05/21 Boomer AMPS 113 +3 104 +6 74 PMPS 70 +3 67

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, May 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning!
    AMPS 113 shooting 1.75u
    Was hoping to see green again this morning but it did appear from his PM +3 that he was starting a wee bounce.

Boomer ate most of his overnight fuds but left some of his +6 and a wee bit of his +9.

Yesterday Allen started refusing almost all food offered. He didn't eat his dinner (at Boomer's PMPS) at all. He has had several small pukes over the last couple of days. I gave Cerenia (pill form) last night at PMPS. There have been no further pukes that I know of but it hasn't helped his appy. Last night at +3 I wanted to make sure he ate before we went to bed. Tried 3 or 4 different foods. Finally resorted to a tsp of salmon ff which he hasn't had since starting the kidney foods. He ate that. I left him with a bowl of chicken pate, a bowl of salmon, and his +6 auto feeder with turkey. He did eat the salmon last night but nothing else. This morning he ate a bit of ff turkey & giblets. These foods are not good for him but it is what it is; he has to eat. Adding p-binder to them. Did some research again about the diazoxide because we doubled the dose a couple of days ago to help bring up his BG. Can cause nausea, diarrhea and inappetence. :blackeye::arghh: Giving some mini meals today. I do have mirtazapine on hand. Will be talking to Dr Larry today or tomorrow.

And of course when I was digging all these foods out for Allen, Boomer decided that he didn't want the turkey pate as his extra +3 food :rolleyes: He's been so very good about eating his food lately, I was surprised! Ended up giving him a combo of chicken pate and higher carb ff and he ate that.

Today it's sunny and warm and we are hoping to go for a drive somewhere this afternoon after Boomer's +6. We'll see what happens with Allen between now and then.

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Prayers and vines for Allen...I hope Dr Larry has ideas to help get his appy back on track while being able to maintain the increased diazoxide...

Boomer...no being fussy!!

Beth 73 and Judy and Boomer like this.
  3. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

More prayers for sweet Allen :bighug::bighug: Hope you and DH can go for that drive ...we Momma beans MUST take care of ourselves :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Beth 73

A thot on food, Judy ... have you ever tried Whole Earth Duck pate for Allen/Boomer ??? It’s Elmo’s best fav and is kind to kidneys, pancreas and thyroid . :):):):woot: Lizzie says Petco carries it :D

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  5. Judy and Boomer

No I haven't tried that one although I have tried duck before and they didn't like it. I'm in Canada so not sure I can get it here.

6. Judy and Boomer

I think I've read in here or on the Facebook page that the cerenia shot is more effective than the cerenia pill-form. What's everyone's experience with this? Is it a sub-q shot that I can give? How often is it given?

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  7. Beth 73

Judy, I get Whole Earth from Chewy and Amazon. I have all 3 of my senior boys on it . Would be glad to send a few cans so you could try it :bighug::):cat:

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  8. Judy and Boomer

Thanks ! :bighug::bighug::bighug: I see that I can buy a case on amazon.ca so let me check with a couple of local stores to see if I can find a couple of cans.

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you can balance everything out for Allen so he will eat consistently for you. I hope Boomer lets you get out today. Sending prayers.

10. Judy and Boomer

At +1.5 I offered a bit of ff turkey & giblets to Allen. He ate it and wanted more. YAY. Sticking with the ff (and adding p binder) for now and will try to go back to purrfect bistro and his kidney foods in a few days.

PussCatPrince - GA and Beth 73 like this.
  11. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Stacy posted a bunch of Cerenia info a week or so ago in Asia's condo - it's in the subject line so you can probably find it there.

In my experience, the shot does seem more effective than the pills; however, it is much more expensive than the pills. My vet seems to be extra expensive, but cerenia injections are either $49 or $59 EACH (I can't remember which it is, but at that price, it doesn't matter). Stacy did get a vial of Cerenia, which does make it a bit more cost effective (I don't know how big the vial is, though). This is probably one of those things that every vet is different about, but my vet feels the injection lasts about 3 days, whereas the pills are 24 hours. It is a SubQ injection, and it does sting most kitties, and of course it is a considerably larger injection that insulin.

