? 12/4 Fritz Requesting advice on insulin AMPS 277 +6.5 221 +9.5 195 PMPS 183 +6 115 +11 127

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DebG, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

12/3http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/12-3-fritz-amps-175-8-196-pmps-271-8-247.187515/

Vet is recommending I switch to Vetsulin insulin. He said Fritz would need less units. Appreciate any input you might have.

Late start Fritz and I spent most of the morning at his vet visit.
    I get so frustrated with the vets:banghead: always trying to steer us into feeding kitty crack:arghh::arghh:

I swear I spend most of the visits defending instead of trying to accomplish my goal BW & Exam.
    With all that said we did get his BW drawn and X-ray.

99% of his health issues are weight related. I have been trying since 2008 to control his weight. I am at a loss.
    I'll post his BW results as soon as I hear back from the vet should be tomorrow or Wednesday.

2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for another unpleasant vet visit. I too had many rounds with the vets, it's ridiculous and frustrating. As you know, Fritz needs what he needs in regards to his insulin dose. Doodles started on Vetsulin. He was very sick at the time and I wasn't home testing so of course we ended up in the ER. The vet adjusted his dose based on a once a week bg check in their office. It's a harsher insulin and usually kitties will have pretty step drops/curves...of course ECID. Take a look at some of the SS's for kitties that use it. If it were me I'd continue doing what you're doing with Levemir.

Sorry Fritz struggles with his weight and so far no one has answers for you. Sending vines and prayers for a good BW and x-ray repot. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

DebG and Stacy & Asia like this.
  3. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I have had very little luck with my vet either. I switched vets and the new one prescribed steroids for my then in remission kitty. Ignorant me did not know this was bad for diabetics and he is out of remission. Four days after HE prescribed it my vet asked me why he was on steroids! Yeah. I haven’t told him he’s out of remission and am treating him myself. Thankfully no prescription for insulin required in Canada.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Your vet is mistaken. We'll leave it at that. Neko started on Caninsulin (what they called it before they rebranded it to sell to more kitty owners). It was a harsh unpleasant insulin experience. Fritz would never be as flat as he is on Levemir - which IMHO is the best insulin for larger dose kitties. Neko finally saw blues on 5 units of Caninsulin, but saw greens on 3+ units of Lantus. And Canin/Vetsulin is a u-40 insulin, so each unit is 2.5 times the size of a unit of Lantus. Even if he did need less units, it would likelly be more by volume.

I hated having to defend myself to vets. Who do they think knows their kitty best?:mad:

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I also strongly disagree with the vet about Vetsulin. That is an enormous step backwards for you and Fritz. I feel vets often do this because vetsulin does more closely resemble a cat’s own insulin; moreso than Lantus or Levemir do. But it is such a harsh insulin and it doesn’t give the duration needed. You’d have to shoot it three times a day to get that.

If there was any insulin that he “might” have recommended, it would have been ProZinc because it allows you to adjust the dose to the preshot more than lantus or levemir do. Because Fritz is not doing a lot of crazy bouncing (he does a bit of bouncing but he is relatively flat), I, personally, wouldn’t change him from Levemir.

How frustrating for you to have to continue to defend your treatment of his FD. I think you are doing just fine and you are using a gold standard insulin.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry you had such a frustrating vet visit. I hope you get good b/w results back. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

DebG likes this.
  7. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, Deb. I don't have info on the different insulins, but if it were me, I would assert myself with the vet about handling diabetes per the protocol and either they support you and treat Fritz for his other ailments, or maybe it's time to go vet shopping.

It looks like Fritz started out on ProZinc before switching to Levemir, so at least they already know how that one would play out.

DebG likes this.
  8. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

I agree and I am so thankful I have this forum and such experienced beans to bounce all this craziness the vets try and push off on us!
    Thanks Wendy;)
    Marje I thought so too, those darn vets start to play with you mind when your standing there defending the plan we follow.
    Thankful for your input too.
    I trust your advice and Wendy's too:)

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  9. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Stacy case in point been there done that! I did mention that to him and he just kept on a talking. At that point I said could we please get the BW & X-ray.
    I like to go to the vets for BW and X-rays not FD advice or treatment:rolleyes:
    Thanks Stacy valid point:)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  10. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Carla me too! It is so stressful taking him to any vet clinic. We travel so much and poor Fritz hardly ever gets to see the same vet. To be honest with you they all are about the same. I just walk out shaking my head saying thank heavens :arghh::arghh::arghh: over

11. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

The vet said oh we have the cats come back monthly for tests as most cats won't tolerate tests. My first thought was how many cats have died under his watch.
    I try and be humble and quiet. I hesitate to even say by the way he is a fd kitty, as I know whats coming when I say raw food and 10.5u of insulin. You know the rest all too well.
    I'm with you Fritz stays on Lev. period!!!!!
    Appreciate you Karen:bighug:
    I'm sorry you have had to experience all those vet visits :(:(:(

12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

No way! Don't switch to Vetsulin. It is a fast harsh drop setting the kitty up for bouncing. Also a shorter duration. Keep on keeping on Deb! You have Pred in the mix periodically and overall Fritz is looking really good .

DebG likes this.
  13. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Juliet your one smart lady!!!!!! I cringe ever time Fritz and I head to a vet clinic:arghh::arghh:

Juliet likes this.
  14. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Thank you Miss Bobbie! I would be lost without all of you!!!!!!I was no way going to switch but when your standing in front of what should be educated experienced vets who should know more than you they can get your head spinning... Keep on keeping on is what we are going to do:D:D:D

15. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug:Sorry for the frustrating vet visit Deb. I hear ya!! I have to admit I was lucky my vet basically let me run the show with the FD. I think I earned his respect after he freaked when I switched to Lev and started Beenie on 12 U down from 14 U on Prozinc. He wanted me to start at 1 U !!!:stop: He was shocked at the results!
    If not for this wonderful board lord knows where Beenie's numbers would've been, certainly not greens. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.