12/11 Chanel AMPS 374

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laura & Chanel, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/12-10-chanel-amps-420.222737/#post-2490745

I would like to try it. The issue is that if she sees that you are actually the one holding the wand, she is like AS IF...But Christmas is coming so I would like to get her things and toys to make her happy and maybe more mobile. I am also planning to get this:
    https://www.amazon.com/SmartyKat-Bu...1619011&rnid=2661617011&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-3
    The bubbles will be round just like her balls and since this morning she was training for NBA, I hope she would get some interest in chasing those bubbles...wishful thinking :)

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I hope Chanel comes down today. Nice job with the title today :)

Have a great day Laura!

3. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

Thank you Sue. Looking back at the SS, I think that increasing to 1.5U might do the trick. We still need to wait for this week to close the 1U cycle. As for the furbaby getting her BG values closer to blue-green, I hope so too, but eating dry food is such a setback. I know she is in good mood but I will try little by little to convince her to eat the wet food only. The annoying thing is that she does not even eat that much of that dry food and hey, as little as she eats, those carbs are just not letting her BG going down as I had hoped. It is living proof that the dry food is bad for her :( I see Luci has lots and tons of greens :) What does it mean: 'days in lagoon' and 'OD"?
    Have a wonderful day Sue!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  4. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Sandra And Buddy (GA) Well-Known Member

Bubbles! I was playing with one of my civies with them and he loves them, but as he was chasing one he ran into a wall and kind of got hurt, Now he is afraid of bubbles. So sad.
    Have a great day!

5. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

The way I know Chanel, I am almost sure she will want me to blow the bubbles in her direction because she handles everything laying down. I suppose she figured out that she looks best from all angles if she is just laying on a side. I hope that once she figures out that the bubbles have catnip, maybe she will raise more than a paw...maybe a leg too? LOL

6. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

Question: the TR and SLGS protocols page has a statement in the beginning saying that the BG values are for human meters. I have a pet meters. Do I have to increase the values with +30? Do I still look at the actual numbers in the protocols?
    Thank you.

7. Sue and Luci

Ok, so when you've completed this week you'll only want to increase by .25. We never raise the dose by .5 increments unless there are special circumstances. You don't want to pass up what might be a perfect dose for Chanel...

I have a line at the bottom of each month, where I put in a 'count' of how many days Luci made it to the green numbers - even if she only gets there for an hour - it's a win. Just a way of making myself feel better about her healing time. Each day that she gets a green number - something below 100 - her pancreas is healing. So those are special to me. It's just a personalization of our SS.

OD = OneDrop meter. I started using that meter about a year or so ago and really love it. It's subscription based allowing me to order as many strips as I want for a monthly fee of $49.95 - I never run out of strips and the meter requires a very very small drop - which I like.
    The numbers that are referred to in the protocols have all been acquired from human meter readings. Your SS is set up to allow the Pet meter numbers to post the correct color when you enter the number.

Have you considered using a human meter? Most of us prefer them for accuracy and long-term use as the strips are much more affordable and we can test without thinking of how much or how many strips we're going thru. Last thing I want to do is think that I've just dropped $30 in a day on strips - and believe you me - on a busy day I can test Luci almost that much in a day - and then of course there are the 'misses'. Sometimes I do it wrong...too much blood on the strip, sometimes not enough...it happens...and there go two more strips - last week it took me 5 strips to get it right...oh well...you'd think after all this time I'd be able to get it right every single time - but I'm only human and I messed up that many times... with the OneDrop it matters not :)

Sandra And Buddy (GA) likes this.
  8. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

How do I get 0.25U increment on the syringe? Mine has units and half units and now I am drawing a blank about how to get to 0.25:(. I will complete the week and then will increase with 0.25U [fat chance to actually decrease the dose; I was just looking at the numbers and realize that the last green I got was after 2-3 days (4-6 cycles?) of 1.5U...we will get there]. Oh Sue, you really motivated me about the green values, I really want my baby to get healed and return to her being a demanding kitty :) I will definitely look for a meter like yours. I have like 200-300 strips that I bought a month ago (I like being prepared but most of the times it looks like I prepare for the end of the world). Sometimes, I was testing myself too because hey, I did prick myself a lot, intentionally and not so intentionally :). But I will get a human meter when I finish the pet strips. So, now I should not look at the values in the protocol as being the values to follow for Chanel. I know in the Roomp's article, they mention a +30 to be added to human meter values in order to get the pet values (which kind of make sense, otherwise I think based on my last personal prick test I might be diabetic too) :)
    I am now making lists of Christmas gifts and baby is the top of the list with toys and catnip bubbles, automatic feeder & fountain. We did not spend Christmas last year at home so I want to spoil her BAAAADLY :)

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  9. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Sandra And Buddy (GA) Well-Known Member

If you are eyeballing it just try to go in between the lines, But If you would like to be more accurate, many of us around here use calipers. It really helps keep the dose consistent. I also second the Onedrop meter. But if you are going to go that route get on it sooner than later it take s time to get it and then get your first shipment of strips. I ended up using the strips that came with it then had to switch back to my other meter while waiting for my first shipment of strips.

10. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

oh oh oh...I need to see if I have one at home :) as for the OneDrop, ok guys, you convinced me. I will put one on my Christmas list and of course many strips :) I will order it soon because with the holidays, I will be lucky to get it by Christmas, I think :(
    Thank you so much Sandra.

