), then take it from there, we'll need to follow his lead.

With the regards to the ears, over here in Europe we cant get the neosporin with pain relief, if you look at BFG ss you'll see I tested a lot :)rolleyes: I was a bit paranoid), anyways, George's ears looked great, I followed some advice from here on the board which was to use a cold wet cottonpad and applied firm gentle pressure on his ears after poking (I used to count slowly to 10) Here's an informative post that Marje wrote on this topic
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/testing-and-shooting-tips.85113/#post-1377750

The +12 is the PS, if you got that 167 at +12(8amish) then that was amps, if you got the 167 at around 7amish, that would be +11
    Do you think it might help you to make a note of what time you actually shoot? I used to note it in the units column, others make a separate column for shot time. I used to shoot within a half hour window, give or take, so recording when I actually shot helped me keep better track of where I was in the cycle, especially if I was tired (which after long pj nites I was) and couldn't remember if I'd shot at quarter to 7 or quarter after 7:oops:

not sure if the ingredients are the same in us/Canada as in Europe, I haven't done a carb calc, but with the first two listed ingredients being corn meal, and wheat, I would guess that's HC, George was also on a weight control diet from Hills, when he was diagnosed with Diabetes, when I did the carb calc on that in was through the roof:eek:. No wonder his BG was in the reds!
    So I wouldn't worry about not being able to have him on the Rx food, IMHO like George he's probably better off not being on it.

Come on JB keep up the good work.:cool:

47. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

48. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

i tested his sugars at 7 AM my time so I don't know if that's +12 hour +11 I'm confused I didn't test him again at eight I just went with the last one and Shaden .75 and I'm gonna post a plus to his blood glucose. And I'm going to feed the curve right now at 9 AM but I'm not gonna test and then I'm gonna test at 10 AM and feed the curve do I feed him before I tester after the blood glucose

49. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

And thank you so much for the encouragement and the good words and means a lot I'm trying my best this is crazy hard work kudos to all you guys who have gone through this before

50. Gill & George

The + hours are hours from last shot, so if you shot at 8pm last night then the 167 at 7am this morning was 11 hours later (hence the +11) 8am being the amps.

If you shot at 7pm last night then the 7am test would indeed be +12, and you would put it in the amps column, but as you actually shot at 8am then amps (had you got another reading) would actually have been 13 hours after last nights shot (+13).

What time did you shoot last night? I'm not 100% sure when I read through last nights thread.

51. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

He was shot at 8 PM last night but I messed up the one hour test last one and I text him at 9:22

52. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I don't know honestly guys I'm way too tired I can't figure out the spreadsheet I can't do it I'm just going to test his blood sugar's I don't understand this a.m. p.m. right now like my brains a mess it's like the second PJ party in like three days plus I was in the hospital I'm just I'm whooped

53. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Is this too much information for me under the circumstances and so tired

54. Gill & George

Don't worry, we can try figure it out later when you are feeling up to it. Don't fret, we've all been there with the sleep exhaustion.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    see you later for that +2 (10am) test.
    try and catch a nap

55. Kris & Teasel

Not to worry, Rochelle. It's not that important right now. Just follow that list I gave you. Your brain needs a rest. :)

56. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

updated spreed sheet and + 2 is 311 do i fed curve or whats next i am so lost and tired can i sleep? +6 ?

57. Kris & Teasel

So far it looks a lot like yesterday's curve even though there was confusion yesterday about AMPS.
    Here's what to do:
    1. give that snack now (if you haven't done so already)
    2. give it again at +3 so you're following Marje's plan but no test then
    3. go have a nap if you can
    4. test again at +6
    OK?

58. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Year he isn't into a snack and he's napping and so am I now too see you at +6 which is 2 pm my time

59. Kris & Teasel

Go ahead - you need a break. :)

60. Gill & George

I agree with the proposed plan above, but I might try for a +5 instead. He dropped so hard and fast yesterday, if it does pan out the same I would want to catch it a little earlier, gives you a bit more control of the curve.

But most of all try get a nap.

61. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Morning ladies! LINK TO YESTERDAY’S CONDO

Rochelle, you have done fantastic!!!! And you've had some great help. I'm so sorry that you had to be up so much but we learned some important things about Jelly:

--the Temptations work really well to help control his BG
    --feeding on a schedule last night helped to keep him flat
    --he is getting some really nice duration from this dose since he held off the bounce until after +12

I was really hoping he would just stay flat but it's a blessing in disguise for you both that he bounced.

I think (@Gill & George) Gill's point is important. He came back down yesterday fast so he is clearing bounces fast. I would agree it's better to test him at +5.

Is it possible to leave his food out for him or will the other cats eat it? Just thought he could have something to graze on while you sleep.

