10/07/2019 Mowgli AMPS 124 +0.5 146 +11 131 PMPS 158 +3 173

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AmandaE, Oct 7, 2019.

1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

10/06/2019

Pretty crazy weekend for Mowgli, a very near Hypo event and back to back reducies. 0.25u is the lowest dose of insulin Mowgli has ever had. He’s surfing blue with it so far and it’s only been 3 cycles.

I find it really hard to measure the 0.25u without bubbles. Does anyone have tips for these little doses using the BD ultra fines? I don’t really want to be drawing full units so that I can get down to a quarter unit but that seems to be how I get around it.

Hopefully Melly stays safe today and has a nice surf :)

Sonia & Leo and Beth 73 like this.
  2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Good morning, Amanda:bighug: Mowgli aka Melly Moo has inspired Elmo with a dip below 50 last night, only took me hours to get him up and stay up. Prayers sent that Mowg surfs safely today and that you have peace of mind while at work❤️

Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  3. AmandaE

They keep us on our toes, eh Beth. I’m glad you were able to keep Elmo safe! Hopefully both of our boys keep their shenanigans at bay today :)

Beth 73 likes this.
  4. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Amen to that, Amanda :bighug:

AmandaE likes this.
  5. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Great reductions..

I hope Mowgli continues this path with safe green numbers. Congrats!!!...doing a marvelous job...surf safely Mowgli :D

AmandaE likes this.
  6. AmandaE

Thanks Debra! This is certainly new territory for me :)

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Mowgli surfs safely for you today.

AmandaE likes this.
  8. AmandaE

Thanks Carla! I hope so too! Thanks for your tips this weekend as well, next time Mowgli isn’t too interested in eating in an emergency I am going to try the ice cream method :)

9. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

This is so sweet to see Amanda. I would be thrilled and hoping this new little dose works.
    I'm wasting a little insulin just to get any bubble out. When the dose is so small, one tiny air bubble might matter. I just draw extra, like you do, and thump the syringe with the needle pointing straight up to get bubbles to top, then push ever so gently to push out the bubble(s). I've also had to start over.
    Have a great Monday:)

Sonia & Leo, AmandaE and Beth 73 like this.
  10. AmandaE

It is so exciting to see Mowgli on such a low dose. It gives me hope that I might be reasonable to wish for more than just Regulation in him. We will see :)

I had to redraw this morning too! 0.25u is soooo little. I’m not sure how people measure the 0.1!!

Hope you have a great Monday too Tina :)

11. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Looks like you'll be having that dilemma really soon Amanda!!! I hope so!!!
    Have a great day! :bighug:

12. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

Way to go Mowgli and Amanda! Looks like he's on a mission:):joyful:.

AmandaE likes this.
  13. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Good numbers especially after those back to back reductions!

AmandaE likes this.
  14. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed Mowgli keeps up with the Great BG! :)
    upload_2019-10-7_10-51-17.jpeg

AmandaE likes this.
  15. Tucker12

Tucker12 Member

I also haven't found a way around it on this dose! We use BD syringes too, and I usually end up wasting 1/2 to 1 unit... Even with holding the plunger firmly down on empty, then inserting to draw up, we too occasionally get a small air bubble, which I think at this tiny dose could make a difference. I've have found usually drawing up 1/2unit, then drawing up a bit more air--flick syringe--then adjust to 0.25 wastes a bit less than not drawing up additional air first before dealing with the bubble(s), but it still isn't perfect method either.

Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  16. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I swore at more syringes than I care to count due to bubbles. I could have been imagining it, but it seemed to me that the speed with which I pulled back on the plunger affected the bubble production and there was a sweet spot, not too fast and not too slow where the little nuisances didn't seem to happen or be as bad.

17. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I find with smaller doses that I have to rely on those good ole calipers...as far as that bubble goes...I just draw a tad over what I need, flick away and squeeze and turn the plunger gently, gently to squeeze out the extra...but we haven't gotten a lot of time on the smaller doses...
    .75 is as low as we ever have gotten to...Luci seems to be addicted to her juice...:p

AmandaE likes this.
  18. AmandaE

I agree on the small dose a bubble would definitely make a difference. I also find that the BD syringes stick so often when you're trying to measure a very fine dose, i always end up pushing the whole dose out by mistake! I will try the half unit draw! Thanks for the tip :)

Something to test out! the 'speed' of the draw ;) I hope I can figure something out :)
    I am using the calipers but its more the pushing at the end, I find the BDs bad for sticking! I hope I figure out a good method soon! I will start with a slightly larger dose and work from there :) thanks Sue

Sue and Luci likes this.
  19. AmandaE

Thanks Joy! love the festive fall image :D It's making me look forward to thanksgiving (this weekend in canada :D)

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  20. AmandaE

Looks like Melly had a nice blue surf today :cool: Nice to see on such a small dose :)

ETA: Guys. All of the sudden. It’s snowing :arghh:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Sonia & Leo likes this.
  21. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Well that weather stinks but at least you have Mowgli's lovely day to cheer you up!

P.S. Don't send the white stuff this way.....we don't want it either!:woot:

AmandaE likes this.
  22. AmandaE

Haaaa!!! I’m trying to force it on anyone but me! I’m not ready!!!

Sonia & Leo and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  23. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Are you pushing the plunger up and down a few times before drawing insulin? That spreads the lubricant around a little and helps smooth the action. @Tucker12 trick of drawing in a little air after the syringe is what I did. Little bubbles seem to be attracted to the big bubble when you flick.

Looking for more than just blue Mowgli. ;)

AmandaE likes this.
  24. AmandaE

I do that for sure, I don’t find the BDs are consistently lubricated though if that makes sense. Sometimes drawing is a breeze and some times the plungers extra sticky. This evening I tried drawing extra air and it went better than this morning. I’m sure how tired I was had nothing to do with it ;)

Yes Mowgli! Blue is nice but we would love to see you ease your way into the lagoon. Honestly. After back to back reductions I’m really pleased to see him in consistent blue :cool: just about to grab a +3 so let’s see what he has in store :D

25. AmandaE

Still Blue but interestingly still going up o_O

26. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

One more day and you will see what this dose can do on a full depot.

AmandaE likes this.