? 12/21 Mačka AMPS 397, +4 139, +5 80, +6 55, +7 88 Should I reduce dose for trip?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Penelope and Mačka, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  2. Penelope and Mačka

3. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Wow my Zoot! was AMPS 281 and +6 was 82. I gave him some food - just his low carb, and will test again in an hour to see if he starts going up. Are you thinking that you adjust the dose based upon the nadir, not the preshot BG? I am asking because I don't know. Good luck!

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  4. Penelope and Mačka

With TR and SLGS, you base the dose on nadirs, not pre-shots. I am not confortable taking him on this big 14 hour trip with these greens, even though they're lovely! I feel it's too risky :/

5. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Yes was reviewing the TR and SLGS just now - agree that the greens would make me nervous with a pending long trip.

6. Penelope and Mačka

+6 55 :nailbiting:
    I gave him MC 15%
    I think a reduction is due tonight, in order to be ready for the trip.

7. Penelope and Mačka

Hey @Marje and Gracie, do you think ou can help me with my SS? I don't know how to change the settings (I have the pet meter settings, but using a human meter, and now I see lime greens). Thanks!!!

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I think you're fine dropping the dose. The last thing you want to do is have to be testing and feeding while on a plane. One thought is to leave or reduce tonight and skip the shot in the morning.

9. Penelope and Mačka

Yes. I will reduce tonight.
    I don't want to skip the shot because of DKA history, plus on the plane he will be dehydrated.

I was thinking of giving his shot at 6 am the morning of the trip (usual time), then we take off at 12:00pm for Detroit.
    I will give him him dinner and PM shot at the Detroit airport, then we fly right away for a 7h45 red-eye. I already know I won't sleep.
    Once we land in Paris at 10:50am, he will be due for his shot at 3pm local time (that would be the following 6am shot).
    Then it's Christmas dinner on that same day! Phew.

10. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug: Save traveling Merry Christmas!:):bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Have a safe and stress free trip.

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Yes. I can fix it but I need editing rights. If you’ll PM me so I can get editing rights, I’ll fix it.

Have a very safe trip. Merry Christmas!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  13. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I agree with above - reduce tonight, none tomorrow - I don't like traveling with Luci potentially going way down - so I usually try to level off at a dose that's not taking her into the green lagoon - it's just too stressful and difficult to get her out of her carrier, test and try to get her to eat in the car - she's not interested in eating - no matter how much I coax her and different things I offer...I'm not sure why, but maybe the whole trip thing - she just doesn't want to eat - she will eat a very little but typically I have to deal with the leftovers - which I put into a plastic ziplock - but it's all a stinky mess - you don't want to deal with all that on the plane. Be safe, be conservative. He can catch those lovely greens when he gets there.

Have a safe trip! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I would not reduce to 4 units as you have in your spreadsheet, 4.5 should do it. Plus you have a couple days before you leave, to drain the depot and see how low that new dose takes him. I reduced Neko’s dose a bit before travelling, but still gave insulin. I found if I had at least three cycles to drain the depot, it helped keep her safe.

Those low greens are exciting. Macka is doing really well on this dose. :D