10/7 Quincy Finally did BG curve!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by April & Quincy, Oct 7, 2019.

1. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Good morning! I did my first BG curve with Quincy this weekend. The numbers stayed steady in the 300's...so I know I'll have to up the dose. I fell asleep during +2 :)() but got the rest. Just wanted to let you guys see the curve!! What do you think? Up .5?

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Haha! I’m glad you won’t need to get to pretzely:)

Looks like you’ve been able to get quite a few tests in, AWESOME job on the curve!!! You must be so relieved that you were able to get the tests in!

I agree! Quincy has earned an increase!! Typically we only adjust dose around here by 0.25u at a time. You basically just have to eyeball the syringe plunger halfway between the 1u line and the 1.5u line. I forget but did you choose a dosing method here? It looks like SLGS. if you did could you add it to your signature?

I want to say, you’ve done a great job! Good luck with the new dose and good luck staying awake to get your evening tests in!!

Looking forward to seeing quincy work the juice!!

3. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Thank you so much for the kind words!! I'll definitely have to eyeball the syringe plunger for sure. I'm a little OCD so we'll see how well that works out. I did choose SLGS so I'll add that to my line.

I have been fighting sickness or something - the tiredness has got me - but I will get to those evening tests sometime soon!

AmandaE likes this.
  4. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Hope you feel better soon April! :bighug:
    Congratulations on the curve!

5. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Thank you! Just spoke to vet...she wants me to up to 1.5units. I mentioned 1.25 and she said because it's hard to measure she usually doesn't recommend that and that since his numbers are still pretty high that 1.5 is okay. She did mention 2units but that I'd need to be around for monitoring but I quickly said not to that big of a jump.

6. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats on your first curve!!! Without knowing a lot about your particular situation, I am going to chime in and say, I thought quarter unit doses were weird at first, but now for example I am finding trouble getting the right dose between even 1.5u and 1.25u for my cat. Dosing can be weirdly, weirdly precise! If you decide to go up (or down) a quarter unit at any point, here is the sticky for fine dosing (you’ll have to scroll down to it, but I also took a screenshot of it, which is the picture I attached). :)

Attached Files:

Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  7. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

I am tempted to just go up the .5 since my vet seems very knowledgeable but I'm not sure...

As I was reading your link, what is "priming" the pen? Thanks!

8. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Howwwww did you get your congratulations (in your email alert to me) have streamers and stuff pop out of it?!?! That was too cool.

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hi April

Great job with the curve! I’d like to toss some thoughts out for you, though, to help improve Quincy’s numbers.

First, while, based on the curve, it would appear he needs a dose increase, our approach here, for safety, is that you shouldn’t increase a dose unless you know how low it’s taking him.

When I see black that is a bit “isolated”, I think:
    • The BG went too low and kitty is bouncing back up; Wendy mentioned this to you on 10/2.
    • Contraband
    You put in the remarks on the last black that he might have gotten into some contraband. We usually see dry food affecting the BG for a while after contraband.

I have two concerns: one is that you shouldn’t shoot without a test. There are several days where there are no AMPS. Second, even with SLGS, you are missing half your data with no nighttime tests. I understand that we all need our sleep and that you work and have nighttime med needs, etc. However, we can’t give you good dosing advice without knowing what is happening at night to some degree. Cats often go lower at night.

Is it possible for you to just get a +2 and a before bed test every single night? That would at least tell us if he’s coming down any at night.

You posted this a while back as your proposed schedule:

7:10am - Test
    7:15am - Breakfast/Injection
    4:30pm - Snack
    7:15pm - Test
    7:30pm - Injection/Dinner

Always get a PS test even if you tested an hour before. Is it at all possible to get up even an hour earlier so you can get a +1 test? I’d also urge you to get a test as soon as you get home from school before his 4:30 snack. And, then, as I said, a +2 test at night. If you then go to bed, that’s fine but if you are up after that, even an hour, grab a before bed test.

Insofar as your vet’s recommendation to raise to 1.5u, it is not what we would suggest to you here. If you are following SLGS, the increase would only be 1.25u. Vets are not aware, often, that 1/2u syringes exist or that we can dose very accurately (to 0.1u) if we are using calipers. And while many of us have great vets (me, included), most of them do not understand the nuances that can exist in numbers you can’t see.

But even more than that, with the absence of data and not really knowing how low his dose is taking him, IMHO, while it appears he has room to be increased by 1.25u, a couple of days of a bit more data would be better before you increase just to see if he’s flat at night or headed down.

10. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

I knew someone would yell at me for that. :banghead: I didn't test before on some of the days because his ears were so bad from all the poking and I was going to be home to monitor him. It obviously isn't normal and I won't let that be a normal occurrence but I felt safe those days because of that.

My time has adjusted some. I have been giving the shots at 7am and 7pm and I am usually in bed by 9pm but I could get a +2 in which would be before bed. I will probably also have to do a nighttime wake-up at some point. Maybe this weekend to check him in the middle of the night then.

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Not yelling....just concerned. But please know that visually monitoring means nothing. My baby could be playing and acting normal, I’d test her, and she’d be at 20! I don’t want you to think it’s safe when it might not be. I’ve seen cats be at 340 when the CG went to bed and at 40 ...and lower...at AMPS. We can’t take anything for granted.

Maybe this post on Testing and Shooting Tips will help. Quite often, I’ve found the issue with new members having testing problems to be as simple as not having the correct side of the lancet inserted.

Please know my comments are offered just to help you all and keep Quincy safe.

Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You have seen yellows on this dose, so a 0.25 unit increase is the most you would do. If you have problems remembering what 1.25 looked like from shot to shot, or multiple people are giving shots, then load a used syringe with coloured liquid to what you think is 1.25 units. Use that syringe as a sample to compare to, or take a picture on your phone so you can blow it up and see what it looks like.

As for testing, count me in as someone else who got the occasional blood sugar low number surprise, no visible signs. Not quite like Gracie of course, she had a style all her own.

Here is the link to your previous post, including for continuity. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/10-2-quincy-amps-384.219977/

Sonia & Leo and Marje and Gracie like this.
  13. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Thank you for the link to the previous post. Yes, a few yellows, only a few. :( Thanks again.

14. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Thank you.

Marje and Gracie and AmandaE like this.
  15. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Sonia & Leo and Marje and Gracie like this.
  16. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Lol, I have no clue! It must be a setting on your phone or email app. Let's try it again... congratulations!