10/03 Shmee AMBG 304

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Last post

Hi everyone,
    Sorry I have been away for a while, this second job / pretty much my new small business, has been overwhelming. I decided yesterday not to give him any of the Bupe gel, because he seemed like he might not need pain meds anymore. He did very well and has been very hungry. Yesterday I asked Dr. McCue if we can try taking him off the Desmopressin shot again (down to .5 from 1 unit after surgery), and he agreed we should try. This shot should have only been needed a few weeks after surgery. Well he has been EXTREMELY hungry and thirsty, found him on the counter once and once in the kitchen sink (looking for food or water?). I have already fed him ALOT today... so just trying to keep his water bowl filled. I gave him the shot by 10am and texted Dr. McCue asking what this means for him... If I replaced one shot for another I will be devastated. I also didn't give him the cerenia today, because he hasn't seemed nauseas for a while. I ased Dr. McCue if that was ok too, waiting on his response.

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending lots of :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

He seems to be feeling better and that's great! :smuggrin:

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

:bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️

6. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Great to hear Shmee is feeling a little better every day!

7. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug: from us!

8. Cynthia & Merlin (GA)

Cynthia & Merlin (GA) Member

Sounds like Shmee is on the upswing! Good post today!

9. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

My cat Ravan was diagnosed back in February. He is still drinking a LOT of water & peeing large quantities. My vet says it's from the diabetes not being regulated.
    I noticed you give Desmopressin to Shmee. Was he diagnosed with Central Diabetes Insipidus? What test did your Vet do to get the diagnosis? I'm wondering now if that's what Ravan has.
    I wish there was something that would help him. He seems kinda miserable thirsty all the time. & Peeing too.

10. Amanda & Shmee

Hi JoyBee :) the Desmopressin is becuase of his pituitary gland removal surgery. It is standard to have to have it for a few weeks after the surgery. I am not sure what Central Diabetes Insipidus is. I am sorry that must be frustrating :(

11. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

What a nice report Amanda. Glad to hear that Shmee is doing pretty good today. Also that your second job is starting to warm up. That's good news.

12. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Better report for Shmee.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good to see you are easing off on the meds. :)

14. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Very nice to hear Shmee is feeling better!

15. Amanda & Shmee

10/04 - I weighed him today and he is 14.4. (09/17 = 16.6, 09/23 = 15, 09/24 = 16?). He is still EXTREMELY hungry. I weigh him on my human scale - our weight minus my weight. I know this isn't ideal, and I will finally cough up the $ for a baby scale. Dr. McCue said that is significant weight loss and we need bloodwork asap, so I'm going tomorrow. He also asked if his hair is growing back, and I said yes but not very much, but its only been a month so I think its ok? I sent him some photos. No response yet about that part. He also has shaved legs in areas where his bloodwork has been that hasn't really grown back, I went to go touch it today and he hissed at me, bad. I can't take much more of his behavior changes. Yes I know he is doing well overall but he NEVER hissed at me, ever, before this. I know its just from his pokes and prods which is exactly why I do NOT want to go to the vet tomorrow. Every time it is a horrible experience. I just called them back and told them I need my doctor to do it, and not one of the techs since last time it took two people forever to find a vein.... they said she should be able to in between appointment times. Last time the doctor had to move the needle all around inside his leg to find the vein.... ugh I am not looking forward to tomorrow at all.

16. Amanda & Shmee

Oh yeah and since he still needs the Desmopressin but hates the shot, so Dr. McCue said I can order a tablet. Diamondback has it in a powder and liquid so I will be getting one of those. I told Dr. McCue I don't really care, whatever he thought was better and as long as I get the correct dosing.

17. Cynthia & Merlin (GA)

That sucks Amanda. Really hope he gets a good report. Sending much love and comfort.

