? 12-26 Gizmo Marking/Spraying Question AMPS=333; +3=198; +4=129; +5=84; +6=92; +8=94;PMPS=152; +2=289

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chubba (GA), Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Last Post

PMPS = 311
    +2 = 369
    +5 = 359

AMPS = 333

Hoping for a better day today than the past few, but not looking good so far. Increased to 7 units last night. Thinking about trying the TikiCats Velvet Mousse. I know it is 0 carbs, but does anyone know the phosphorus value for the chicken and egg? He seemed hungry for amps, but didn't eat much. After much coaxing, I went back to bed for an hour and woke up to empty bowls (but which kitty ate - who knows :banghead:).

I'm getting very frustrated to be back in these numbers and nothing seems to be lowering them. I'm almost out of insulin. Thinking about just starting the new vial tonight to see if it makes a diffence. But his watery eye has been back the past few days, so my guess is the tumor is pulsing on again. :arghh:

Past few days:
    12-23 PM cycle - starting feeding only TikiCat (0 carbs) - steady pinks ever since (not that he was doing that great the days leading up to that change either). :(

12-25 - refusal to eat much of anything. Managed to get Friskies mixed grill into him throughout the morning in small amounts. Total of about 1/4 can during the first 6 hours of am cycle. I decided yesterday that just getting food into him (high phosphorus or not) was my goal. He has lost almost 3 pounds since Feb when he was diagnosed. I can't seem to get him to gain any back and he is starting to look to skinny. He is just over 12 lbs now, but he is a big kitty.

2. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry about your frustrations. :bighug: Hope you can find a food he likes that will put some weight on him. How can an animal that eats mice be such a picky eater?! :rolleyes: I hear you on the "high phosphorous or not" issue...

Stacy & Asia and Chubba (GA) like this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I’m sorry you’re having trouble getting Gizmo to eat and keeping his numbers down. :bighug:

I called Tiki cat a couple weeks ago for the same reason. Here’s what they told me:

Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse Chicken: carbs 0% phos as fed .23% phos dry matter 1.06%
    Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse Chicken with Egg: carbs 0% phos as fed .22% dry matter 1.01%

MyTitan (GA) and Chubba (GA) like this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It's a possibility that what you're seeing is a bounce off of the blues the other morning. I'd give the dose increase a bit more time to see how much of an effect it has on Gizmo's numbers.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know how the tumor affects things, but some cats numbers go higher on 0% carbs. They need a little bit of carbs. It's backwards, but it does happen. I hope you can balance everything out soon. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Chubba (GA)

I'm beginning to think Gizmo is one of those cats. He is coming down nicely today with a mix of LC (shot meal) and zero carbs (for snacks). It could have been a bounce, but he was so sick and unhappy yesterday that I don't think I'm going to continue the 0 carb all the time.

+3 = 198 :cool:
    +4 = 129 :cool:
    +5 = 84 :woot::D

7. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Woot! Guess he showed you! :D

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  8. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

9. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

I think I'm chiming in late. That said, with all those greens, I wouldn't increase one bit. For some reason, Gizmo seems to be bouncing.

10. Chubba (GA)

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  11. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like Gizmo is using his pogo stick! Hope he stays blue/green for you.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Nice green present.:D

Not sure if acros fall into the same category regarding needing high or lower carbs. Many acros have a working pancreas, and the addition of carbs can cause that pancreas to kick in and lower numbers. FWIW, Neko usually got zero or very low carb raw, but it didn't seem to make a difference if she was getting 8% carb LC canned or zero carb. Yet she was quite sensitive (thankfully) to HC when low. And she could surf for hours on zero carb treats. If Gizmo is losing weight, I would try higher calorie foods, and not focus so much on carbs, as long as it's LC.

Yesterday could have been a bounce. Neko's eyes often teared when her numbers were higher. On the good side, looks like Gizmo hates pinks as much as you do now.:)

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  13. Chubba (GA)

Guess we are going to relook at Gizmo's food to see if we can add some higher calorie foods in the mix to get some weight back on him. Today, he ate pretty much every hour during the am cycle. He complained, so trying to get weight on him, I fed him. So now he thinks, I cry ... mom feeds me. :rolleyes: Hope that isn't too hard to break. :facepalm: Also, he had a snack (2 tsp tikicat) at +8 and didn't seem to effect his PMPS to badly.

Yes, Gizmo is an acro kitty. He doesn't have any other issues (yet). Although we are considering taking him back for bloodwork ... we want to also check his IGF-1 numbers to see if the cabergoline is making a difference.

14. Chubba (GA)

I forgot to mention ... Gizmo peed on the kitchen cabinets again this afternoon. He has done this twice now and once on the kitchen garbage can. The more I think about it and watched him today, I think he is spraying. Not sure why as he is neutered and has never marked his territory before. This is not happening often (several weeks to a month between each eposide). Could this be a sign of something else as well? The other strange thing is that he has "attempted" to mark the cabinets several times. Backs up to them and his tail "vibrates" or "shakes" but he doesn't actually spray.

15. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi!
    The only time Ming has done something like this is when he had a urinary blockage and recently when constipated. Never did it because of constipation until a few weeks ago. My concern with Gizmo is ensuring its not a urinary issue. Has he been peeing in the LB?

16. Chubba (GA)

I was a little worried about an urinary blockage or just any urinary issue. He is still peeing in the litter box (at least I think he is - with 2 cats it is hard to be sure). I'll keep a better eye on him, but the litter box pee hasn't decreased.

It's good to hear from you. I hope Ming is doing well!

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Ugh on the peeing! Have you tried Feliway plug ins? If you take him in for bloodwork, I would do a urinalysis too.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  18. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Bronx's appy did decrease after we started the Cabergoline, but will be interesting to see the IGF-1.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  19. Chubba (GA)

I haven't tried the plug ins, but I do have the feliway spray. It worked for calming him in the car, maybe I will try that if nothing is found at the vets. I was thinking about asking about the urinalysis.

20. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Titan is an outside sprayer/marker, does it on every walk we take him on around the barn and buildings. Fortunately not ever in the house. Do you have feral cats outside? He may be responding to their markings. This is what Titan does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.