18 Nov | Girlie AMPS 623; +4=259 Tips on pureeing/creating pate

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Girlie's mom, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/17-nov-girlie-amps-158-11-70-pmps-103-3-110.186792/

AMPS 623 :arghh:
    Last night: PM +5:15 = 146; PM+ 9:45 = 560
    Not sure why she skyrocketed so high; slept through alarm for +7, but left out food that was gone by PM+9:45. Clueless here unless she had a massive dive in those four hours... :banghead:

How to puree? I've got Fancy Feast with little flakes and Cats in Kitchen Fowl Ball with little chicken pieces that I want to turn into a smooth puree/pate for Max and Girlie, but I only want to do one can at a time. They just eat the gravy/sauce and leave the actual food pieces....sigh...

I tried a hand wand/stick mixer on the CIK, but it didn't puree the chicken pieces - I still ended up with little strings of chicken. I have a small food processor, but it won't do just one can at a time. I'm hopeless in the kitchen, so any tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Back in black, Miss Girlie? No, no, no. Maybe her body is just revolting from all the blues and greens and she just needs to get used to it?

I don't know if you have these where you live, but it's a small cheap food processor called Magic Bullet, they make another one of the same brand for making baby food. It has small jars so you can make small amounts at a time, perfect for a can of cat food. It's one of those TV advertisement products, so it should be relatively inexpensive if you can get them there. I have one, haven't used it for cat food or meats, but it works pretty well from my experience, I ground whole cloves in it once and it worked for that!

Girlie's mom and Gill & George like this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

When Neko started seeing hours in a row of good numbers, it caused a bounce. Looks like Girlie's body freaked out overnight. :rolleyes: She did spend over 36 hours in blues in greens. Something she's not used to - yet.

I've used the Magic Bullet, as well as an immulsion blender, on making easy to eat cat food. You do have to add a bit of water.

Girlie's mom and Gill & George like this.
  4. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Sorry about the black start, but as Wendy said, awesome 36hrs in nice numbers, hope she gets back to business soon.

My wand hand blender has an attachment where I can mince stuff in it, it's small enough that it will mince small onion down into a puree, it would easily mince up some catfood.
    Does your mixer have any additional attachments?

Girlie's mom likes this.
  5. Girlie's mom

Thanks everyone! My problem is that I just want to conver one small can of food at a time. I took a 3 oz can of Cats in the Kitchen, added a little bit of water, and tried with the hand/immersion mixer, but it didn't puree the chicken pieces, which is what I was hoping to do. And the small blender I had wouldn't do it either, because the amount of food was so small. I suppose if I did three or four 3oz cans at a time it might work, but on such small amounts I'm having no joy.

What kind of wand hand blender do you use? Maybe if I look it up I can see what sort of thing I need to get. My flatmate's is just your average hand wand without any special attachments.

6. Girlie's mom

That's good to know - and you're right - thanks.

Can you just throw a 3 oz can of food into the Magic Bullet and have it work its wonders? I have so many little Fancy Feast cans that Max can't eat as he needs to do slurries now, and it's such a waste. But he won't eat if something has been open for a while and in the fridge - drama boy.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I used to use the immulsion blender on my 3 oz cans. One of the few foods Neko would eat when she was sick had some shreds in it that I had to reduce.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  8. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

i think the best way to puree is to run it thru a meat grinder - use the smallest blade size available - and mixing it with water and egg yolk will make it "creamier"...
    Be very cautious about egg yolk - many conditions do not allow it at all - if cat is OK to tolerate it start with very small portion possible - like 1/8 of a teaspoon. I use only farm raised, organic, certifies, never refrigerated eggs (it's expensive here but worth it). Yolk do make texture creamier, pate like IMHO.

Check with someone knowledgeable if daily yolk intake is OK for Girlie... (given she is eating in the 1st place). Ducia loves it, do not get to eat it too often.. ($$$):(

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

You could purée a few cans together and then freeze them in ice cube trays and bring out as needed.
    When I had to give Sheba HC food I used to always freeze the left overs and then mark them as however many carbs they were. Then when I needed some higher carb food I would get out a cube.
    The food is perfectly fine after freezing and much better than leaving in the frig for a day or two.

I would not give Girlie any egg yoke because of her CRD issues ...as it is high in phosphorus.

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Wendy.....all that time in such great numbers just made her liver panic. But we know she can have some great numbers on this dose! And I hope you got some rest.

I also have a Magic Bullet and it works great for doing small amounts of food. Here’s what I have that looks like they have at Target in Australia if you have one near you.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  11. Girlie's mom

Thank you, so much, everyone for your tips! I look forward to purees in our future... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.