2/11 Zoot! AMPS=168 +6=103; PMPS=116; +1=136; +2=147; +4=157

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cinnie Cole, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Doing okay, but have one problem that we a cannot figure out.

His poops remain a mix of light brown liquid and soft semi formed pieces and very acrid smell. This has been going on since before he was on LC wet, and before he was diagnosed May 2019. I am guessing it is not Lantus since it was happening before that. We have been to the vet time and time again, but his bloodwork is always good and does not indicate any issues.

We have tried antibiotics, probiotics, and s. boulardii. We have just started to give ground psyllium husks (basically, metamucil) at his mid-cycle "small" meals (not near when we give him a shot).

Could it be a food allergy? Any ideas what next step to take?

Do other people with diabetic cats have problems with chronic loose stools?

Yesterday's thread http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-10-zoot-amps-148-4-131-pmps-163-3-148.225458/

LilTurkey likes this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

The only time Luci ever had those really stinky poos was when I was trying to feed her Young Again - it's a pork product that's dried. I was supposed to start it in very small amounts and I did...but OMG every time she used her LB we KNEW! And I wished I had a gas mask to deal with it...just that horrible...needless to say I passed that food along to someone else who said her cats loved it...no matter how often I tried to give it to Luci the results were the same - loose, yukky smelly poo...

So perhaps you want to keep notes about which foods you're giving him - and the resulting poo situation. It could very well be that he's allergic to one kind of meat versus another. I've heard that a lot of cats don't do well with the beef FF...others could possibly be the brand or the flavor. I think it's time to try to use one brand/flavor for a day - write it down + results. Next day try a different one and evaluate the results until you find that one or more is more offensive than the last - it may take more than a day to try a particular brand/flavor to see if there are any changes.

Best of luck to you! Nice AMPS!!

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice start for Zoot. I hope he surfs safely today. I don't have any suggestions on the poop. I hope you can figure it out.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  4. Marc & Jen

Marc & Jen Member

When we transitioned FA fully over to wet food we were buying the Fancy Feast variety packs and he was having very stinky soft poops, sometimes with blood in them (which was rather alarming). He checked out at the vet with no issues and we eventually figured out that he was intolerant to many of the flavours and with trial and error we discovered that Turkey and Giblets is the flavour that works best for him.

Now our current issue is our other non-diabetic cat - Molly has been having stinky diarrhea for the past few months. We have also tried everything, probiotics, s boullardi, benefiber, switching out food but its challenging to find a food that works for her that FA can eat as we cannot really separate them (can't close any doors in our house :facepalm:). The vet said it is likely a food intolerance so we are currently trying out Tiki Cat flavours as they seem to have limited ingredients. No luck so far though, so if you do figure it out, please keep us updated!

5. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Yeah - I wonder if it is chicken that is the problem. We use Weruva exclusively for all our cats, but
    Yes, I think that it is (past) time to switch foods to another protein - most everything he eats is chicken based, so turkey or lamb or venison; time to go to Dr. Lisa's chart. Thanks!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Oh man I feel your pain! We have 7 cats, and all are eating the same LC diet but Zoot! and one non-diabetic have poop issues. And both have been to the vet and are healthy and have had stool samples tested. Damn. Let me know if Tikicat helps. As I mentioned in a prior post, I am going to investigate other proteins. Good luck with you poop progress.

Marc & Jen likes this.
  7. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

@carfurby @Sue and Luci
    So at PMPS he is 116. That is pretty low for him, and he does dip down, My vet says if his preshot is below 150 to skip the dose, but I don't want to abruptly stop since he is doing well. However this is the lowest I will have ever shot and I am concerned it is too much lantus. Advice please.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  8. carfurby (GA)

Are you able to stay up tonight and test and do you have plenty of supplies?

Most vets give advice about the no shoot number to people that don't home test.

9. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I think yes, I could stay up and I can test. I don't like the idea of him plummeting because I was sticking to 1.25u. He is so close to this "Alternatively, attempt a reduction when the cat regularly has its lowest BGs in the normal range of a non-diabetic healthy cat (50 - 80 mg/dL) while staying under 100 mg/dl overall for at least one week." that I was thinking of a reduction again. It has been 5 days.

Woe is me.;)

10. carfurby (GA)

A lot of the time when you shoot low, the cat doesn't drop as much. However, there is a chance he could surf greens tonight and may earn a reduction. I'd hate to see you lose progress since you are able to test. I'd shoot his normal dose and get a +1 and a +2 and go from there. I can check in for a little while, but I can't stay up all night with you.

Sonia & Leo and Sue and Luci like this.
  11. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

No problem about your staying up. I will test tonight. But I am nervous.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  12. carfurby (GA)

We've all been nervous the first time we shot our lowest number, but it will get easier. This will give you good data tonight for the future too.

Sue and Luci and Briere Fur Mom like this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You shot 114 and 119 early January.

14. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Okay then, let's just say I don't feel confident about this but I already did the full shot.

15. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

These are beautiful numbers to shoot - nice blues- what was his PMPS?

You're doing great - just think of those greens you'll need to shoot as he's on the road to Remission....it's coming :)

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  16. Wendy&Neko

A +1 and a +2 will help you prepare for whatever will happen tonight.

17. carfurby (GA)

Nice +1. Make sure you get a +2 to make sure that's not just a food bump.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  18. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Really? 147 at +2? Isn't he supposed to be going down? Honestly, he is the wackiest cat. @Wendy&Neko @carfurby your advice for the timing of the next test? Maybe +4?

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  19. carfurby (GA)

It looks like he's going to surf for the night. I'd say a +4 is fine and you may be able to get some sleep after that.

Cinnie Cole and Sonia & Leo like this.
  20. Wendy&Neko

Whatever you before bed test is fine. When the +2 is above preshot, it is usually a quiet night.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  21. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Thanks that is helpful to know!