12/1 Ming PMPS = 484, AMPS = 74 + reduction, +1 = 135, +2 = 140, +4 = 218, +8 = 385

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Crista & Ming, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

2. Crista & Ming

Also wondering if there was anything anyone thinks I could've done differently last night? Let me know :)

3. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Crista
    Looks like Ming kept you busy last nighto_O. I have a civvie named Ming:D
    Question for you, how long has Ming been on pred? And is it for his asthma only? Wondering if you considered Flovent (inhaled steroid) to treat his asthma. My Ming has asthma and we were lucky that it wasn't severe enough to warrant oral steroids but it is 100% controlled with the Flovent and none of the nasty side effects of pred. If you're not familiar with it let me know and I can send you info.

4. Crista & Ming

@Beenie (GA) Aww is that Beenie in your avatar? Sure looks like Ming too :)

Ming is taking pred to help with chronic pancreatitis (and in turn, treat the asthma as well). I know the most common reaction to pred here with pancreatitis: that by the time pred is prescribed, the pancreatitis has probably gone by itself. But Ming's had pancreatitis episodes almost every month and half since he was diagnosed with diabetes. He's been hospitalized 7 times since March 2018 (more if I had elected to keep him in hospital the 1-2 times he had "minor" pancreatitis and had the ability to treat him at home successfully).

So... I decided to do it. It was a not a light decision or suggestion made by my vet. We started with 2.5 mgs twice daily. Then kept reducing it to now 1.25 mgs daily. Vet's thinking: to give him the lowest possible dose of pred to help put out any inflammation in the pancreas that might be occurring before it becomes a big flare up. She and I know that Ming is likely to continue to have pancreatitis flare ups but hope the pred reduces the frequency of it.

I can't say if it's working right now. We've been on the pred for a little over a month. The longest he went without a flare up is probably 2 months. But at the same time, we've switched insulins and I'm more active in treating Ming's symptoms than I was before. So any of these variables might be helping with keeping Ming safe from another flare up.

I think we initially thought to just do flovent for his asthma but since we started on pred, it didn't seem necessary right now. Also, I actually haven't noticed him coughing at all since I changed his litter. I guess he's due soon for another x-ray to see how his asthma is doing.

5. Crista & Ming

+1 = 135

The bounce is beginning.. or it might be his food. I'm going to take it away now and see what happens.

6. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

That's her:bighug:

Here's my Ming...my goofball:p
    IMG_5384.JPG

Well that makes sense if the pred is for the pancreatitis then it would be treating the asthma then too!
    On the litter change..yes! I switched to the Breeze litter system (was not easy) but it has NO dust. That was a game changer in this house. My Ming would stick his face in the litter when he would dig around and come up with a face full of litter dust:facepalm:. Certainly not good for his asthma so I can't wait for his follow up xrays in January to see what his lungs look like now. I suspect great improvement:)

Good luck with the reducie!

7. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry for the hijack - but @Beenie (GA), I love Ming's face. She looks like she has lipstick on! :joyful:

Crista & Ming likes this.
  8. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

The "Mings" are adorable!!

Crista & Ming likes this.
  9. Crista & Ming

+2 = 140

I was expecting a really big spike but I was pleasantly surprised! :)

ALSO HE IS NOT AN ACRO CAT! My vet just called me.

10. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Fantastic !!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Great news om the acromegaly. Do you know what the IGF-1 number was? Would have been nice to know about the IAA too, as blood goes to the same place for that.

12. Crista & Ming

No I don’t know the number. But I’ll check it out when I go to work on Monday.

I also wished I had remembered about the IAA test. If he is in some percentage resistant, would it affect anything we’re doing right now?

13. Crista & Ming

+8 = 385

eh bounce

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry, been away all day, so late answering your question. With an IAA kitty, you might a bit more aggressive to keep them seeing green. Since the antibodies can release injection at what seems like random times, you also need a certain degree of caution for higher doses. And you also have to be on the lookout for the IAA breaking and causing some fast paced reductions.