06/25 Kitten AMPS/239 +2/209 +7/117 +10.5/50 +11/50 +11.5/45 PMPS/74 now what?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by KittenTheCat, Jun 25, 2020.

1. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

Yesterday’s post. Well well well those greens showed up but now just one hour before PMPS! Oh Kitten! She is currently on 2.5 Units and because I’m going away I was going to reduce tonight to 2.0 units to prepare.

My question is if she stays at 50 is it safe for me to shoot the vaca dose of 2.0 units? If she goes below 50 do I feed/stall, no insulin and see where she goes as I continue to monitor or feed/stall and then after seeing the numbers rise inject the 2.0 units (or modified dose?)? First time at 50 so close to insulin time! She seems to love to surf low these days! I did shoot normal dose at a 58 but ooo this one makes me nervous if she stays at 50. I will skip insulin if she goes under 50, but fingers crossed someone’s online who may answer. :) I believe under 50 it’s skip no matter what but I am nervous as she will likely surf at 50!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  2. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

Kitten is just full of surprises today! 45 @11.5! Just gave her a teaspoon of whisky gravy food. My mind was on autopilot of the last mid cycle low... I think I probably should have not fed her and stalled to see where her numbers were headed? Or was that correct?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  3. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

@12 (PMPS) 74... now what?!

4. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

She’s obviously reacted to food I gave her and her dinner is to come too so is it safe to shoot the vaca dose of 2.0 units? I’ll be around tonight to monitor.

@Wendy&Neko @Bron and Sheba (GA) @tiffmaxee

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Answering now

KittenTheCat likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That 74 is food influenced so I would not shoot. It is complicated by the fact you are going away.
    I would skip and let the depot lessen especially as you are going away and will have a sitter.
    When exactly are you going away?
    Has Kitten ever had ketones?

7. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

Thank you. I’ll feed and skip insulin. I leave Saturday morning.

No she hasn’t but I haven’t tested her that many times as I learned about it late. Should I be testing ketones regularly? Or just when there’s a high BG?

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Kitten has also earned another reduction so e need to rethink the vacation dose. It is lucky she dropped low now before you went away. will she eat eat well for the sitter?

9. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

I presume she will eat well, she’s very food motivated. She’s on autopilot for the automatic feeder too (monster my other kitty doesn’t even know the thing dispenses food she shows up so quick!)

What would you suggest for a vaca dose? 1.75? Or 1.5?

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

When there is a history of ketones we just need to be cautious when skipping or lowering dose but if there has been none that’s good.
    I’ll have to think about the vacation dose and I’d like Wendy’s input as well. So let’s see what she thinks.

KittenTheCat likes this.
  11. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

That 74 is definitely food influenced. If it were me, I would skip.
    You will have to keep testing though. Carbs wear off. Most likely she will start to come up on her own but sometimes Lantus will throw a longer than 12 hours cycle at you just to keep you on your toes. Us humans are never amused by it.

12. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

Thank you! What a fun time for kitten to have some low BGs! :banghead:o_O

13. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

Thank you! I skipped. She happily gobbled up dinner! Oh and kitten loves to keep me on my toes! I’m already not amused by her drops as I’m about to go camping and was looking to prep her for vaca dose! :eek:

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, if you look at the Sticky Note on Handling Lower Preshots, you'll see that stalling for a short period of time and retesting is an option. It's one I had to do a lot. Neko often gave me 40's first thing in the morning. I learned that 15 minutes later she would be up and safe to shoot. Option B, should it happen again and if you do see her on the edge at +10, you can give her a couple tsps of LC, to prop her up and make her safe to shoot. If you'd done that at +10.5, you could have shot at +12.5, provided she was still safe then. But this time, it's just as well you found out she was looking for a reduction before you left.

She would have earned a reduction down to 2.25 units. You are proposing a reduction to 2.0 units, which I think will be OK. The thing you have going for you is that first, you skipped and drained the depot tonight. It'll take 6 cycles to build the depot back up. You are only gone one night, so should be back by then. Kitten may also bounce, last time she bounced 4 cycles, then cleared the bounce on the 5th cycle. But that was after only a 0.25 unit reduction, not 0.5 units, and without a skip. 2.0 units is also on the line and easier for a pet sitter. I would leave a sample syringe with coloured liquid in it, showing the dose. If you are nervous about 2.0 units, no harm it dropping it a little more. You aren't gone long, and she will recover.

15. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

Thank you for the thorough answer! I’ll be bookmarking this so I have the info for next time. I think I’ll stick with 2 units while away so long as she doesn’t give me any surprises on this dose lol

Since I skipped insulin and she’s emptying her depot I think I’ll be good to shoot at regular time tomorrow.

I’ve done her +1/81 +2/61 and gave her a tablespoon of friskies with gravy as I had to go out to the store and was nervous lol and then she had her regular LC snack at +2.5 I’ll be testing her +3 shortly.

Should I have a no shoot number for the sitter, I was thinking anything less than 4? She’ll be using the alpha trak 2 so it will be more accurate readings for BG. Likely won’t happen since you’re right, Kitten will probably bounce after all this

And yes I’ll leave out the syringe, it’s a great idea! I don’t have food colouring so my options are making a red solution with some beets or yellow with pineapple juice! ;)

16. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

+1/81
    +2/61 -> tablespoon of friskies with gravy
    +2.5 LC snack per usual
    +3/86

17. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I wasn’t around but see the others were. It’s great to see these nice cycles but not when you’re about to go out of town. Looks like you have worked out a good plan. A no shot number is a good idea but what is 4.0 in US numbers? If it’s around 75 I think it should be more like 90 or 100, especially if the sitter is giving 2.0. I’m a bit of a chicken and probably would have her shoot 1.75.

18. Wendy&Neko

4.0 = 72. Since she'll be using the AT, I'd go with a higher no shoot number, maybe 5.5? (100)

19. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

Oh shoot I forgot to convert it, yes that would be too low. Keeping it above 100 is a better call!
    Yes good idea, I’ll say no shoot number of 5.5

Well kittens +4 is 72... I’m going to do a 1.75 unit vaca dose :D she’s doing great but man what bad timing!! Lol

Now do I give her more food or just continue to watch? She is due for her +5 lc snack in about 30 minutes... I’m also watching her try and snag a few dog kibbles while Hunter rolls his treat ball around o_O

20. Wendy&Neko

Feed if you normally would at this time. Isn't the depot a wonderful thing.

KittenTheCat likes this.