18. Amanda & Shmee

Thank you :bighug:

His eyes have been dilated almost all day, with no bupe (which I thought was what made them dilated last time). He ate SO much today, and his mood has been so odd. He sat on my lap for a little bit earlier (DH has gotten love way more than me lately so I was happy about that), purrs, but soon after is hissing at me when I try to touch him. He wasn’t in a good mood the rest of the day either. Meowing sad/mad, I wonder if any pain is back. It’s so hard to tell. He knows I’m the one with a shot or pill usually so he could just be annoyed with me. I wish he could tell me how hes feeling.... don’t we all!! I am up becuase I don’t want to fall asleep just to face the vet tomorrow. I can’t take torturing him much longer. I know I’ve said this before, but I’m sorry if I complain a lot. I am honestly at the point of thinking where this surgery was not worth it. That’s probably not reasonable. I understand that. He’s not happy though. He doesn’t love like he used to. Hes a different cat. He’s off insulin but developed other problems, and I’m so scared to see what the bloodwork holds this time. I’ve started seeing a therapist becuase I’m at a breaking point. All I do is think of him and images of the needle in his leg come to mind, jabbing all around trying to find his vein, all after being absolutely terrified at the hospital in NY, his sad looks, his very weird annoyed meows when I touch him sometimes like he is mad at me, and I don’t like sleeping without him. It hurts. It’s only been a little over a month but it seems like a lifetime. Yes “it takes time”, as you can tell it’s hard for me to accept this concept. And I’m still not convinced that this is all normal. I never was really, and now that fear might actually come true with this bloodwork tomorrow. I am hoping therapy will help with my anxiety or whatever this is. I’m not writing this for pity. I’m writing it becuase I can’t sleep and I know you all have been through such hard times too. I’m so grateful for this community. I wish I didn’t overload myself with this second job not too, I want to go back and re-read all of your support this past month sometime soon because I know it would help me. Thank you. :bighug:

19. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

20. Cynthia & Merlin (GA)

Oh Amanda. You are really in the thick of it. I know you are beside yourself with guilt and fear. And it sounds like anxiety has really taken a hold as well. You, DH, and Shmee have been through so much; seems like times up and everything should be in the clear now. I’m sorry this is facing you. A dear member here uses an animal communicator in times of stress and fear. She has real trust and faith in her (and a few others use her as well). It is something I considered with Merlin, but I got too tied up in his care and I didn’t realize how little time I had left. I am seriously considering using her for Willow as she is confused at the new arrangement/situation now that she is left behind. It’s all I can offer you besides sending all my good energy and strength your way. I wish I could tell you that it will all be OK and that this is just Shmee being ECID, but those are just words and you need much more right now. We are all here willing this day goes very well and it will just be a blip on the journey. Wish I could be there in person and take some of this heaviness off your tired shoulders. Please let us all know what’s going on; we are vested in yours and Shmee’s health and happiness. xxoo

21. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I had problems with the techs taking blood also. My Vet has started taking blood from the big vein in Ravan's neck. It sounds gross,but he can do it in seconds. I hold Ravan in a sitting position with his head back a little & the vet quickly buzzes off a small patch of hair on the front of his neck.
    We lay Ravan on his side & hold his head back.The vet takes the blood so fast Ravan doesn't even blink. ( the vein is so large there's no trouble finding it like with the leg.) I only let the vet take blood, I wouldn't trust the techs .
    Ask your vet if he's ever used this method?
    Ravan hates the car ride also. I found out if I spray a little Feliway in his carrier on the towel about 10 mins before we leave it does help a bit to calm him down. I also sing to him quietly ( I can't carry a tune in a bucket HA! but he doesn't mind )

I hope you have a better time at the Vets I know how stressful it can be for kitty & you. Maybe once Shmee doesn't need to go so often he'll settle down & act normal again. Ravan would run & hide when I brought his carrier out & he was avoiding me for a while after we got back. It took time but now he's being very affectionate following me everywhere. I think they just need to trust us again.

Sending Positive thoughts & energy to you & Shmee. :):bighug:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  22. Amanda & Shmee

This means a lot Cynthia. We are headed there in a few hours and I keep thinking I can do this, one thing at a time and right now that's to get through this visit. I have never heard of an animal communicator before, I will look into it. All he does is stare at me at my desk waiting for me to get up. Then runs to the bowl for food. Hopefully we will get some answers after the bloodwork.

I can't wait for that future! I really hope we do get through this and 6 months or a year from now I will feel better about my decision. That does sound scary about getting the blood from their neck :( but I think its a good idea to think about other options. I will ask my vet if can put the needle anywhere else. Thank you it means a lot. I hope Shmee comes around like Ravan did, it means a lot to hear others experiences. I tell Steve about them and I think it gives us both hope.

23. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Hi Just checking in I know all about anxiety I have it very bad and I know because we love our fur babies so much and with so much emotions that when you Generalized Anxiety Disorder with Panic attacks it is so hard to keep yourself calm Lots of love and prayers:bighug::bighug:

24. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I don't think cats have really, the vivid memories that we have. They seem to live in the moment, so I wonder if they even remembered what happened last week, much less last month. Heck, I can't even remember what happened last month.:eek:

It sounds like Shmee is slowly evolving back to a bit more normal. I would expect some complications from the surgery, but maybe these mood shifts are part of those complications. The still astounding result of the surgery is zero insulin needed. That is the best side effect of the whole ordeal.

25. Amanda & Shmee

Thank you Pamela, I asked a bunch of questions to this group online for travel agents and have had people tell me that the touring plans I suggested could be disastrous for a client of mine. I am crushed. I am not getting support from the host of this small business I am now running and it has turned out to not be what I expected at all. Shmee's appointment was terrible. The Gaba didn't even seem to work today, and she wants me to try alporzolam (like valium, she said?) and see how it effects him so we might have to do that next time he has to come in... I asked if there were any other ways to go about doing the blood draw like JoyBee said and she said there is no way we could do the jugular with how mad and stressed he was. He was the meanest he has even been to me while they were taking the blood, latched on with his claws and wouldn't let go. The blood was taking forever to come out of his vein. So I am at a breaking point. Then, a stranger messages me from Facebook after I posted my questions and has given me more help than my host ever has done, so I am going to stay up all night trying to make my clients plans better, and hopefully that will make me feel better. And hopefully I have time to have lunch with my nana tomorrow because seeing her always makes me feel better! I was thinking that if I didn't have the internet, I wouldn't have gotten her help as well as all of your help and support! Crazy world!

I will do a new thread once his bloodwork comes back. :bighug:

26. Amanda & Shmee

You are right, I just don't want to create other problems. Like his terror at the vet, scared of me, insatiable hunger, still being on the desmopressin. So much money being spent too. I feel like such a Debbie downer.... but I cannot be happy about this until he is ok. I keep telling myself to think of the good things. It is really hard but I need to try harder!! I hope they don't have vivid memories either. I LOL'd at your memory comment, this is so true, a year from now I hope this is all behind us.

27. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I beg to differ. Giving insulin isn't the greatest, but we've all managed it, some for years. What I think is really great about the surgery is no longer having the excess growth hormone and IGF-1 causing damage. Often damage you cannot see and surprises you when it shows itself. Shmee was relatively new in his time as a acrocat. Now you'll be spared all those long term effects caused by the pituitary tumour.

Amanda, I don't know if you've had time to read about Sophie's surgery, but the big eyes are expected for the short term. I know you are impatient for him to be back to normal, it's a sign of how much you care for him. :bighug::bighug: I can related to the feeling of wanting him fixed NOW!

FWIW, I hated it when the vet tech's did the neck for blood. My current vet won't do that. She has a great tech. My old vet used to have to muzzle and towel wrap Neko for blood draws. Current vet had no problem and I used to be there to calm her down.

Amanda & Shmee and Sue and Luci like this.
  28. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I agree with you as well Wendy. The excess growth hormone and IGF-1 causes nearterm and longterm issues. Some of those issues affected Leo.

Also, part of my point was not having to give insulin or measure BG. Yes, we've all done it. But it time consuming, and Shmee can't hypo now....which is something all insulin providers worry about.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  29. John Irene and TITAN

John Irene and TITAN Member

Today TITAN came and voluntarily sat on irenes lap for the first time since he became seriously ill with diabetes. It was a great occasion and feels like a big step forward. His BG was 4.4. Progress is slow but we remain optimistic. Our vet took blood from the neck. TITAN is as good as gold, but we still don't hold him whilst blood is being drawn, we let the vet Gemma and the vet nurse Sarah do their well practised routine. Our T4 result should be out on monday. We are hoping that it's low, and increasing the leventa might make him more lively.

30. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

31. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Amanda, reading your thread today...so sorry you're going thru all this...just hang in there...try to think this won't last forever...every day will bring changes - some good, some not so good...try to ride it out...be patient...lots of support and love here...Luci and I sending our best wishes and vines and prayers for you both! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: