06/28 Mishka +9 434 AMPS 295 confused but increased then panicked.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Frogster, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Frogster

Frogster Member

It's our 4th day on Levemir and first increasing of the dose.
    At night she went from PMPS 385 to +9 434. But at AMPS she was 295. Our first yellow PS - Wahoo? Or not?
    I'm confused.
    According to our vet's leaflet I'm not supposed to make any increases if PS is lower than 324.
    I increased to 1.25 nevertheless, according to TR.
    Then panicked and gave her baby food right after the shot. And now I keep checking if she is asleep or in coma. She'll hate me soon.
    What happened at night? Or maybe the AMPS got corrupted somehow. I probably should do a full 24h testing...
    Our previous thread - http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/06-27-mishka-amps-389-2-371-4-284-6-376-8-410.231536/

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Levemir kitties often have lower preshots than on Lantus. My cat on Levemir often had her nadirs, or lowest point of the cycle at preshot. I had to get used to shooting lower numbers. At FDMB, we suggest even new people can shoot as low as 200, and on this forum, once people have the data to do so, they can shoot a lot lower.r Though you aren't there yet, you will get there.
    Here we determine how to change the dose based on nadirs or low points, not the preshot numbers, unless they of course happen to be the nadirs.

3. Frogster

Frogster Member

Thank you! She is +2 369 now, by the way. I'm a mess.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It’s still really early days for you and Mishka so try not to get too stressed about the BG numbers. It takes time for the cat to get used to insulin and most cats don’t have an immediate effect from the insulin.

Keep testing as you have been testing and try and look at the whole Mishka not just the numbers.
    Is she eating well? Using the LB?
    Communicating with you? Playing?
    It is a bit of a roller coaster in the beginning but hang in there. There is a lot to learn. Read the yellow stickies at the top of the Lantus page and print off the TR protocol so you can refer to it often. You will get there. Keep posting every day and we will help and support you. And keep asking lots of questions. :bighug:

Si am cat mom likes this.
  5. Frogster

Frogster Member

Thank you so much! All this support is so important to us.
    She is not well at all. She's been sick since February, went though a surgery and never fully recovered. Now she is probably at her lowest. I try to convince myself that the reason is in her BG levels, because she seemed relatively fine at the beginning of June at around 280 on canned ProPlan Diabetes right before she started ripping her own face off.
    Now she just sleeps, eats, drinks and pees A LOT, and poops from time to time. But at least she sleeps on my desk now, not somewhere alone.

6. Wendy&Neko

She will start to feel better as her blood sugar gets better. Insulin is a hormone, not a drug, so their bodies take a while to get used to it too. You will need patience, something many of us had to learn.:)

7. Frogster

Frogster Member

It's going to be a tough night, it seems. She threw up twice, had loose stool twice, has no appetite, and her BG dropped to +3 212.
    Trying to feed her small amounts of baby food again, hoping she will hold them in.

8. Wendy&Neko

Frogster likes this.
  9. Frogster

Frogster Member

It seems her teeth or gums are aching. As if she had not enough

10. Wendy&Neko

Poor thing. Has the vet ever checked her mouth to see if she needs a dental? Dental infection can make it harder to regulate a cat.

11. Frogster

Frogster Member

I'm afraid our vets never heard of such a thing as cat's dentist. They can take her teeth out under sedation of some sort I suppose. Although I'm not sure I want to put her through this after what happened during her last time at the hospital.
    Will think about it after I get some sleep. Anyway, I suppose I need to puree all her food from now on.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Is she eating at the moment ?
    Do you think it is her mouth or nausea that is stopping her wanting to eat?
    Is there another vet you could go to?
    She may need a vet visit if the vomiting and loose poops continue. She may need a Snap fPL to check for pancreatitis.
    Do you have any Ketostix at home you can test for ketones in the urine?

13. Frogster

Frogster Member

She slept for a long time, and then drank a lot of water in one go, and vomited a couple of minutes later (probably because of excessive water intake?). Later in the evening she had her loose stools and vomited again immediately after washing her bottom. Probably her nausea was the result of all this...
    I checked our papers. There's nothing about pancreas or lipase there, neither in her Xray conclusion, nor ultrasound, nor any of the blood tests. The latest were a month ago, though there's no such line as "lipase" in her blood test charts at all, and I don't see anything like it in the vet's price list either, though they are considered to be the most equipped in our area.
    And she definitely has problems in her mouth - she runs away from her plate every time she tries to chew on something. She ate a bit of baby food though and thankfully did not vomit later.
    I check for ketones in her urine every time I feel suspicious. Nothing alarming so far, though those same sticks have glucose indicators, which simply go black every time.

14. Frogster

Frogster Member

AMPS 527 today. Now she IS bouncing, isn't she?