09/08 Shmee AMBG 117, +4 52, +5.5 78, +7 81, PMBG 87

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo

Good morning everyone,

This morning has been a little easier than last night food-wise. I didnt want to risk putting the Gaba and probiotic in the food so I just put his flavored liquid meds in there. He ate about half without a problem. I was SO relieved. I was also really surprised at the AMBG since he hasnt eaten since... about 3 o'clock yesterday. I was thinking that since yesterday I switched him to a half Gaba pill, I just gave him the whole pill today just in case that played a part in him not eating. DH went out and got me the Meow Mix Crab meat that Lizzie suggested yesterday since its smelly and I tried putting the Gaba and probiotic in there. He had no interest :/ I also had DH get me some Meow Mix Pates (the 6 and 7% ones), I thought for sure he might be interested in the tuna one but he wasnt at all. So then I thought duh I have regular tuna, so I put the half probiotic in some tuna, and he wasnt interested. I just left it out at that point, in case he wants to come back and eat it later. And I just ended up giving him the Gaba pill orally coated in butter and washed down with water. He slept with me last night and surprisingly went to an old spot this morning... looking for the birds out the side window. I thought that was odd, but a good sign. He is just so confusing.

I have not, I will add that to my grocery list!
    Yesterday during the day he did show interest. He was sitting by the bowl, sniffed it for a long time, but wouldnt eat. That is when he would eventually come back to the bowl multiple times, and after a few hours would eat it. Now the PM and PM +3 meals last night - nothing - he was not interested at all. Although now that I think of it - the 1/2 pill was in him all day - by the PM meal it should have wore off. Maybe that had something to do with it, who knows. I guess we will know better today since I gave him a whole Gaba pill.
    Thank you for checking in on us during your sailing trip - are you still out on the island? That sounds so fun :) I have heard the Canadian coast is stunning.

Thank you all so much for your support :bighug:

JeffJ and Ana & Frosty (GA) like this.
  2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Oh Shmee. I am so glad he's going back to old favorite spots, that's such a positive sign! I hope he gets back to not being so food picky. I know how frustrating it is, but I can only imagine how much worse it would be when there's meds in there. I forget, is Cerenia (? The anti-nausea med) part of his repertoire? Sending you and Shmee lots of vines! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Jill & Jade and Amanda & Shmee like this.
  3. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Did he ever eat the food overnight that you left out for him?

It does seem like slowly he’s coming around. Like I said, his appetite is going to change. He may want to only eat 2 small meals now instead of 4 medium ones. I think this is normal, as long as he eats. I think as he slowly feels better, his behavior will go back to normal, and it seems he does show signs of improvement based on what you’re saying.

Hoping for more good updates throughout the day!!

4. Amanda & Shmee

The Cerenia is, but I do not put it in his food. I tried that the first day and just like everyone said on here - he wouldnt eat it. Since it's 1/4 pill I just give it to him myself, coated in butter and washed down with water. He gets it about 3pm.

I forgot to mention that. He did not eat any of his food from last night. Skipped PM & +3 meal, woke up to the full bowl. That is why I was SO surprised he wanted to eat this morning!

Thank you guys! I hope he comes around too. It's so scary, I want to know if something more is wrong. Monday we have the bloodwork so maybe mroe answers will be provided then. I wonder if I should request the pancreas fpl (?) test too just in case... I know this is s seperate test from the bloodwork, and he would need to fast for 8 hours.
    By +2 he ate all his AM meal (1/2 can)! So I gave him another 1/2 can. I also put the probiotics in there because he still wasnt interested in the tuna. Seems to be eating it well. +2 is also when the Gaba kicks in so may have something to do with it who knows.

JeffJ likes this.
  5. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Paws crossed for Shmee to get his appy back.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  6. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

If they are running bw anyway just have them run a panel that includes the pancreatitis test. Antech and IDEXX use different terms. Antech is PrecisionPSL, IDEXX is SPEC FPL.

7. LizzieInTexas

Have you tried the liver shake?

8. Amanda & Shmee

I haven’t heard of liver shake.

+4.5 = 52! I know you guys said I don’t have to do HC but I’m having DH give him 1 tsp because I’m nervous. He also just had another diarrhea / liquid poop. I’m having DH give him 1/4 can LC before the HC. I’m going out to lunch with my grandma and my mom now, tagged DH in. Ugh my poor guy... he laid on my chest for an hour passed on on the Gaba before I left.

9. LizzieInTexas

10. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Non diabetic cats usually run between 40-80 on a human meter, so now that he’s in remission his sugars are normal. They cannot get hypo without exogenous insulin. I wouldn’t give him any HC food because it might spoil his appetite later for his regular food with his meds.

11. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Diarrhea is likely due to all the meds he is taking. Cats are very sensitive to sudden diet changes so i can only imagine what the meds are doing to his GI tract.

12. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that Shmee finally ate something. It is surprising he didn't touch the tuna - since that is apparently magic elixir here with our kittehs.

Shmee probably just feels bad after the minor brain surgery, since that is what actually happened. And his incision site in his mouth could be painful or bothering him. Leo has the extra growths in his throat from the Acro, and he usually doesn't eat more than 45 seconds before running off.

I hope Shmee's appetite picks up a little. Since he has diarrhea, you may want to ensure he is drinking water. Another trick we use here is tuna juice. That may not work with Shmee. But our kittehs love it. It sounds like Shmee is picking up some of his old habits and that is a good sign. I'm sure he will get hungry enough to eat more food soon.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sounds a bit like nausea. I wonder if trying ondansetron would help. It comes as a tasteless pill (good in pill pockets, dog duck and pea is carb friendly), or injectable. It's a human drug, so just needs a script from the vet tomfill at a regular pharmacy. Downside compared to Cerenia is that it has to be given 2-3 times a day and doesn't help vomiting. Upside, it can be constipating, which could help the diarrhea.

Lock that HC away. My civvie tested in the 40's. Gravy in HC might also upset his tummy. It caused diarrhea in Neko.

ETA: back home now from island hopping on the west coast.

14. Amanda & Shmee

Ok it will be hard but I will try not to touch the HC! If he goes back to not eating, I will ask the doctor about the ondansetron on Monday, thank you!
    His last Cerenia pill was today's. I wasted one when I put it in his food... :facepalm: Gave it at 4pm, so we will see if anything changed after 4pm tomorrow.
    Side note - we both haven't noticed any drooling today, which is good.

I hope you had a nice trip Wendy!

JeffJ likes this.
  15. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Also, just a side note about my own experience with frosty and pancreatitis this weekend (he was just diagnosed) - pain meds can also affect appetite. (He’s currently totally snowed and sleeping in the dog bed and won’t move or eat, and this is a cat who will steal your food right from ur plate right after he eats his dinner).

There’s a delicate balance between pain control so his mouth/stomach doesn’t hurt to eat and getting them so doped up that they don’t feel like eating. This happens with people too - pain medication can make them feel like not eating. And I am now learning this today with my poor Frosty. He won’t be getting a full dose of this medication again (I’ll maybe try half tomorrow).

Really great to hear that he’s not drooling! His mouth is probably healing up. Yay! Hopefully he continues to get better!