? 02/21-Freckles/Judy - PMPS 259, 200@+3, 182@+4 - increase to 6.5u tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Freckles, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Yesterday's post

I'm not sure how long it takes for Levemir to create a depot. Unless something really funky happens tonight (which I doubt it will) I'm wondering if I should increase Freckles' insulin to 6.5 u tomorrow morning?

So far, it doesn't seem that the switch to Levemir from Lantus has fooled her little body.

@Wendy&Neko what do you think about increasing tomorrow morning?

2. Judy and Freckles

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I will let Wendy talk to you about the increase.
    I just wanted to say... give the levemir time. It takes up to 6 cycles to fill the depot and you have started on a lower dose than you were on with Lantus, which we recommend you do.
    I swapped Sheba over to Lev. The first time was before my Fdmb days and I didn’t give it a proper chance. A few months later I swapped to Lev again and I had a much better attitude towards it and I gave it time. I ended up loving Lev. So did Sheba.

4. Judy and Freckles

Thanks for sharing Bron. What did you and Sheba like so much about Lev?

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sheba seemed happier on Lev. Somehow more settled. She had later nadirs so longer in good numbers on the days she wasn’t bouncing. Her onset was usually around +3 or +3.5 and she used to have her fastest/ biggest drop soon after the onset.

I also liked the price :joyful:.. I could get a box of 5 for $95. The vet didn’t keep it in stock as I was the first to use it, so used to write me a script and I bought it from the pharmacy.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Given it’s the weekend, and you can monitor more, and if she doesn’t hit low blue or green by the morning, I would increase to 6.5 units. My logic is that Freckles gets stuck in yellow/blue, and so far there is more yellow that blue, which in Freckles world means more juice is needed. And we did start with a lower dose for safety, which you rightly pointed out she didn’t need. Most cats need to go up towards the Lantus dose after the switch. No need to hold her back.

Judy, are you noticing any differences with Lev yet?

7. Judy and Freckles

oh yeah, that would make for longer times in lower numbers.

I just love Sheba's little face. She looks like she has lipstick on! :cat:

8. Judy and Freckles

Thanks Wendy. We will go up tomorrow morning.

Can't say that I've noticed anything. What should I be watching for?

Si am cat mom likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

To start with, less wriggling at short time. Over time some notice personality differences.

10. Judy and Freckles

Well, she wasn't wriggling at every shot time with Lantus. I started keeping track where the shot was when she wiggled or was grumpy and she was wriggly sometimes, but not always, when I shot the scruff, flank and side of ribs. There didn't seem to be a pattern. Sometimes she wriggled at 4.5u shot and sometimes not, but she didn't wriggle at all at the 7.5 u on Lantus. Talk about cats not following the rules!:p

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  11. Judy and Freckles

Come to think of it, she didn't swipe at Tuxman (civie cat) when he walked by tonight - but she may have also got into a bag of freeze dried liver treats that DH left out that I found chewed and empty by the time I got home - so may have a bit of a tummy ache. Both Freckles and Tuxman are counter surfers so it could have been either one of them. Last night Tuxman opened an upper cupboard where the bread was placed (DH used the oven for supper - the oven is the 'normal' place to keep the bread in this house) and attempted to hi-tail it out to the porch before being caught red handed. We have two food thieves in this house and they are both black and white!:cat:

Sonia & Leo and Bandit's Mom like this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

We used the microwave for storage. LOL on the thieves. My civvie Theo (also black and white), was a semi feral I adopted after he had been in the shelter six years. He didn’t know how to behave in houses. Learned from Neko around the time she was probably showing her furst signs of Acro. Not the best role model. :p

You will have to post a pic of Tuxman sometime.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  13. Judy and Freckles

Something about these little black and white kitties.... A totally wild kitty (I wouldn't even say he was feral) showed up at the farm last fall. He's also black and white. I called him Bandit because of the way he slinks around the yard. :rolleyes: 7 months and I still haven't been able to touch him, but last night when I was putting his food out for him under the chop house, he actually stuck his paw out and touched my hand. I guess he's a bit curious too.

14. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

We named our tuxedo Bandit because she looked like one - mask and all. Little did we know that she would turn out to be such a scaredy cat. She jumps at her own shadow! Total misnomer.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  15. Judy and Freckles

Sounds like she could be a sister to Tuxman! He’s the only cat I know that likes to go and check cows in the truck. :rolleyes: I swear he thinks he’s one of our Border Collies!!

As long as she looks like the “tough one” that’s all that matters. :)