11. Sue and Luci

I user calipers for fine dosing. You can get them from Harbor Freight - if you chose to get them elsewhere be sure there is a little knob on the top to 'set' the calculation you have in. https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-...rs-micrometer/4-in-digital-caliper-63710.html

upload_2019-12-11_11-13-36.png You will also want to check here to see if your syringes have been calibrated - each manufacturer is different - if you have any questions about using calipers - tag @Marje and Gracie - she wrote the book on calipers and can help guide you.

As for the meter - here's the website: https://onedrop.today/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3Zio0_2t5gIViYVaBR2SGw9gEAAYASAAEgLp6_D_BwE
    I highly recommend it and they just had a black Friday special where users could sign up for $49.95 per month rather than the 3 month subscription for $150.00...either way it's a great system.

I too prepare - perhaps overly so - but here's a pic of our supply cabinet - this is Luci's cabinet - and it's her's alone :)

upload_2019-12-11_11-15-5.png

I hope this is helpful.

12. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

oh, it definitely is, thank you so so much Sue. So where do I go to see if my syringes have been calibrated. I use BD because Chanel does not like regular needle. Thank you for the sites, love Luci's cabinet. Chanel has a drawer, but she does not care too much about it, except the times when we get the Chewy box and then she supervises me from afar :) not to steal something probably LOL

Sandra And Buddy (GA) likes this.
  13. Sue and Luci

I knew there was a link I'd forgotten: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dosing-with-calipers-updated-w-videos.79851/

I understand about the 'supervision'. Luci always supervises everything I do - just in case she wants to participate - like making the bed - she always has to jump up there and make it more difficult for me :)

14. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

Chanel does not participate, apparently in her book felines do not mix with the 'help' :) I change the bed sheets every week because she sniffs and turns her head (maybe she is allergic to cat hair hahahaha although she does not shed excessively). I have to move her gently (she is not even trying to change her madame de pompadour position) on the new sheets. Then she stretches and offers a satisfied face :) I may not be patient with people sometimes, but it is enough for Chanel to meow in a low voice and I am up and running no matter the hour. She got me TRAINED LOL
    Thank you for the link Sue.

15. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

She doesn’t actually mean “calibrated” in regard to the syringes as you would calibrate a piece of equipment. She means to go through the measuring process to see how many millimeters are in 1u of your syringes so you can calculate your doses. However, if you are using BDs, other members have already done that and it’s posted on my video post that Sue linked. If you are using the same BD syringes, that will save you some time.

Let me know if you have questions.

Laura & Chanel likes this.
  16. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

Thank you Marje. I will definitely look on the link and see if my syringes deliver the right dose. I must say, I never thought of that since insulin syringes are just for insulin and you would think there is no other presentation of it like oily or suspension. Oh well...this learning process is actually fun :) Thanks again and please....KEEP IT COMING....my notebook is hungry :)

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Happy to help at any time. Just tag me if you have other questions.

18. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

PMPS - 395 which is bigger than AMPS - 374. If Chanel continues to rise on 1U, wonder if I have to wait for 7 days before raising the dose. What do you guys think about it?

19. Sue and Luci

Are you not at home to test during the day? It's important on Lantus to get a few mid-cycle tests to see how low the Lantus took her. Try not to get too excited about the AM and PM tests since those are typically the highest of the day - try instead to focus on 2+,4+, etc. until you can find out when she typically nadirs. That's the important one. Please be sure to get a few tests tonight - let's see what this dose is doing for her before thinking of changing it. You need to have 14 cycles at this dose if you're following SLGS.

20. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

OK Sue. Unfortunately, these days I could not come home. Tomorrow and day after tomorrow we have an audit and the entire week we spent in meetings and more meetings. I will do the testing tonight but I can promise you this: I am not changing the dose until you guys say so. I am tired of making the wrong decisions and hurting Chanel. I will keep the dose for 7 days, but I cannot do much about the day testing. I will do the BG curves in weekend. As for tonight, should I test her +2 or +3? Thank you Sue and sorry for being a nuisance.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  21. Sue and Luci

You are NOT a nuisance! Far from it! You are trying to learn - as we all are! There's a ton of stuff to learn and know about FD - it didn't come easy for any of us. Please be patient with yourself and you'll get there! I can tell from your comments that you're a devoted mama bean - things will work out. I'm sorry that I didn't realize that you worked outside of the home and were unable to test all day - hopefully things will ease off at work and you'll be home a little earlier in the evening and can catch a test before the PMPS - and possibly in the morning if you have time to get one just before you leave for work. Everyone has their own schedules to hash out...and sometimes it's more difficult than others.

I usually always got a 2+ when Luci was on Lantus - as that was usually when it started to affect her...if she's going down at all you may want to get a 4+ or more - but you may have to set an alarm if she's dropping significantly later in the evening. No one knows what these cats have up their sleeves for the evening hours...they seem to do their best work at night :)

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  22. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

Oh Sue, please no worries. I have a 2.5 hour commute round trip for work. I am looking into getting a remote job so I can be with my little one and nurse her back to health because she is mommy's princess :) I am still reading, you guys created here something wonderful. However, I spent last night crying looking at the tributes and could not concentrate on anything else. That is true, my furball is a total tiger at night and zoooming around. One of my colleagues gave me her cat's feeder for a week, but Chanel was soooo dismissive. So, I tried to get her to eat FF tuna and she almost ate the whole can (I thought she did not like fish, or maybe she is soooo bored of chicken & beef). I am hoping that if she eats almost the entire can, she may skip most of the dry food. I will do a +2 and +4 and will see if we can go further :) Thank you so so much.

23. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

+2 - 228, Sue you were soooo right. Do I need to take another one at +4, right?

Sonia & Leo likes this.