07/31 Shmee AMPS 234, +6 116, PMPS 196, echo tomorrow

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo

Shmee is getting the Gabapentin tonight and tomorrow morning for the echocardiogram tomorrow. The echo is to see how is heart is doing since we will be doing the pituitary gland removal surgery. Last time I tried to get him to eat his food with the Gaba he refused, took him to the vet anyway, and it was a terrifying experience for the both of us. My poor guy... So I only gave him 1/4 can at PMPS (normally he gets 1/2) and I am thinking I will wait until +2 and give him another 1/4 can with the Gabapentin so he is extra hungry (then give him his regular +3 meal). If that fails... then I do have oral syringes and I will try to get it down his throat manually but he is a gagger even for tiny pills and I have never tried a big pill like the Gaba... so I am hoping he will eat it in his food here in two hours without a problem. I am thinking I will try the same plan tomorrow AM - only give him 1/4 can at AMPS (6:30) and give another 1/4 can at +2 so he is extra hungry. Appt. is at 11am.

I also got the Rescue Remedy in the mail today. The directions say four drops orally as needed. @LuvinThisPig or @Wendy&Neko said they would give it on a treat I believe. I was thinking about doing that tomorrow morning on top of both Gaba's. Is that too much?? When we talked about it before it seemed like that would be ok but I just want to be sure. He needs to sit still for 30 minutes for the echo, or get sedated, so I was thinking if he has both the Gaba and the RR in him he might not have to get sedated. I also have Feliway now and a new comfy carrier so hopefully it will go as smoothly as possible tomorrow. I know he is going to be so scared... the last time getting his blood was so bad. Me and a few others had to hold him down, ugh.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck tomorrow. Paws all crossed here for the echo results and smooth travelling. :bighug:

When I did the gaba experiment with Neko, I just put it in a pill pocket. They were pretty small pills. The Rescue Remedy, I just put two drops on a treat. Some people rub it on ears or forehead. I think it would be fine to give it with the gaba. Whatever works! Make sure the new carrier has a towel or other blanker inside that has his/your smell on it so it doesn't seem too strange. Says the voice of experience who tried a new carrier at an echo appointment. Sigh! Course there was a delay and barky dogs in the waiting room too.:rolleyes: If the waiting room seems too busy, see if you can get put in an empty consulting room while you wait.

LuvinThisPig and Amanda & Shmee like this.
  3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Will be thinking of you all tomorrow, good luck

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Good luck tomorrow. I hope the echo shows great results as prep for the upcoming pituitary removal.

5. Amanda & Shmee

Thank you everyone, we appreciate it :bighug:
    Update - he ate the Gaba :) hopefully my plan works the same tomorrow morning.

Great advice!

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yo Shmee!! Looks like both of us are having echo's tomorrow!! I'll be thinking of you while I'm having mine done and hopefully we'll both get some good results!!

I should have bought some RR for myself!! …..I guess I'll just have to settle for a double vodka (not before I drive of course)

7. Wendy&Neko

One more thing, bring a towel to cover the carrier in the waiting room. What you can't see can't hurt you and doggies will be less likely to be nosey..

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Good luck tomorrow!

I put the rescue remedy in some water and then I suck some up in a feeding syringe and syringe it into them.

9. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending tons of lucky charms for both echos tomorrow. Be brave. All will be well!

10. Amanda & Shmee

How long before the RR starts to take affect? Wasn't sure what time I should give it to him, it doesn't say on the box.

Haha I will be thinking of you too Miss China!! :bighug:

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No....not China....she's doing great! I'm the one that has to have the echo!! (thus the double vodka instead of RR.....LOL)

Doc says I'm in heart failure so this is the first test to see what's really going on :nailbiting:

12. Wendy&Neko

1-2 hours before travel should be good for RR. I think you can do it later, but I like to let it have time to work.

13. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Good luck tomorrow! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

I give the RR with the Gaba and no issues. This was a life saver for us on the trip because he would get anxious after a few hours... But, 4 drops of RR in a bit of food and he would calm right down. I have not noticed an odd taste to it or an adversity to flavor from Pig, but Pig will eat just about anything.. :rolleyes:

And Wendy is not joking about barking dogs! We had one in the waiting room with us that I swear had emphysema. Towels go a long way to calm a scared kitty. Blocking his view and muffling the noise will help!

You and him, both, will do amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.