Once you have had some rest, we can discuss other minor things. Now off to slumberland

@rhiannon and shadow (GA) just a quick note....she's using Temptations, not as treats but to help control the lower BGs or the drops. He is not a big eater and can't be counted on to eat gravy/HC when she needs him to but he will eat the Temptations and they work nicely. Long ago, we had another member, Roni, who used them with Moonie and they worked like a charm.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  62. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Yes his food is out and he is only one in room hasn't been out in main house yet <Jelly hisses at the cats and dogs and gets ioset

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  63. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

tested +5 and it was 256

64. Marje and Gracie

Very good!!! Did you get some rest? Has Jelly eaten all his morning allotment of food? We don't want him to be hungry or lose weight if his weigh is stable. If he hasn't eaten all of his normal amount of LC food, it's ok to give him some now.

He hasn't come down much and I'd like to give his ears a break but he is clearing a bounce which means he will likely continue down and perhaps do another night similar to last night. But he's doing sooooooo much better!!!

Since we don't know when he took the steep dive yesterday, on one hand, I think testing at +7 is smart but OTOH, I'd sure like to give his little ears a break and let him go to +8. Of course, we could split the difference and test at +7.5.

What would you like to do, Rochelle?

I fixed his SS and also added a "time" column so you put the exact time you shot. That helps many members and I did it for a while as well with Gracie. Let me know if you don't like it.

65. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

He's not eaten rest warmed it up and put down again. He's still happy and lovey but I do feel bad about his ears and whatever you think is best to test at again

66. Marje and Gracie

Why don't you try to get a +7.5 just so that if he's dropping fast again, we can catch it.

67. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I am grocery shopping right now I thought he was ok till +10 ****

68. Marje and Gracie

No....so sorry.....I said no later than +8 :) I'd test him as soon as you get home if it's after 3:30 your time which is +7.5.

69. Marje and Gracie

Rochelle

After you test him and post, perhaps we could do a bit of housekeeping. Here's a schedule:

1. Test as soon as you get home and hopefully no later than +8; update SS; post on condo...not done
    2. Update condo subject line to bring it up to the current test. (You don't ever need to post the dose...we can look at the SS)....not done

The reason it is important to keep the condo subject line up-to-date is because there are several of us scanning the list of condos and sometimes we see something in the subject line that the caregiver might not realize is important (such as fastly dropping numbers). It just helps us prioritize who might need help first. Thank you!

70. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I don't know what a condo means

71. Marje and Gracie

It’s the same as a thread. In this forum, we call them “condos”. It’s just a funny, slang term we use. Possibly originated because cats hang out in condos and we do here, as well. Again....just a term that is specific to this forum. So your condo today is this thread.

72. Marje and Gracie

Have you tested yet? I haven’t seen an update or a BG on the SS.

73. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I'm not at home the grocery stores were crazy I'll be home at 5 PM my time which would be a +10 I think for a fast nine let me know if that's OK

74. Marje and Gracie

He was dropping when you left. He has shown he can drop fast and can dip down.

I don't really know where he will be by +9 or +10.

My goal has been to recommend testing times based on what will keep him safe and still allow you to nap or get things done as I understand you are a single mom with kids and other pets. I felt that a test no later than +8 was important but, having said that, you are the caregiver and so you have to make the decision.

75. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

we are home and tested and updated spreed sheet. he is currently 187 i needed to get out and get him food and more supplies (autofeeder) i also had to grocery shop with my limited time and i figured he was ok and not to low? I didnt mean to miss them but i am only one person

76. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I needed to get the supplies so when I start school monday i have everything for him ready and set up also hes mad about ears not thrilled and running and hiding when i come in room now.... i feel very bad but we tested now and i will and can stay home now what else can i or should i do? im sorry i am trying to balance it all out too

77. Gill & George

He's safe that was the concern, mostly because, how he responds to insulin is an unknown quantity, being new to all this.

If you need to go out, you could give him a LC snack now, and leave the next test till pmps.

78. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I know but I i'm only one person and I can't be here every hour to test him right now because I still have to get groceries and do other things
    I did all my errands and he's ok happy man and actually wanted snuggles this time so he can't be that mad I stocked on food and dehydrated chicken and will make him real chicken treats and make sure I know how to work auto feeder

I am home tonight so we need more tests ? How often ?! Poor guy I am a terrible lady :( hate poking him

79. Marje and Gracie

I am glad he's safe. I truly do understand...I danced this dance for 5-1/2 years and I know there are times that you must get out and take care of things especially when you are the only caregiver.

But I also know what cats can do on insulin and as @Gill & George said, we really are just getting the data to see how his cycles go.

