? 10/8 Tinker AMPS 92 (NS) +3 103 PMPS 142 (NS) Vomited, ketones? :-(

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tinker's Mom, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Tinker's Mom

Tinker's Mom Member

last post http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/tinker-10-04-2019-amps-200-4-196.220070/#post-2454784

:( I have not been testing for ketones... so much going on in my life right now :arghh:

Tinker vomited last night. It was very watery which is weird because we don't put water out for him anymore. For the past few years he almost never drinks any water. If he is thirsty he hops up on the sink and drinks from the tap. I guess he could have gone into the toilet and drunk from there. I will start putting water out.

Anyway I am going to run out and get ketone strips as soon as the store opens. What do I do if his ketones are elevated? :( Is it something I can manage?

Also is there a pinned thread about testing for ketones? Do I have to test it right after he pees? I have some crystal litter pellets.

Thank you all!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Reason for edit: last post
    Beth 73 likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Very good idea to collect a ketone testing kit and test for ketones.
    To test for ketones, collect a specimen of urine from Tinker. Dip the test strip into the urine and read exactly 15 seconds afterwards against the colours on the side of the bottle. Check with the instructions that it is 15 seconds from dip to read. Most ketones test kits are 15 seconds as far as I am aware. Test the urine as soon after you collect it as possible.
    Read the result in a good light.
    Anything above a trace needs vet attention.

Does Tinker have an infection at all that you know of?
    Is his appetite good? It's important he is eating.
    Looking at the SS I see you have skipped 2 morning doses of insulin.
    If you find the BG is too low to shoot, stall, post and ask for assistance. You may need to adjust the dose so you are not skipping doses.
    Please post the result of the ketone test.

Tinker's Mom and Beth 73 like this.
  3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Is there a history of ketones? I don't see it mentioned on your SS or in your signature...

4. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

I stick a large spoon under Elmo when he pees and dip the strip in it, shake off extra urine and immediately compare to the color chart on side of ketone strip container....in 15 seconds results are seen. Earlier in the day sample is taken the better but anytime is also fine. Bron gave awesome, easy to follow instructions:)

Tinker's Mom likes this.
  5. Tinker's Mom

Tinker's Mom Member

No history of ketones. Last time he was DXed we had a really easy time of it.

6. Tinker's Mom

Tinker's Mom Member

I doub
    No infection. I think he is eating OK. Maybe a little less hungry than normal today. (edit: his appetite seems ok and he just ate)
    I thought about giving him a smaller dose to avoid skipping a dose when his BG is on the lower side. But I am doing SLGS and I thought you were supposed to do slow & steady changes? Although skipping doses is not very slow or steady.

7. Tinker's Mom

Tinker's Mom Member

i just tested him... 92! What is going on with this kitty. He is munching away at his breakfast so that's good. He looks pretty alert and happy today. He has been sleeping a lot but IDK, he's a cat. I definitely will not give him a shot until I hear otherwise.

8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Tinker's Mom likes this.
  9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Could he have gone to long without eating that caused him to vomit?

10. Tinker's Mom

Tinker's Mom Member

He didn't pee all day so I wasn't able to test ketones. I put water out but he didn't drink any. I don't think I should give him a shot tonight. He just tested 142 but it was not fasting, he had been eating. I can't stay up much past +2.

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I am concerned you have skipped 4 out of the last 6 shots of insulin.
    Please try and get a ketone test in if at all possible. It is important we eliminate ketones with the skipped shots and vomiting.
    I am glad he is eating better now. Maybe the vomit was from not having anything in his tummy as it looks like it happened at +10.
    Do you offer food during the cycle as well as at preshot.?

Are you able to get any tests in after the PMPS? For example a before bed test will tell you if Tinker is going to drop lower that night. If the +2 or before bed test is lower than the preshot than it will most likely be an active cycle and you may need to test again later.

Reason for edit: removed tag
  12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Tinker's Mom
    What would be good for you to try, would be for you to learn to shoot some lower numbers.
    For example in the beginning you could shoot numbers in the 120, 130 and 140 range.
    What I would suggest is if you get a lower number in the range just mentioned, stall, don't feed then post and ask for assistanc and we will help you through it.
    Learning to shoot lower numbers is the way to getting flatter curves and overall lower healing numbers.
    How would you feel about trying that? It is a bit scary the first time but someone will stay with you.

Getting those before bed tests in is really important if you can possibly manage it.

Also you have chopped and changed the dose a bit from 0.75 to 0.8 to 0.9
    Lantus works best if the consistent dose is kept, except if you drop under 90 and earn a reduction

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Anything above trace ketones means a visit to the vet. Ketone levels can change quickly, so even if just trace, test frequently to make sure it's not changing. Are you adding water to his food? Fluids will also help flush ketones.
    In addition to what Bron wrote - there is this document.