Another affordable option is ondansetron. I don't have as much experience with it, but it is more of an anti-nausea med, whereas Cerenia is more of an anti-vomiting med. The two can actually be used together if needed. You can get ondansetron either as pill or SubQ injections.

Stacy & Asia and Judy and Boomer like this.
  12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Sometimes cats need both cerenia and ondansetron for nausea. They work in different ways. Ondansetron can be dosed every 8 hours if needed. Max did well with ondansetron most of the time. A few times I switched it up to cerenia if he vomited.

Cerenia shots sting but are better absorbed than pills. Ondansetron pills did work well. Look at drugs.com for pricing. I usually bought from Costco or on line.

Stacy & Asia and Judy and Boomer like this.
  13. Judy and Boomer

Thanks Amy! I will go have a read of Stacy's condo. Wow my hope was that the injection would save money! And perhaps the Ondansetron might be a better option.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  14. Judy and Boomer

Thanks Elise!

15. Judy and Boomer

+3 104
    Noticed Allen looking at something out of our bedroom window....Daisy and Duke Duck are here for a visit. They had a little swim in our wee pond and were drying themselves. I went out with a cupful of seed, threw it on the ground and they came right over. Had a little food then back to the pond.

16. Judy and Boomer

Allen is eating a bit better now. I'm still feeding fancy feast.

Beth 73 likes this.
  17. Judy and Boomer

18. Judy and Boomer

We went for a drive to Hawks Cliff (named that because thousands of raptors migrate through there each fall) on Lake Erie hoping to see some migrating birds before they all disappear from this area. And @Beenie (GA) guess what I saw...two Indigo Buntings! So excited; as I mentioned yesterday I've never seen them before. But how strange that it was mentioned yesterday and today I see them!

Beenie (GA) and Mandy & Rex (GA) like this.
  19. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I hope Allen feels better. There are some great low P food options, maybe have some on hand when you need to entice him to eat and he won't eat the renal diet? Then you don't have to feel so bad that he's eating awful foods, I still add p binder to even the low p foods.

The Cerenia injection does seem to last 2-4 days for Asia, every 3-4 days is about how often I give it now unless she's in a rough spot. You can give it sub-q, but depending on the amount, insulin syringes aren't suffice. Asia is about 10 pounds and I give her .5 mL which would be 50 units and require more than one syringe. My bottle is 20mL and the amount I give Asia, if I gave every 3 days, would be 40 doses worth and last 120 days. It was $160 usd for me, so it works out to about $4 a shot, pretty affordable. The dosing amount may be the problem with the oral, I would like to hear from others if that makes a difference since I won't be trying it again.

20. Judy and Boomer

I'm not finding a lot of low-p options in Canada. The ones I've found, Allen didn't like :rolleyes:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  21. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Well that stinks! I’ll think if I can recall any Canadian renal cats and tag them when I do. Maybe the most delicious one Allen would like you just don’t know about yet! ;)

Beth 73 and Judy and Boomer like this.
  22. Judy and Boomer

PMPS 70 shooting 1.75u
    Allen seems to be eating ok now. Still feeding ff. Cerenia has been on board for 24 hours. When DH and I were leaving for our walk after their +6 I left Boomer with a plate of turkey pate and Allen was sniffing around it so I may be able to get him back to his normal foods soon.

Amy&TrixieCat and Beth 73 like this.
  23. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My vet said she could put Cerenia into an insulin syringe for me. There are 50 iu syringes with smaller needles than the harpoons they normally dispense. I gave pills though. If you get a script for ondansetron, make sure you can get the generic. Zofran, the brand name, is close to $4 a pill. :eek: I have heard Costco has good prices on the generic.

Great PMPS Boomer. :D

24. Judy and Boomer

Thanks @Wendy&Neko.

25. Judy and Boomer

26. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I'm in Canada, not sure of other food stores, but my local Pet Planet carries both Whole Earth turkey and duck, and both my boys like it. It's a bit thicker/denser consistency pate than I like, but adding water helps.

27. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Very strange that you saw them for the first time right after I mentioned them:woot:.
    Aren't they beautiful !?!?! I hope the next time you can get a picture:) Here's a pic from Google:p
    Indigo Bunting c22-37-204_V.jpg

28. Judy and Boomer

I did, it's not very close up but it is what it is. In today's condo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.