I've seen more times than you can imagine, with my own baby and others, when the CG left for a few hours and kitty was in low 300s and they (and I) rushed around, got home a couple hours later, and kitty was in the 30s.

I don't want to scare or stress you because I know you have a full plate but I do want you to understand the realities so you can make decisions for your schedule around his testing. I'm hoping that as we get more data between now and school starting, that we will find he's a pretty stable guy.

I'll post in a few minutes on when you should test next. I'd really like to wait until PMPS but that might be a little too long. And I hate to do a test at +11 and PMPS when his ears are sore. So I'll be back soon.

Of course, you are learning and you know him best. What do you think about when to test him next? It's something you need to get a feel for.

Gill & George likes this.
  80. Gill & George

We do understand how incredibly difficult it is to juggle life and a FD kitty. We know you are doing the best you can.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Good plan on getting the autofeeder, it'll be useful when you start school.

Gone midnight for me here, was just checking in on you before I hit the sack. I'll look out for you in the morning.

I see @Marje and Gracie is back. I'll let you both decide on a strategy for tonight.
    Glad JB is wanting snuggles, there nothing sweeter than a snuggly kitty.

81. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

the vet was saying he was manageable on food but i am unsure of that
    I feel from what I have learned its a 12 hour cycle and after the + 6 he will be as low as he will go from morning shot, then as long as hes eating and i am feeding the curve hes been ok on .75 @ 8 so maybe a pmps and a +1 and + 4 in case i need to intervene?

82. Marje and Gracie

Ok...let's give it a try. You can always adjust, if need be.

It's great you are looking at the SS and coming up with a plan. We always say"know thy cat".

See you at PMPS.

83. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

does it sound right ? I was hoping to take kids for evening bike ride so i guess we will see at + 1 if thats possible

84. Marje and Gracie

Just remember that at +1, you might see a food spike so it is not always indicative of what the cycle will do. In other words, a higher +1 can give a false sense of security.

I'm off for a workout myself and will be back at his shot time.

85. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

ok then I will aim for a +2 and +4 so i can appease the kids and make sure hes not dropping.... should i set feeder to fed curve? +1 +2 +3?

86. Marje and Gracie

IMG_0622.GIF

The feeder setup will be great. Have you made sure he will use it? My Gracie took right to it but it freaks other cats out at first. I'd do some training sessions between now and then with some freeze dried treats,

87. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

ok well i will see what he thinks now and tdo PMPS and fed and shot i will be here for +1 so ill fed curve and if not back f0r +2 have sister do BG and light snack and I will be back for +3 if not (sister do snack if he does not like feeder) +4 for sure and will update sheets what about after + 4? if i were to guess + 6? and then if good not low +10?

88. Marje and Gracie

Just saw his PMPS. I think you understand the pros and cons.

Obviously, the pros include keeping him on track and giving him longer in better numbers. The cons are that you are most likely going to have a PJ party and he will need testing.

It's your call.

89. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

i cant do another pj party can i try nore food another hour? like another night and testing his ears kill us both i am sure

90. Marje and Gracie

You can't feed to bring him up to shoot.

You can stall and see if he comes up but often when they are clearing a bounce, they drop more.

91. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

He's also refusing to eat even his gravy food or the Temptations I think he stressed out and his ears are bothering him

92. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

He keeps going in hiding and he won't come out and he hasn't eaten any of the snacks or his supper from earlier

93. Marje and Gracie

What do you want to do?

94. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

I feel like he needs a break and if he doesn't eat I can't control the drop. He's impossible to syringe feed and I think too many blood tests honestly:(

95. Marje and Gracie

I get it....it's totally up to you. You can give a reduced dose but because of the depot, he could come back down at least the first half of the cycle.

I'm not trying to pressure you into shooting; I just want you to have the options.

If you feel you need to skip and give you both a rest, that's fine.

I'm going to be off the board for about 39 mins. I've got to go pick up my car from the maintenance place.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  96. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

We're going to take a break tonight because last time this happened he ended up in the vet for one week because we couldn't get him to eat after he was so stressed out and after I ran a curve....

97. Marje and Gracie

Okay. It will probably do you both good :)

Good you please just change the subject line to:
    6/1 Jelly PMBG 106

That way, no one thinks you need any additional help tonight.

Also....I would test him in a couple hours to be sure he's coming up. Just because you didn't give insulin doesn't mean the depot is not still in play.

Have a good rest.

98. Gill & George

Hope you get a good night's sleep.

Rochelle, just wanted to remind you that as you are skipping tonight if shooting on a 7am /7pm schedule makes more sense for when you start school. You could shoot at 7am tomorrow morning.
    (I seem to remember that's was a preferred shot time for you)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.